RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Body Shop Tech

Body Shop Tech Body mods and tricks of the trade and painting tricks here.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default 3D Printing Thread

Since joining the forum about a year ago, and using my 3D printer for lots of my builds and projects, I get a few PMs here and there asking questions about how and what regarding this great technology which has so many uses and appeals to the modeling, and functionality of RC. I thought it should have a spot somewhere formally on the board where interested members can ask questions and post up projects and techniques.

Im in no way an expert, and only have experience with the machines I have but since first getting started in 3D printing almost 2 years ago, Ive come a long way in learning the "dos and donts" and may be able to help if someone has a question.

There's plenty of information on the net about the types and machines out there, whose machines are selling the best, the layer heights, what materials to use so read up if your considering buying a machine. Im not saying in any way my method or utilities are the best, but im happy with them and use them on a daily basis. They work well for my needs which have been for many different areas.

First thing is "design". Make sure you can produce something to print before you buy a printer. Finding shared designs and printing them is cool but the ones that suit my specific needs rarely exist. Go to http://www.thingiverse.com/ and look around. Lots of neat ideas and nick nacks but ive never seen a shared file that helped me with the side steps or makes my excavator hub look like this...

A couple of the most recent parts Ive made...

So this is the Greatest part about having a 3D printer, and Ive said this time and time again...I just think of what I want and a little while later I have it in my hands! It still seems incredible sometimes.

I use 123D Design to design the parts i want to print. Its a free and easy to use program which has had a bit of a learning curve, but what program wouldnt. Ive never tried any others, as this one seemed more my speed and after getting deep into the workings of it, I found it did what i needed and have produced some complex parts using it, so Ive never looked elsewhere. The program converts the design to .STL file which my printer recognizes.

I have 2 Printers, 1 at home and 1 at work, They are Afinia H479s and i feel they are one of the top of the FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) machines out there. FDM is the most affordable type of 3D printing now. I got my machines for 1700.00 ea, and Afinia has a new model out now which is a bit cheaper so the prices are dropping slowely. You can still buy the 479 for like 1200.00 which is an incredible deal versus the H480 which has an auto leveling print bed now. IMHO knowing how to manually setup your machine, like leveling the bed, is one of those things that helps you to solve problems and understand how it all works, which you will have plenty of, so go into this knowing theres alot to learn and alot of parts to be tossed..The FDM type machines are a bit crude and not perfect compared to stereolithography, or the Holy Grail, Selective Laser Sintering (SLS)where these machines use lasers and produce high quality looking parts with little to no post print processing.... But FDM has its benefits. My machine can use ABS plastic to build parts which I absolutely cant do without, because it can be welded together easily, sanded, comes in many colors, and is cheap and accessible. Youll find that alot of times due to the parts orientation as its being built, sometimes it needs to be sliced up and printed in sections. So being able to easily weld the parts back together using acetone and a brush is very easy to do. Also ABS can be processed using boiled Acetone to flash melt the outer surface to give the part a glass-like finish. I do this regularly and is very helpful and gives a great appearance. Another aspect that shines about my Afinia is that its loading program generates its own support structure to support overhangs on the part being printed where alot of machines out there do not. When I was researching a machine to buy, this kept coming up over and over again and is what convinced me to buy the machine I did and its such a useful part of the process, i couldnt imagine trying to print parts without that help.

So I hope this helps to answer some of the initial questions anyone has when looking for some direction on the subject. I know Im grateful to get the help i need on the board when trying to figure out how the **** the electronics or radio is supposed to be set up in my excavator, or other things im totally green about

Good day, Jason
Old 04-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Wannabe

Default Re: 3D Printing Thread

I know that the rush for development of consumer based scanners is up due to the rise in popularity of 3d printing. I know there are a few out now which are quite expensive..guys were hacking up the xbox connects and using them as scanners with some success and I had read that Microsoft got word of that and there was talk about them refining it and maybe producing a scanner. Makerbot recently released a consumer based desktop scanner. I remember reading about it and for whatever reason I wasn't excited about it.. Too small or poor definition.. Can't remember. The real good ones used in the manufacturing industry are still the best but cost around 8-10 gs I think still. Checkout 123D catch. It's a neat app that allows you to capture 3d images but it's very crude, but you can see where the technology is headed. I think they still need to work on the consumer side of this field, I'd give it another year and it will start to get better. I may start looking around again then.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:23 AM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
I know that the rush for development of consumer based scanners is up due to the rise in popularity of 3d printing. I know there are a few out now which are quite expensive..guys were hacking up the xbox connects and using them as scanners with some success and I had read that Microsoft got word of that and there was talk about them refining it and maybe producing a scanner. Makerbot recently released a consumer based desktop scanner. I remember reading about it and for whatever reason I wasn't excited about it.. Too small or poor definition.. Can't remember. The real good ones used in the manufacturing industry are still the best but cost around 8-10 gs I think still. Checkout 123D catch. It's a neat app that allows you to capture 3d images but it's very crude, but you can see where the technology is headed. I think they still need to work on the consumer side of this field, I'd give it another year and it will start to get better. I may start looking around again then.
makerbots scanner is completely trash, not worth the money esspecially when there are scanners out there for 3x less the cost of makerbots digitzer which limits you to a small 8" turntable...
Old 05-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

