RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough
Default 5 stage hydraulic clyinders

I'm going to throw something out there for you all to think about. With the lack of choices that we have, in hydraulics, it has been limited to the length of dump trailer that we can build. The wedico is too short with its 3 stages, and the scale art with its 4 stages is still too short for a scale trailer with a good dump angle. there is just no one else reliable to step up to the challenge in building a longer dump cylinder. Well a couple of us have been very frustrated and someone has finally stepped up and done something about it. Ed (heavy duty) has contacted Scale Art with this problem, and they agreed to make us a 5 stage cylinder. The extended length will be 24 inched long! the price will be about 665.00 each ,if we order 5, if we order 10 the price will jump down to 610.00 each. Now I already have 6 spoken for with a 7th pretty sure. Is anyone else interested in something like this? I know that this seems pricey, but Scale Art makes a product second to none. I also comes with a lifetime warranty, if any thing goes wrong it will be fixed free of charge! Please let me, or Ed know and if we get enough orders the price may come down some more. They are very eager to build this for us. Thanks!

Brian
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 stage hydraulic clyinders

Brian, I am interested .......need a few more details on EST'd deliverly, prepaid or deposit, if so, when by. But i am interested.

Rob
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Sounds very appealing, but still very expensive, even at $610. Is there anyway we can find a machine shop, company, or even an individual inside the USA that could produce these for less? I think the Euro's value is killing us! If we kept it inside the USA, it would be nice. There has got to be someone who can do this kind of work inside the states.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

"There has got to be someone who can do this kind of work inside the states."

well there is but he's a little way away from it yet also , the more scale he gets , the more time it takes . the way scale art builds them is well worth it . I would sping for 2 If I was not so h#!! bent on making my own + having to replace my fuel pump on my truck (why they put that stoopid electronic POS on a good motor is beyond me )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Sounds very appealing, but still very expensive, even at $610. Is there anyway we can find a machine shop, company, or even an individual inside the USA that could produce these for less? I think the Euro's value is killing us! If we kept it inside the USA, it would be nice. There has got to be someone who can do this kind of work inside the states.
I agree Nathan. this issue has been raised many times from different people. I even contacted a vendor in NJ I believe. When I asked him about making a small scale cylinder. He had told me that a model truck dealer (Ric) in the US had contacted them several times about this but they weren't able to do it. the one thing about Scale Art is that you get what you pay for.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I'm sure I could build some if I was interested enough. But $600 each that may be enough to change my mind. I'll get some practice when I make a couple short ones for my Payhaulers.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Green Horn

heavy_duty is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone.I contacted scale-art because we were out of options here in the states.We are at a point where we need the cylinders now.A couple of people have been planning on doing cylinders and WE ALL KNOW OF A JOKER HERE ON THE BOARD FROM WEST COAST THAT'S screwing everyone on the cylinders.So I went outside the box and found someone.I tried several machine shops here in the states,no luck.So I welcome everyone to try and build some,I would support you and buy from you.Let the builds begin.AND REMEMBER NO JOKERS ALLOWED.

ED
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Brian, Get me some more info on the dimensions and I'll look around one of my special tool drawers and see what tooling I can come up with. I sketched some ideas on some paper this evening and may have come up with a solution. I'll have to draw these ideas up on CAD to see how it'll work. Been looking for a challenge since I'm at a standstill on my dragline lately.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

I have them planned , But , just not now , I have to much going to start into another part . I held back for awhile out of respect to the other feller .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road

I had thought bout making them but have gotten so busy with other work in the shop I haven't been able to even look at simple hose barbs since the initial ones I made.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Brian, and Ed, I completely understand the limited resources for this kind of stuff in the states, and I appreciate the leg work you guys are putting into this project/group buy. I know sometimes you just run out of options and have no choice but to pony up the cash! I look forward to the day when we can self-support our hobby here in the states, with our own supply of aftermarket parts, and look how far we've already come. There is still time for growth in the hobby here in the USA. We'll get there someday. It's great some have stepped forward with ideas and maybe some production cylinders, made in American? Let's hope!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Green Horn

Nathan,you are absolutely correct.We would doing ourselves a great service to keep everything produced here.I know that's my goal.I learn from all of you guys every time I look here on the board.To all you on the board,keep on building and we will support you.that's all folks.lol

Ed
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Stepside will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Brian, and Ed, I completely understand the limited resources for this kind of stuff in the states, and I appreciate the leg work you guys are putting into this project/group buy.
well said!

I appreciate the hard work and leading the charge also! Looking forward to an update on this

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Stepside will become famous soon enough

Gentlemen, any updates?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I have some cad drawings I drew up and just got some tubing in yesterday. If I get some time this week I'll give my design a try. Another member suggested to me that the ram should extend at least 30'' for a dump trailer to get close to 60deg. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Can someone give me some info for the attachment and closed height dimension? I could go over to my friend's shop and check one of his 1:1 dumps though.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Steve the closed height should be about 5 inches and the attachments would be pins about 1/8 inch or less on the top and bottom. I was thinking a 1 inch lower tube and then a 7/8 3/4 5/8 1/2 3/8 and 1/4 with the 7/8 to 1/4 being the stages and 4 1/2 inches long would give you about 30 inches. This way if you wanted a shorter cylinder just subtract a stage or start with a smaller bottom tube and go up. The hole problem is the sealing of the stages, not to tight and not to loose. This is only a suggestion to the problem and I think I am going to give it a try either with O rings or packing or both. Ed
Old 06-16-2012, 05:51 AM

justin is on a distinguished road

Any updates
Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Green Horn

I talked to scale-art a week ago and they stated I would have it in my hands this month.So as soon as it arrives I will post pics.

Ed
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Green Horn

Default Re: 5 stage hydraulic clyinders.taking orders

Hello all.Those of you that were at Indy this year got to see and feel the new 5 stage cylinders from scale-art.This guys are made from stainless steel and look great.They are making 6 of these cylinders total,3 are spoken for(Ed,BrianPa,and his buddy who bought his trailer)that leaves 3 more available.They cost 504 euro,I know thats steep but you only have to buy it once.I am also ordering 2, 4 stage cylinders.(ed and jd) they are 336 euro.Don't miss out guys,let me know asap,they will be here in a cou[le weeks.Thanks Ed.

Last edited by heavy_duty; 08-21-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: messed up
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Thanks for the update Ed! Guys these scale art cylinders are worth the money. As light as my dump body is on my latest triaxle, the body comes down without tapping it down or added wight!