RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Green Horn

JensR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat 777D Mining Truck

A switch is basically just a potentiometer with two (or three or in some cases even more)) settings.

So it really depends what positions the switch tells the receiver to move the servos to. I remember reading that these positions are not adjustable with the Traxxas, but it would be worth doublechecking that.

What type of lighting kit are you looking for? I would assume it should work with a channel that goes "full lock".
If all fails, you can actuate a mini switch with the servo to turn on/off the light.

For the dump bed, you can install a buzzer and/or warning light to start once the bed leaves its resting position. Again, use a small switch, this time actuated by the dump bed itself.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Tom, Would one of these switches work? Sounds like you need a 2 pole double throw RC controlled switch to activate the motor but only one speed with this setup.
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-TD-RCE200L.html
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-TD-RCE200H.html
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-TD-RCE220.html
Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Green Horn

Tom might be able to "switch" the ESC.
If the radio sets the servo full left or full right, this corresponds to up (forward) or down (reverse) with the ESC.
If the command from the receiver is not +100% and -100%, but +100% and 0%, a switch/relay like you suggested would be necessary, but I couldn't find whether or not the switch needs +100% and -100% to switch - if so, you have gained nothing (or at best a few bucks) over the ESC solution.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

JensR-The only settings on channels-3&4-are servo reversing. The truck has no servos to hold a micro switch and their is no room to put one. Steve- thanks, the dual relay is what I am using on the dump box. The rocker switch will probably work the E200L-RC switch if I can find a place to put it. I still would like to have an actual-3-pos. switch to work to dump box. The"fake"-3-pos. switch will work the dump box but it will be all the way up and all the way down. No stopping in between. This is not ideal but I guess I can live with that. JensR-I really appreciate you trying to help. Sounds like you are really knowledgeable on this electronic stuff. I can barely turn on a radio! Your last post is "WAAY OVER MY HEAD". I don't understand but that is okay
Old 10-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough

This turned out beautiful... And the amazing thing is you built it from scratch.. even the tires... Very nice job

~Mike~
Old 10-23-2011, 07:12 AM
Green Horn

> "WAAY OVER MY HEAD".

Sorry, didn't know how to say it simple.

But it seems you already got the relay, and you are also very short for space, so my point was moot.
But allow me to rephrase my previous comment for completeness:

You know how a normal stick moves continuously from one extreme (-100%) over neutral (0%) to the other extreme (+100%).
If you have a two-position switch, it does not go continuously from -100 to 0 to +100%.
The switch only knows two positions from this range.
(A three-position switch should know three positions.)
If that switch in your radio knows -100 and +100, you can simply plug an ESC into the receiver. The ESC will be switched to full forward or full backward.
If however the switch knows only 0 and 100%, you might have problems:
Certainly with the ESC and maybe with the relay:
The ESC could then only be switched between standstill and forward.
For the relay it depends how it is designed.

Good luck!
Jens
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Craftsman

Espeefan and Dreamweaver-thanks a lot for the compliments! JensR- Still not "gettin it". I was able to make the wiring changes to the transmitter and it ACTUALLY WORKED!! I now have a-3-pos. switch that will raise and lower the dump box and stop in any position. I think the rocker switch will work the lights after I get the R/C switch. I will know for sure in a few days.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Green Horn

Sorry
I'm sure I could explain it in person!

But if it works now, that's excellent
Old 12-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Craftsman

Well-more eye problems for me. I had a bleed in my right eye the day before thanksgiving and since that is the only eye I can see out of I have not been able to do anything until-2-days ago. But before this happened I had ordered the battery and connectors for this truck so during this time the parts arrived and I now have everything I need to finish this truck. My vision has not completely returned to normal but maybe by the first of next week I can see well enough to get the truck running. I see a lot of building has been done while I couldn't see so I have a lot of reading to catch up on.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:25 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

Hate to hear that about your eyes Tom. Hope you can get back at it soon I'm ready to see that bad boy haul a load.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Glad you are getting to do something with all the problems you are having. Please get well soon Tom, I miss your input on the forum of your builds!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Craftsman

D-9-joe and 9Wsteve-thanks a lot fellas. I am really looking forward to hauling a load of dirt. This truck seems like it has been almost done for months now. I have been ordering parts by USmail and that has to be the "WORST WAY POSSIBLE" to order something. Talk about slow!! But it is finished now and although I had a really hard time getting everything in this small radio compartment somehow it all fit and is working well.-

Here is a short video of one of the 1st test runs and a check of all systems-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JPtB...oC9hH4bIgZJCoc
Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Outstanding!! Job well done. I know where you can get to haul some dirt in 3 weeks
Old 12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Fantastic Tom. Looks like you were able to sort out a the radio bugs and it's another home run!!! Got anything in mind for your next project.
Rob
Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

This is one of my favorite builds! I enjoyed the video. A lot of hard work went into this model, and it shows. It really does run nice, and it looks very scale. Sorry to hear about your eye. Hopefully it doesn't slow you down to much. The Cat 777D turned out great. At least you'll have some time to enjoy it now. Very smooth running, and I love the lights! You never did change the drive motors, did you? I recall you saying you thought they were a little to slow, but honestly, I think they are good. Nice scale speed.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the video, looks great and everything seems to be working great. I am looking forward to see it in action moving dirt...

Greg
Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Journeyman

sparkycuda is on a distinguished road

From the tires, up, a really great piece of work! Dump and travel speeds very realistic, along with all the details, paint, and decals. An awesome model! Best wishes with the eye problems.

Ken
Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Well Tom, with all the troubles you had building this model and dealing with personal health issues, you have persevered to manufacture an outstanding built from scratch model dumptruck. Well done all around Tom!

*applause*

Waiting with great anticipation to see you fill it with your cable shovel.

Joe
Old 12-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Iron Art is on a distinguished road

Tom, Another model a cut above..You are a master model builder, thanks for sharing your model building skills with the rest of us. Fred
Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Craftsman

9Wsteve-thanks a lot-I wish it wasn't 790 miles away. I'm sure it will be fun. Steamer-thanks- yes it is working great!! Not sure there will be another project. My eyes are getting really bad No decision has been made for sure. Espeefan- thanks for the comments- I did change the drive motors but it is still a little slow. The scale speed at full throttle is 40MPH. I am guessing that the 1-1's run 45MPH but I don't know for sure. The model drives perfect though and I am happy with it. RCLogger- thanks-I hope to do a video soon of loading the truck with my shovel. Sparkycuda-thanks for your kind words. Lil Giants joe-thanks-this means a lot coming from a master operator who understands this stuff.