RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tournarocker Diversion Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Very nice! Thanks for the insight! So judging from your photos, it looks like you use a reamer to make the bushing and bearing holes more precise? Would an end mill leave the fit sloppy?
I first drill undersize, then bore, then ream to finish. If I want real precision I'll hone the bore. On the lathe I always drill, bore to make everything concentric then ream if necessary or hone.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Nice work steve-Those look like planetary g.m's. plus more gearing to the pinions. You should have lots of power!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Dozer Builder

td9clyde will become famous soon enoughtd9clyde will become famous soon enough

nice work this is another cool project
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Finally got the other ring and pinion ordered and now I have it installed in the gear case. I put everything together and taped the electrics on and gave it a try. The thing steers and very nice but the motors are WAY too weak to do any justice. Actually there's a gear inside slipping on a shaft as I can hear the motor running. This is my first time mine you,that I have built a RC vehicle other than my walking dragline so this stuff is all new to me. I'm going to have to try some other motors but the size will be a big factor. The Swiss Maxon motors are sure nice quality motors but I don't understand the numbering system they use to choose the proper size and RPM,and the green ones I've been picking up on Ebay use their old numbering system and there's no old links giving this info.
I'm going to look at some of the BaneBot motors I guess unless anybody has any ideas but as far as size; They need to be no more than 1''OD x 3.5''L and speed around 300rpm.
Drilling wheels. The old toy wheels sure wobble!

Ring gear spool:

Tapping spool:

Found out that some of the Traxxas gears are heat treated, I fixed that with a quick annealing from the jewelers torch.

Cooling down

Inside the 2nd gear reduction:

Finals:

I'll have to make a cover I guess for the finals .
Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Green Horn

crawler07 is on a distinguished road

How in the **** did you get the gear mesh set without having any adjustment!!! I guess when your good your good!!I look forward to each and every post from you man..Why not just use a couple of RC4WD 45,55 or 65 turn motors?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

That's some nice machine work!

For Banebots planetaries, the 540/550 sized gearboxes are 1.5 square, O.D. Length varies with the number of stages. I have a 256:1 sitting right here and it's 2 and 13/16" long. That's just the gearbox. Motors add length. You might have to go with something smaller. They make some 390 sized planetaries, but I don't know the dimensions. They are really good about listing all the major dimensions you need, right online.

I'd suggest checking out Servo City's precision gearhead motors too. They are more compact, run on 12-24 volts and can be purchased in a variety of RPMs.

You can always mix and match Banebots planetaries with different motors to get a good workable RPM range. Just need to do some simple math and figure out what the motor's Kv rating is. Kv = RPM/volt.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Journeyman

rockNmayhem is on a distinguished road

Wow that differential looks great. I love how it fits just inside the body, are you going to bolt it staight in or are you gonna make a complete frame for it to go with?

Tyler
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Very nice work steve-I didn't realize these motors were this small. This is the same problem I had -finding small dia. motors with enough torque but I had 1.35" dia. to work with. Have you looked at "robotmarketplace". They have some small dia. motors but are not going to be high in torque rating. The "beetle-62:1 is .86"dia. and 300RPM but not much torque. Hope you find something, I'm anxious to see this work!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Green Horn

JensR is on a distinguished road

Some things to consider:

Angle the whole assembly slighty (or a lot) upwards. This might offer a bit of space.

Use motors with non-concentric (eccentric) output shafts and arrange them so that they use the space better. (There's quite a bit of empty space between the motors now, so the motor housings could be rotated inwards with eccentric shafts.)
RB35 motors, replaced with 380/400 sized motors are a force to be reckoned with and have eccentric output shafts.
Como-Drill also makes some nice gear motors like that.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Looks real good Steve we will get to see it work in a few weeks. The evacuator is almost done and maybe I,ll get the loader done also. Ed
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensR View Post
Some things to consider:

Angle the whole assembly slighty (or a lot) upwards. This might offer a bit of space.

Use motors with non-concentric (eccentric) output shafts and arrange them so that they use the space better. (There's quite a bit of empty space between the motors now, so the motor housings could be rotated inwards with eccentric shafts.)
RB35 motors, replaced with 380/400 sized motors are a force to be reckoned with and have eccentric output shafts.
Como-Drill also makes some nice gear motors like that.
I've been looking into that type of motor you described. Pittman here in the states makes some like that. I haven't attached the drive to the toy yet so there is some room to angle about there but only 3''wide to work with. Most of the more powerful motors are getting close to 1.5''w.
Here is one that I'm considering:http://www.anaheimautomation.com/pro...tID=103&cID=46
The model R19 is looking pretty good but looks like a special order in that ratio. I may go with the R27 but may need to overdrive the secondary reduction some. My final output speed is: 35RPM but would like to see 50rpm so it won't be so boring on a long haul.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

If you have the room for a 1.25in motor the Carson gear motor that they use for there scissor dump would be perfect for you, that is what we use to run the screw drives in our dump trucks. The shaft is offset to one side. The torque of these motors is unbelievable and it is the right RPM you are looking for

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Travis, That looks like one of the motors I've been looking at. What rpm are you running in that hoist?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler07 View Post
How in the **** did you get the gear mesh set without having any adjustment!!! I guess when your good your good!!I look forward to each and every post from you man..Why not just use a couple of RC4WD 45,55 or 65 turn motors?
Look closer, There is some milling on the case where the pinion protrudes. I took about .015" off on one side and .010" other to get the pinion depth set. The brass bushing where the axle leaves the case; I can face some off there also. Both gear sets are not exactly the same and I had more trouble setting up the second set of gears. If this design works out, I do want to add ball bearings on the pinions and axles. But they turn pretty freely right now.
The motors, as I posted earlier, Have to be small gear motors and have ample torque to pull the load and fit into the narrow space under the frame.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Green Horn

JensR is on a distinguished road

These motors are close to the RB35 (popular in Europe) and even come in more rpm choices:
http://servocity.com/html/3-12v_gear_motors.html

Edit: these might be the same that Espeefan suggested?
They do have a 12-24V section as well, but the sleection is much smaller thanj for the ->12V motors:
http://servocity.com/html/12-24v_gear_motors.html

Similar style motors are offered on ebay, mainly being sent from China/Hongkong, search for gear motor.

Last edited by JensR; 10-29-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9W Monighan View Post
Thanks Travis, That looks like one of the motors I've been looking at. What rpm are you running in that hoist?
300 rpm. I am running them directly to the all thread.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 10-29-2011, 10:07 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

That gear box looks great Steve. You could probably start building gearboxs and they would sell like hot cakes.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtpusher9 View Post
That gear box looks great Steve. You could probably start building gearboxs and they would sell like hot cakes.
I see you're lurking about these days Joe
If this gearbox works out, it could be beefed up some and used in a dozer. I have an old Doepke D6 that this would fit right in the frame. A undercarriage would have to be built also. But I have enough projects started at the moment to build one of those.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Wannabe

RCTech9 is on a distinguished road

Great Work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'll be using 2 of these motors for the gearbox now. I just ordered the 3rd one down with the 14:1 ratio. Hope it has the power and speed I'll need.
http://anaheimautomation.com/product...tID=103&cID=46