RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction General Discussion

Construction General Discussion General questions

Old 05-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Rc4wd 4200XL - upgrades to tracks

The good old 4200XL, no need of further presentation at this forum..
Recently done some upgrades of a 4200XL, that might be of interest for other operators. My friend like to operate his machine in some pretty rough, crushed road gravel, can not stick to the 'ideal' fine soil and 'beach sand', which has been a quite big 'pain' for the tracks..It's the aluminium tracks, from about 2014-2015 and on, that is now standard on all Chinese machines. Weaker design/material than the steel tracks the 4200XL was equipped with the first years (now not in production anymore). But it can be arranged to make them hold up just fine even in rough environments, with some tricks, as I will explain beneath.

The original 4200xl 'children's toy car' track motors, are naturally gone into history. Then he tried the brushless upgrade motors, which also did go 'down the tubes' long ago. Too weak, in addition to the too high rpm for this excavator's 'environment'. Then we installed my brushed upgrade kit, Soyland, which has power enough, and a more suitable speed. Problem was that stones just kept on jamming the tracks, and the 2 Amp fuses on the motors kept breaking often. When putting on larger fuses, the track links were often just ripped off instead. Ideally there should better be some kind of a 'slip clucth' on the motors, which is complicated and needs too much space. What we did is 'shaving off' about 2-2.1 mm of the height of the track gears, sprocket wheels', in the lathe. Now the track gears just 'jumps' on the pins when tracks gets jammed by stones. The operator see what's going on, get the chance to stop and reverse the track, possible lift the track off the ground to clear it for stones. Have installed 5A fuses now, instead of the 2A, which did run 'hot' when the track gears start slipping. The point at which the gears starts to 'jump', or slip, can to some extend be regulated by the tension of the track tension spring (which is originally missing on the 2011-2014/2015 versions,, and makes a smooth operating of the tracks even more difficult in the first place). Running in course gravel, generally we try to keep the tension of the springs as 'small as possible', to the point the tracks just want to jump off, to allow stones getting jammed, to be easier 'spitted out'.
In addition some cover plates are installed up close to the track gears, to help keeping stones away.
The idea of small teeth on the track gears are now used by one of the new Chinese competitioners too the Eagle/Rc4wd company. That's the picture of the grey coloured undercarriage. Those teeth are almost not visible, but actually works. I didn't want to take off that much of the 4200xl teeth, no need to, better to remove less than more as a start. The motors on the current 4200xl is more powerful than on this other machine, so can deal with larger teeth. Same tracks as the Eagle/4200XL. It' seams to be the new thing. Eagle/Rc4wd have not yet discover it, looking at the new Volvo. But maybe they soon 'see the light')
As mentioned above, if just operating in fine soil and sand, things are not so critical.

Last edited by Rimrock; 05-17-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Rc4wd 4200XL - upgrades to tracks

Some would say those gears are worn out and need to be changed lol Cool idea Oyvind.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rc4wd 4200XL - upgrades to tracks

keep at it!! its nice to see you finding ideas to work!! I'm one of those who you describe as to not running in the ideal conditions from having experience in 1:1 machines and owning them keeping wear and breakages down to a minimum is always of interest. I always try to keep dirt and such out of the tracks but not always possible. avoiding sharp turns with tracks and piling dirt up from digging helps. these machines are not bad but like everything can use some modifications. I particularly like the idea of your scraper for the teeth. on my dozer ive had good results with having the teeth tapered to form more of a point on the sprocket teeth. (tapered on the side profile) it pushes more of the dirt that gets packed into links out instead of just packing it in more. keep doing what you are doing and sharing, its appreciated!!!