RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Mechanical tech

Mechanical tech This is for the mechanical parts of a model. Gear reductions, Axles, Transmissions, General drive line

Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 AM

Doggy is on a distinguished road
Default Front driven axle

I have a new project in the making, but I dont really have much driving experience with AWD trucks on terrain as my first 8x8 project is still waiting on the shelf
As I tried driving 6x4 tamiya offroad, I find it hard to get traction if there is no load on the axle. I guess locking diff would make a big improvement in that area. But I would like to know how much of a difference a front driven axle makes in that concept? And do you need a front locking axle, or open diff is enough paired with only rear axles locked?
Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Front driven axle

It'll make all the difference in the world. The right tires help and most of all make sure your rear axles articulate enough to keep the tires on the ground. A stock unmodified Tamiya rear suspension won't do it. My 6X6 Quarry dump truck has a custom rear suspension and all the axles locked. It'll go where no one would take a 1:1 dump truck. It doesn't steer well enough to run indoors but does fine in wide open spaces outside.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=9138
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM

Thats a very nice build you have there! Thats what I would like for my 8x8, something like a crawler truck that can go anywhere.

But here I would like to build simple front axle. I was looking a 1:1 Volvo FMX trucks for some time now, and their multi axle trucks only have 3 running axles, where 2 rear axles are big ones, and the front one is a small on demand unit, used only when needed. So they offer 4x4, 6x6, 8x6, 10x6. I guess in the real world that is enough for construciton site type of terrain.

Thats what I am looking for. And locking unit will take more space. And as I would like to make it bolt on for tamiya truck, that means there is no space. And I dont wont to move any of the stock parts, so gearbox stays, and ride height would only go up by maybe 10mm, as it wouldnt have drop axle anymore.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 AM
Green Horn

mcl fabrication is on a distinguished road

I think I know what your getting at!!! But there will always be something to move or new holes to drill and tap.
What I think your looking for is the Tamiya bruiser, high lift, or etc. transmission. Its the same as the semi trucks. It is set up in a way that 2 hi gears for the rear and 1 low gear for both front and rear. The front axle is not engaged until you put the truck in low or 1st gear.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

I'm working on a Tamiya based 6X6 with Rigid RC axles, suspension and transmission. I have used Tamiya frame rails and aftermarket everything else, have yet to drill or tap a hole but not saying it won't happen.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:46 PM

That looks beautiful, but I only see frame left from Tamiya, and as you said, you need to make few holes on it too. Axles on your ride cost more than new Tamiya truck.

I want to make a simple solution that you fit on a stock truck out of the box, without removing original parts. I guess I need a prototype asap and start testing it. I will try to make open diff version first.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

Not to forget the tires....To have the proper tires makes also a big difference. I will say the 'Hauler' serices of tires from RC4WD is the best I've tested..softer than most other tires out there. It does not matter so much if its a small or large pattern, it's the softness first of all. http://store.rc4wd.com/Hauler-17-Com...res_p_728.html

Last edited by Rimrock; 06-24-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM

Didnt try the rc4wd tires, I use Lesu offroad tires and they are super sticky and soft compared to stock tamiya.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

The tires Claus has in the last picture above are by far the best I've tried so far, they are the same that are on my 6x6 and work very well off road.