RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Green Horn

DieselKid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kenworth 850 Off Highway

Wow, this is cool! That's a beast of a setup! Really puts things in perspective with both of those dumps sitting on the deck!!!

Keep up the good work Reg!,

-Alex
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Alex! My wife and I spent some time over the weekend camping in an area where some real off-highway trucks still operate hauling logs. We passed a loaded Hayes HDX yesterday on our way home. I must say that you feel pretty small in a full size pickup with a camper when one drives by on a two lane road! With 15' bunks they own the majority of the road and you get what's left! I pulled over as far as I could and we waited for the truck to pass! There aren't many of these trucks in use anymore so the remaining drivers are the best of the best. No worries about them not knowing if they can pass or not!

http://youtu.be/y1UiiJOIzQk
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

That would be very scary coming down the road at you!!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM

JohnStilwell is on a distinguished road

Wow, I mean... have the road dude, it's all yours!! What's he grossing, 160 Tons or more? Cool vid Reg.

John
Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Haha, One of our friends is a driver. He has a bumper sticker on the rad guard that says "As a matter of fact I do own the road". Very fitting I think. I believe the trucks were designed to carry 100+ tons of logs but of course when conditions are good and the roads aren't too steep they load on a lot more. Most of the places they are logging now have some nasty grades with a lot of switchbacks so the loads are more moderate like in the video. Even with a smaller load there is close to 3 highway truck loads on there! Very cool trucks in person.

I like this video on YouTube....http://youtu.be/7UHChCRe6hI?list=FLr...tJ-DusnO8Onw7A These trucks are the real deal!
Old 10-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Thats insane, you definitely need your sea legs for that ride the way it sways back and forth.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:15 PM

JohnStilwell is on a distinguished road

LOL, love it, yes, TOTALLY fitting Reg.
Agreed, INSANE. Imaging the feel of that 100+ ton 'push' going down hill, dang what a rush.
Sea legs and balls of titanium!!! like basketball size!

John
Old 10-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Green Horn

PaulNZ is on a distinguished road

On the other side of the world, Canada and New Zealand are similar in so many ways, climate etc, but it is the Logging Industry that is the closest, Canada and NZ are the only two in the world that Log big tree's, mostly because the trees come from Canada, Pinus Radiata (Pine) is the most common but there is also Redwood and Kauri Logging which is unique and demands very big gear, check the video link below to see some current Pine operations in NZ

http://youtu.be/YIXoZzfBJK0
Old 10-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Interesting video Paul. You are correct that we have a very similar forest industry. A lot of good old BC equipment has found a new home in NZ. Even some of the manufacturers have set up shop there build yarders and log loaders. There was a big auction here on the island back in 2008 and a lot of the equipment was sold into New Zealand. At least that stuff was spared the fate of the scrap yard and has been put to good use.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:20 AM
Green Horn

PaulNZ is on a distinguished road

Yes, I spent many years working for Hitachi Machinery as a Diesel Mechanic, a lot of the crews had Hitachi and John Deere machines and I spent many days and nights working on their Madill swing yarders among others.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

in the past we have sold used 535 CAT skidders to Australia. We had to strip it right down to pieces and clean it and reassemble. If they found more than two hands of dirt at shipping, it was a major fine on us. Makes sense though, prevent introducing insects etc to a foreign continent .
Old 12-31-2014, 01:01 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Reg,

I just stumbled onto the slide show video, wow!

I am trying to get started on the truck chassis under my NyLint dragline. I know with all your skill and experience this will be hard to answer but what did you use for plans or design ideas as you built the logging truck?

Could you say something about the drive train? I saw one picture that looked like an off the shelf gear going into the diff but is it a solid axel or a live diff?

What sort of mill are you using for this sort of stuff? I purchased a 10" lathe a few weeks back and of course now I realize I ALSO need a mill!

Thanks for the inspiration, now if I can keep away that overwhelming feeling I get when I think about working on my stuff.

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Reg,

I just stumbled onto the slide show video, wow!

I am trying to get started on the truck chassis under my NyLint dragline. I know with all your skill and experience this will be hard to answer but what did you use for plans or design ideas as you built the logging truck?

Could you say something about the drive train? I saw one picture that looked like an off the shelf gear going into the diff but is it a solid axel or a live diff?

What sort of mill are you using for this sort of stuff? I purchased a 10" lathe a few weeks back and of course now I realize I ALSO need a mill!

Thanks for the inspiration, now if I can keep away that overwhelming feeling I get when I think about working on my stuff.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I actually get some enjoyment out of watching that video myself. It reminds me of how much work it really was but also the processes involved to make each part. I didn't go by any plans to build it. I took a ton of pictures of the real trucks along with some measurements of critical parts. From there I just tried my best to make the model look like the real thing where I could. The rear ends were built using HPI Savage diff gears. I used the older style that don't have the drive cup attached and then made my own axle shafts to fit the side gears. Both diffs are open. The drive motor is from an 18v drill. I have a BF30 mill with a SINO DRO. Having a DRO is awesome for someone like me that doesn't know anything about machining. It's kinda like having the answers for a test you haven't studied for! Don't let yourself get overwhelmed! You will do fine, all you need is confidence because you already have talent! I am just about to start scratch building a pair of Rockwell 4640 diffs for a Hayes truck. I may need to read my own words of encouragement there to keep from giving up on them!lol The biggest problem for me will be trying to make 2 that are the same....

Reg
Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Reg,

Not only do you have some exceptional talent you sir are also a diplomat! Thanks for the very encouraging reply! I'm heading out the the shop to see if I can put some of your encouragement to good use!

Jim
Old 02-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tried to do some logging yesterday. It wasn't much of a success. Truck driver parked it completely in the way and the skidder ran out of fuel... You just can't hire good help these days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RTj...tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Y6...tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I dusted off old 115 today and hauled some logs. My wife and I were out in the woods yesterday and saw a couple of off highway trucks hauling wood so I guess that's what got me motivated. The load on the truck is roughly 80lbs plus the 46lbs of truck and trailer. It hauled it like a champ and I think, looked good doing it.

The tires get just the right amount of squish!

Videos are coming.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Videos from yesterday... This truck is so big that it needs every inch of the road. If you screw up you don't make the turns much like on the real logging roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBLDQ_PyfrI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAbzrzXLSR0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4A6dr_ilss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zou39Hi0ino
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQHYCNfxpKk
Old 05-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Wiskybilt is on a distinguished road

Reg, I enjoy watching all those videos. I even crack a smile on all the "N" scale commentary. That is still my favorite truck.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:36 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Some great shots with the scenery Reg, the KW is your best ever masterpiece that I don't think you'll ever top.

But imagine if it had a gravel dump behind it, how much more use you'd get out of it instead of being just a pretty trk driving around?

Joe
Old 05-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiskybilt View Post
Reg, I enjoy watching all those videos. I even crack a smile on all the "N" scale commentary. That is still my favorite truck.
Thanks very much. I try to keep the commentary clean but every now and then some bad words leak out.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
Some great shots with the scenery Reg, the KW is your best ever masterpiece that I don't think you'll ever top.

But imagine if it had a gravel dump behind it, how much more use you'd get out of it instead of being just a pretty trk driving around?
Thanks Joe. The KW is definitely my defining piece and I think you are right, I will never top it. The main reason I think that way is to be honest I doubt I could ever devote that much time to another build. It really was my full time job for several months and I became very emotionally invested in the story behind the real truck.

I know what you are saying about the dump option. As cool as it is to have an RC logging truck like no other it is not very practical. If however, I were to build a log loader that may change....