RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Changing Hydraulic Oil

Here is another way to get your oil out of the tank and filter fast without having to use a syringe. Just take the screw out of the filter and add a nipple with a hose attached, put the hose in a cup. Turn on pump and within a few seconds they are empty...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Stepside will become famous soon enough

I figured I'd share my experience here!

I'm glad I changed the oil! Mostly for peace of mind to know when it was done last and when it has to be done again. Didn't take much time at all. Here is a comparison btwn the old and new oil!!!:

The syringe I picked up worked great to fill the reservoir, its made by Chefmate, its a "flavor injector," got it for $3 at my local target store. Highly recommended for filling the system! I had to use a smaller syringe to draw the fluid out.

How often should I change the oil in the machine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

When it gets duty, you do have a sight glass. Ed
Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

Guys just a little suggestion. If the oil comes out of your equipment looking that bad your looking for big trouble down the road.
That oil is the life blood of any hydraulic system big or small. The dark coloring is metal fillings from your pump eating it's self up.
Never, never leave it till it's that color. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance!.
You should change it at least once a year and maybe more if there's allot of dust in the air.
Even pouring oil strait from any container is bad. It should all ways be filtered on the way into the tank. Had to replace a pump once, because there was plastic that somehow made it into a brand new container.
The oil that came out of Gregs machine is the way you want to see it in the container, still looking pretty clear, That way your pump and cylinders are going to be happy. Any other way and the grit is tearing up your o-rings and the pump gears even if you have a filter.
Rob
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Journeyman

Talking Re: Changing Hydraulic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Guys just a little suggestion. If the oil comes out of your equipment looking that bad your looking for big trouble down the road.
That oil is the life blood of any hydraulic system big or small. The dark coloring is metal fillings from your pump eating it's self up.
Never, never leave it till it's that color. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance!.
You should change it at least once a year and maybe more if there's allot of dust in the air.
Even pouring oil strait from any container is bad. It should all ways be filtered on the way into the tank. Had to replace a pump once, because there was plastic that somehow made it into a brand new container.
The oil that came out of Gregs machine is the way you want to see it in the container, still looking pretty clear, That way your pump and cylinders are going to be happy. Any other way and the grit is tearing up your o-rings and the pump gears even if you have a filter.
Rob
That is a story and a half Rob. It took me two hours to get the oil in that hyd machine to look that clean, and half a litre of oil. I unhooked all the cylinders and manually sucked oil in and out of them to get them clean. Changing the oil each time I cycled them.
I thought I better get it done before you seen how dirty the oil was.
greg
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Green Horn

Heavy Metal is on a distinguished road

Now I know for sure I don't have enough time for this hobby!!

I'm kinda new here but seems like this ought to be a sticky.

Joe
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbothell View Post
I'm kinda new here but seems like this ought to be a sticky.

Joe
Done.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLogger View Post
Here is another way to get your oil out of the tank and filter fast without having to use a syringe. Just take the screw out of the filter and add a nipple with a hose attached, put the hose in a cup. Turn on pump and within a few seconds they are empty...
I learned something today !
Where I took the bolt out from the filter, it is a place to hook up a line to a pressure gauge to see how many bar you are operating the pump at...

greg