RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Sound Systems tech

Sound Systems tech This section is dedicated to the sound systems for our models. Tamiya MFU, Servonaut, etc.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM

ad2tude is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie totally lost

First off, let me apologize for my ignorance. I purchased a Grand Hauler as my first Semi truck kit. I have built several 4x4 kits before, but this truck is a bit overwhelming with all the radio options, sound,light and etc options. I have been researching for the past several weeks trying to determine my best options for my purchases and am getting no where fast. All my local hobby shops are no help as no one seems to be involved with these trucks in my area.
I have purchased a Spektrum Dx7 radio and receiver(which I have no idea how to set up or operate) two Spektrum servos and am looking into sound and lights now. I have interest in the Servonaut and Beier systems, but have several questions in regards. From what I have gathered, Servonaut is very expensive... worth it? If I am correct, I'm looking at close to six hundred for lights and sound? Beier if I am correct, is half the price for the same situation? From what I have been reading, including from here, I should stay away from Tamiya's systems? If I go with one of the two for-mentioned, where are you folks purchasing you leds from? Again, I apologize for my knowledge, but I have run out of options for answers. ANY help or advice on my build is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Tim

Last edited by ad2tude; 09-16-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: adding
Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie totally lost

ESS one PLUS is a decent sound option. Make SURE its the onePLUS, or you can ONLY have engine, turbo, & brake sound. One plus has the horn option on it.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:25 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

There is nothing wrong with the MFU's and there are plenty of setting up videos on youtube with a lot of different radios how to program them, the MFU will work with digital and anologe radios..... including the new DX radios....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

I'm with Cossett. The tamiya system is plug and play and will do all you need with regard to sound, lights, and even cab shaking if you want it. If you don't mind me asking what have you read to turn you away from tammy's MFU?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBennyB View Post
I'm with Cossett. The tamiya system is plug and play and will do all you need with regard to sound, lights, and even cab shaking if you want it. If you don't mind me asking what have you read to turn you away from tammy's MFU?
The only thing I've read to discourage me is the limitations of adding extra leds.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

My discouragement was PRICE For around $70.oo USD I can get the ESS1+, For around another $70.oo I can get a 3rd party light controller module. OR, for around $300.oo USD, I can purchase a Tamiya all in 1 unit.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

If you want extra lights most guys that use the mfu run a light modual to run any extra leds ( that can be done in a lot of ways) you need and then run them off a seperate channel...
But like everything its best to lay it all out on the work bench and test it before installing it in a truck or trailer so you know how it works together,
Some choose the MFU because there is no extra wiring of leds and other componants to run it and also the MFU come with the different clips and housing to install them unlike the two you mentioned that need other parts>
Also go to the Servonaut and Beier systems web sites ( not the resellers ) and have a good read of the list of things you need and what it requires to run them the price adds up very quickly ..........

Old 09-21-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossett View Post
If you want extra lights most guys that use the mfu run a light modual to run any extra leds ( that can be done in a lot of ways) you need and then run them off a seperate channel...
But like everything its best to lay it all out on the work bench and test it before installing it in a truck or trailer so you know how it works together,
Some choose the MFU because there is no extra wiring of leds and other componants to run it and also the MFU come with the different clips and housing to install them unlike the two you mentioned that need other parts>
Also go to the Servonaut and Beier systems web sites ( not the resellers ) and have a good read of the list of things you need and what it requires to run them the price adds up very quickly ..........
Thank you very much for the reply. I had noticed the expense of the other two companies. It's very shocking how quickly their products add up in cost. I am going to have to reconfigure my thoughts to my plan for lights.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 PM

Greatscott is on a distinguished road

Does the ESC on the MFU have a lipo mode?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:34 AM

bear is on a distinguished road

hi matey im bear an servonaut is ok but for you you should use the mfc 01 in your grand hauler until you get the hang of the the builds an all the option parts
Old 10-03-2017, 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the replys!!!! I went with Tamiya's MFC. For now I think it will suffice.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

MFU does not have a LiPo cut-off BUT it does have a low voltage cut-off. It will start shutting down and restarting the truck when the battery gets too low to operate correctly. I have never had a problem using LiPos with an MFU.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 PM

DrDiff is on a distinguished road

The problem is Tamiya set the low voltage cut off for Nicad or NiMH batteries.

This voltage is FAR TOO LOW to safely use a LiPo!

People will realise this when they see their 1-2K investment melt in flames as the Lithium Polymer battery burns it down!

If you even want to occasionally use LiPo you need something from say RC4WD or Beier, something that has LiPo settings. The Tamiya MFU series is using 20 year old technology.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

$3.00 from hobbyking plugs into you lipo and starts
Screaming when the lipo gets to the programed voltage
All my lipos have them and nothing has gone up in smoke