RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Talking For those dusty days on the construction site.

I have been building PFB this water truck for a while now. I built the tank and the spray bar, the pump is out of a coffee maker and the truck is driven by an R2 and TLT axles. We are not sure on wheels and tires yet but the one's on it will work for now. I had a chance to get it plumbed up for a test today.

Click here for a video.

Thanks for looking.
Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: For those dusty days on the construction site.

Hmmm.. deja vu .. this is what I'm just starting to make.. though mine will be bigger.

This will certainly be good for Nate, that topsoil in his basement is absolutely brutal when it's dried out!!! Can't play for more than 20mins & you start inhaling that $#!&!!

Did you drill holes in the spray bar? I was thinking of making a slit in the tube with dremel cutting disc, kinda like spray nozzle tip so the spray pattern fans out in a mist.

Joe
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

I drilled the holes but I think you are on the right track by cutting slits in the tube. I think it would be a good idea to use the thinnest blade you could find for the slits. The one good thing is I made the holes the right size to thread in a 3mm set screw so I could slit the base of a set screw and thread it in to see if it makes a difference.

Travis

Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: For those dusty days on the construction site.

Check irrigation sprinkler heads. You should be able to find some small enough to look accurate and yet give you the proper spray pattern that you would hope for. I worked on a golf course with my father for over a decade and I was amazed at all of the different equipment available on the market when it came to sprinklers.

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Out of control

The guys I work with got a good laugh when I told them I was making this. When water trucks come back in off rent at work everybody finds something else to do so they wont have to work on them as they are the most abused piece of equipment we rent.

As for spray tips this kind of truck does not use spray tips on the 1:1 like the Ag sprayers I use to work on and I have worked on almost every brand of Ag sprayer you can think of. The truck are really simple they have a pipe that tee's in the center and goes out to each side and has a 90deg elbow turning up at the end. On the elbow they screw on regular pipe cap that has a slit cut halfway through the side to make a large fan pattern. All of our truck have a fan at all four corners and a side shooter in the middle. The five spay nozzles are all controlled separately from in the cab. I had thought about doing it on this truck but bending brass or copper tube to that tight of a bend proved to be a little difficult so that is why I did it this way. The main reason for the nozzles being so big on the 1:1 other than just trying to put out a lot of water in a hurry is that they fill these trucks from ponds and ditches. Having a lot of smaller nozzles would put out the same amount of water but would get plugged up from the nasty water they put in these trucks.

Travis

Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Control Trucker View Post
Check irrigation sprinkler heads. You should be able to find some small enough to look accurate and yet give you the proper spray pattern that you would hope for. I worked on a golf course with my father for over a decade and I was amazed at all of the different equipment available on the market when it came to sprinklers.

- RCT
I will have to check into that and see what is available.

Thanks
Travis

Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztruck View Post
hi guys I built this one a few years ago. Used a wind screen washer pump that worked very well. But the tank was too small. If you really want to wet down an area it takes a lot of 1/14 scale water.

That is a good looking truck. The tank I made holds about a gallon of water and I am guessing it will empty it in about a Minuit. Some things just don't work in scale like the real 1:1 do but it is still neat.

Travis

Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Travis, was this your shorty dump truck, converted to a water truck? Looks cool.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 AM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Nice Job Travis. I like the look, adding bigger fender flares would add to the beefy look it already has. It might be possible to take brass tube and smash the ends to flare/fan the water too. This is going to add yet another cool element to our growing fleet at shows. Nate is loaded with ideas.

Ben
R.I.P. FGD

Work Hard, Play Hard!
Never Forget- 343
Old 12-30-2012, 06:51 AM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Travis, was this your shorty dump truck, converted to a water truck? Looks cool.
Thanks, no this was built from a roller that Nate had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snochaser View Post
Nice Job Travis. I like the look, adding bigger fender flares would add to the beefy look it already has. It might be possible to take brass tube and smash the ends to flare/fan the water too. This is going to add yet another cool element to our growing fleet at shows. Nate is loaded with ideas.

Ben
Thanks Ben this is where I will leave off and let Nate take it from here.

Travis

Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

the cat water truck at the sand pit has what looks like squeezed
pipes as the water outlets. it just sort of fans out the water
there is one water bar at the front and back of the truck
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM

kcusumano is on a distinguished road

you both are very talented