RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road
Default 8x8 chassis under-guts... anyone tried this?

Hey...

I was pointed at the Integy site with that nice ladder-chassis, and then thought about their semi axles... and the way they have the bolt-on tranny-caps.

Looking at them, I thought one might be able to swap the end-caps (and some guts) to turn 1x front/steer axle (C24519) & 1x mid-axle (C24521) into 1x final axle (C24522) with the remaining parts making the missing thru-put front/steer axle.

Has anyone tried this? Agreed, its $360 even without the drive shafts that one gets free with the (C24471) three-axle kit (at $280 a set)

I've asked Integy about this, but I'd like to know if anyone has already tried this?

Has anyone tried these axles in general, and if so, what is the quality of the Integy axles like? (the C24471 set, or individually - link is to the set of 3)

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=14813

Tempted to get a set for his Rosenbauer 'Panther' chassis...
WhiteWolf McBride

- just call it an early Christmas present for myself... yea...
Old 11-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Green Horn

Default Re: 8x8 chassis under-guts... anyone tried this?

Hokay... either I goofed or post got nuked for cause:

So here goes: I asked Integy about doing the axle 'part swap' and they said " It looks possible. "

To which I replied " You have the parts, can't you try it? " and they replied " Parts are packaged... "

So you guys tell me: What supplier would hold off opening two packages to possibly 'create' a new product (the steer/throughput axle) and product ~line~ (an 8x8 chassis in 1/14-1/16 scale) just because they had to open packages? Heck, they have to open one set to take the images anyway...

I suspect its one of three things: Integy isn't the maker, and doesn't want to accept responsibility for opened packages; or two, they are getting crap over poor quality, and don't want to open a package and possibly void any warranty; or three, they are just to cheap to try it (or some combination of the three, (*sigh*) that's ~four~ things, oh well)

From the posts I've read, I suspect its a quality issue - and I don't want to buy $800+ in axles to find out they are crap.

So, guys, can you chime in? Are the Integy axles in question garbage?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWolf McBride View Post
Hokay... either I goofed or post got nuked for cause:

So here goes: I asked Integy about doing the axle 'part swap' and they said " It looks possible. "

To which I replied " You have the parts, can't you try it? " and they replied " Parts are packaged... "

So you guys tell me: What supplier would hold off opening two packages to possibly 'create' a new product (the steer/throughput axle) and product ~line~ (an 8x8 chassis in 1/14-1/16 scale) just because they had to open packages? Heck, they have to open one set to take the images anyway...

I suspect its one of three things: Integy isn't the maker, and doesn't want to accept responsibility for opened packages; or two, they are getting crap over poor quality, and don't want to open a package and possibly void any warranty; or three, they are just to cheap to try it (or some combination of the three, (*sigh*) that's ~four~ things, oh well)

From the posts I've read, I suspect its a quality issue - and I don't want to buy $800+ in axles to find out they are crap.

So, guys, can you chime in? Are the Integy axles in question garbage?
The axles are fine and I have been very happy with them.

http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=6008

Not being mean just blunt and to the point, no they are not going to open packages for your experiment. The people at the ware house are not builders like us they are just there to fill orders. The axles in their pics were more than likely taken at the research and development division and made their way to a truck or they were taken before packaging.

Now be honest if you received axles that were out of the original packaging and the screws showed signs of the axles being taken apart would you just say O well and go on? No you would be up their back end and complaining about them on every forum you could find.

My job is retail sales and I can't return open packages, once open they belong to the company I work for, and they are not happy if I can't return a slow moving product. Sooner or later all products become slow movers.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 11-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Green Horn

Thanks Travis,

I wasn't gonna take the 4x4 forum guys word, and they tend to drive their trucks harder (on average) than we do, though we have a few exceptions, eh Joe?

Any chance you could see your way to trying the axle-part-swap I mentioned? Are the parts compatible enough? Please let me know either way, as if you don't try it, I'm halfway tempted either way to try it myself!

I'm asking (about the swap) as instead of the 3-axle setup you'd make with their kit ($280 US w/ free driveshafts - $60 value) this would enable a 8x8, but you'd need 2x #1 Front axle & 2x #2 Mid axle, then drive shafts too, and you can't just buy a spare to add to the 3-axle kit (wrong parts)

I did read the assessment you posted, did note the 'can't be mixed with Tamiya' part, so its all or nada issue, but otherwise, you seemed to say anyone with basic skills and minimal tools can mount them up. This correct?

Any word on how they have held up after almost 24 months of use?

And the word from Integy is they aren't high on the list (the 'new' axle'), but the axles ~ARE~ outsourced/made overseas. If we could find the maker, perhaps we could influence them with some tweaks, and with making the front-driven (aka #2 of 4) axle, hm?

All-Wheel-Drive/All-Wheel-Steer would also enable WW2 vehicles like all the 232 Puma Armored car variants... amongst others...

Anyone?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:16 AM
Green Horn

~wince~ Hate to be loading my own thread...

amusingparts123 on eBay has a 4-axle (8x8) axle set... but $495 & shipping is a chunk, and the setup from Integy is only $360 (if its do-able)...

Who makes these, are they any good? They ~seem~ to be drop-in for Tamiya (he shows one with them in place...)

I looked at the other Integy axles, its not the ones Travis bought, and not the T2 ones, or the 6x6 7t-GL kit or 6x6 Trail Roller ones.

Also another distributor, RCGood...

He state the brand is wtbcar... mebbe the same maker as the Integy ones, or competition?

Please... discuss...
Old 11-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Green Horn

NEWS!

Kyle at Integy has told me the axle parts ~ARE~ interchangeable...

And no promises, but they ~may~ be able to give us a quantity-discount if we can organize a group buy of the #1 and #3 axle sets (to make the 8x8's)

SO... how do we spread the word, and would Ric at PMD be willing to 'stock-up' on a bunch of sets to help the process along?

Admin? Group e-mail notice perhaps?

WhiteWolf
- in for one set (all I can afford at the moment, would like 2, but ... *sigh*)
Old 11-10-2014, 01:12 AM
Green Horn

I saw the name mentioned, so I looked it up: RCMIN /RCBRMIN.

Looked through their site, and noted their 8x8 axle combination as a possibility: http://www.rcbrmin.com/8×8-drive-me...ock-p-508.html => List Price: $448.78 USD (plus shipping)

Compared to $360.00 'undiscounted' price for the Integy 8x8 axle set, how does the RCBRMin set compare for fit and quality to the integy's? Ease of mounting to Tamiya chassis? Other comments? (noted the cable-actuated diff-lockers... good/bad?

Just asking, as it seems to be the nearest competitor...

WhiteWolf
Just covering all the bases...

PS: easier/better to buy same from eBay supplier?