OK boys , let's not F'up a good informative thread

: big bro is watchin :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point

yes lets not!, anyway's back on topic......What kind of 3d printer are you running JDH429?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
OK boys , let's not F'up a good informative thread
What part of this post did no 1 ____ing understand ????

Brian / Chris air it out in private !! I believe that's where it started !!

no need to reply to this !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Animal is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 3D Printing Thread

Hi Jason, thanks for starting this thread. I've just stated doing some basic research on 3D printers, so I'm looking forward to reading what people have to say about their personal experience and thoughts. I'm not sure if and when I may get one, but I'm hoping . The excavator looks fantastic. Please post some more pics of it and other things you've printed.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:26 PM

RCKiwi is on a distinguished road

I back what Animal said. Thanks for this thread Jason. I know I didn't have much of a clue about this sort of stuff but have picked up quite a bit from your first post. I too would like to see more of your printing experiences and the bits and pieces you create. Thanks for sharing this stuff!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:01 AM

rsd53 is on a distinguished road

Jason, yours is a much needed thread. I'm ready to jump into this technology, but the amount of information and opinions out there, makes it difficult to determine the best fit for my needs.

Would you mind sharing what printer you have settled on, what program(s) you're using, and the raw materials you prefer?

Maybe some day there will be a dedicated section just for 3D printing.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Wannabe

Thanks, Im glad this information is useful. I was a bit overwhelmed too when trying to decide what direction to go when i got started. The answers to some of these questions are in the first post...

Here are a few pics I have on hand.

Draft of a Pete 281 hood im working on.

My KW

G scale trains cab i made for a guy

few boxes of the many test parts ive kept, all the others get recycled

Old 07-14-2014, 01:38 PM

Daveroo is on a distinguished road

id like to know if you drew the KW cab and hood ect in the 3D program you stated above?..or did you use photos/scale plans?....when working with Gmax ( and i wonder if it would work for 3D printing)on aircraft for fliht simulator,all the guys need is a good 3 view line drawing of the aircraft,and some how they import it into Gmax and they have the start,then work from there...

this website, http://www.aitruckmodels.com/ has 1/25th scale resin cabs and interiors,and other goodies,like wheels.

im wondering if it would be worth it to purchase ,,oh say a Mack B-615,scan the parts into the CAD design program,enlarge to 1/14th scale and 3D print?..or can you use the CAD program to import 3-view photos to get the start?...

Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Wannabe

I only have ever used 123d Design for any of my builds. I draw them by eye. I wish i could give more help on other possible options, but have no experience.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM

ok cool...and awesome to the "by eye" work....very well done good sir!
Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 PM

heres a program for use with 3D printers....

http://www.repetier.com/documentation/repetier-host/
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Apprentice

MoRockN is on a distinguished road

Jason, Thank you very very much for the info! This answered many questions I had, I am thinking about getting a machine to make some parts I need for my scale setups, not to sell or turn into a business, more for fun. I have asked people before but never got an answer, like Travis said on another thread, sharing was a one way street. Have a great day !!

Ayoub

If you got it, a Trucker brought it....
Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Well add another idiot with weed eater spool of parts to the ever growing list of my abilities to do something that resembles a good part.

-- beauty is only a light switch away & everything look better with alcohol. !!

Yup, I have entered the print world, well not yet but in the mail. Purchased a combo Afinia 480. You have been correct with what I have found about prices, reliability , support, assembly, and machines!! I like the ability to have potential support a simple phone call away, USA based. Keep us updated on even the simplest of things as I'm sure I'm not the only one with interest in your trials and tribulations. I have yet to ask of help as I usually can figure it out myself but,,, the design and build software is to be my biggest hurdle. (Got two left thumbs and can't ever find the damm power button to get electronics turned on ).

Question, in reference to finish of parts, did you refer to vapor boiling in acetone? Or were you actually boiling acetone? (I've done my share of finger loosing things but I don't think I'm gonna be boiling that on the gas stove!).
And what plate are you printing on? Glass? Painters tape?

Again thanks for sharing and eager to see and hear more, thanks !!