RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > Welcome New Members

Welcome New Members A place to introduce yourself to the membership.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 PM

Rick.K is on a distinguished road
Default New to RC Trucks

Rick from Rhode Island. Long time admirer of RC modeling, first time owner and builder. Just received a Knight Hauler, radio, and MFU from Tower Hobbies. These kits are a handful by themself. The custom work on this site and Youtube are beyond belief.

Looking forward to the build and learning this new hobby. Have been into 3 rail O Gauge model railroading for 2 years. Building railroad layouts and scenery, and the truck building both will be as much if not more fun than the operating.

Have already learned a ton from this Forum. looking forward to learning a whole lot more from the collective enthusiasm and experience resident here!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New to RC Trucks

Welcome aboard Rick, we're glad to have you.

It sound's like you have quite a bit of experience already. I can't wait to see what you have planned for your build. Post some pictures as you build and ask questions when the need arises... and remember to ALWAYS HAVE FUN!!

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 AM

4X44DAD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to RC Trucks

Welcome aboard Rick
Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Journeyman

flatdeck is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you want to come and play with us Rick....

Wayne
Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 PM

When I downloaded the manual for the Knight Hauler, saw all the parts (tiny parts) and the 3 speed transmission pieces I said to myself "do I really want to do this?" One hour into the build I was hooked.

The 3 axle refrigerated trailer arrived today. Hitec 645mg servos by Tuesday. The info and great builds on this site are the real motivation.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 PM
Journeyman

The great thing about the trucks is they're mostly screws, nuts, & bolts. If you ever want to up-grade or change a part, it makes it easy. Not to mention that maintenance is a snap when you don't have to worry about a lot of adhesives.

- RCT

Old 08-23-2014, 12:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum family Rick.

Enjoy the vault of imagination and talent at your finger tips right now!

Got a question don't be shy, got pics to share....don't be shy!

Mario
Old 08-23-2014, 06:39 AM
Green Horn

gismow is on a distinguished road

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd propose to exchange the standard motor by a better one. The standard motor is too fast. In addition you should spend a bit of money for a ballring set. It will make the truck run smoother and it extends the time you can drive with one battery.

My first truck also had the gear box, but in the meantime Ll my truck do have gearbox drives from Servonaut like the GM32U370. It's a real cool and realistic driving.

Have a lot of fun with your truck and trailer
Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 AM

My two biggest challenges right now are: 1. Getting the radio control part of the truck right, and 2. Where do people go to find good equipment and accessories.

The radio control is a matter of learning how to install and then use the r/c features since I've never done r/c before. I purchased the Tactic TTX 404 with the combo set from Tower Hobbies (and might of bought the last one from them since it is no longer offered with the combo and is listed as discontinued on their site).

As for equipment and accessories I started with Tower since they appear to be (and have been so far) very responsive and reliable, but then I see on the Forum or Youtube all of the equipment and upgrades out there and ask myself "where did all of that come from?" I found items like RCmier aluminum rims, Tamiya oil shocks, and the animal grill guard, but they are from RC Mart in Hong Kong with a US phone number, and I'm not willing to chance that when I can't find any reliable info on the company. And I'm years from fabricating parts like the amazing work on this site.

Bottom line, there is a whole lot more to this hobby than I realized. I've got pictures of my Knight build, but only on my IPad, and they are 2 meg in size. Too big. Need to move and resize them.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Journeyman

Smile Re: New to RC Trucks

As a novice, a good place to start finding accessories is:

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=5693

Good Luck,

- RCT

Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the gang..
Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 AM

Thank you RCT. Once again the Forum is a fantastic resource.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 AM

flamefighter47 is on a distinguished road

Welcome Rick their is a wealth of knowledge on this site just by looking around your in good hands.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 PM

Well, I would like to upload a photo of my work so far, but do not have a photobucket or similar account. I'm surprised this site does not permit up[loading photos directly from your computer.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Journeyman

Arrow Re: New to RC Trucks

You can transfer photos from FaceBook and such if need be.

- RCT

Old 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM

Phyreman1914 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the group. I've been here about a month but bought my first truck a year ago this past weekend and now have five. Just picked up one at the show this past weekend
Old 08-26-2014, 12:35 AM

About a third of the way through my Knight Hauler. Assembled all of the electronics tonight for the first time (I bought MFU-1).

I must have the wrong radio. It's a Tactic 404TTX. Has one lever that centers on right, and only one trim slider switch under left lever. Throttle and steering are on the right, gear shift and horn on left. It works but I can't access all of the MFU features.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM

Well, I now have a portion of the electronics installed (MFU 01). The kit is great. The instructions, especially for the MFU leave so much to be desired. They are no help identifying most of the screws and some of the parts. I'm installing the speaker above the sleeper so I van install the cabs interior. instructions are no help here at all. Having to take the cab base back off to install the MFU controls in the drivers step, I saw that one coming and did it early.

But the MFU works. The transmission was a challenge, but it works well first try and was a fun build. I'm not a fan of the vibration unit. No truck shakes that much these days.

Overall this is a blast. Wish I had bought this truck sooner. I have the Tamiya Attack radio, and it worked great right out of the box. Will need to make shift and steering gates for the face of the radio.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Done!

Finished the truck last night. Was able to install of the electronics in the sleeper so that I can have two front seats and a cab figure. Made a divider between cab and sleeper. Found a picture of a Freightliner sleeper interior to attach to the face of the divider. What a a mass of wires!

Still trying to get the hang of the Tamiya Attack radio, but all features work (took the vibration unit out). I have the 3 axle reefer, will start that in the next few days.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Re: New to RC Trucks

Sounds like a great start Rick.

Be aware that by putting a partition between the sleeper and the cab you could be cutting off the air flow to your electronics. The ESC has heat-sinks to help it stay cool & keep it from over-heating, but it still needs to "breathe". Just be certain that you have enough air circulation to for your unit.

The sleeper interior façade sounds like a great idea. Some of the members here have actually built sleepers with the batteries mounted under the bunks.

- RCT

p.s. I agree about the vibration unit. Glad you are happy with your decision. I always found that not only did they vibrate too much, but they also seemed like they would loosen the trucks nuts/bolts & screws.