RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 12-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Dreamweaver will become famous soon enough
Default Change the C15 twin turbo to a single turbo

Cat's ACERT technology is after 2008, so if you want to model a C15 in an older model truck, or if like me you just want to have a model of an engine that in the real world actually WORKS, then here is how to change the turbo set up on the C15 to look like the pre ACERT turbo.

Step One

Remove the turbo unit from the engine. Be careful and make sure you get both of the turbo oil return tubes. There is one from the center of both turbos going to the block.

After you get the turbos off refer to picture #1

Cut the top turbo exhaust pipe just below the flex tube. (Red & Green Arrow)

Discard the box that is behind the bottom turbo between it and the block. There will be a hole where that box is mounted that you will have to cover.

Step Two

Refer to picture #2

Cut the intake to intake pipe between turbos where the pipe goes into the top turbo. (Red & Green Arrow)

Your two turbos should now be separated. Discard the bottom turbo, the top turbos is the only one you will need.

Step Three

Refer to picture #3

Discard the parts shown with a RED arrow, they will not be used.

The air box that is marked by the Blue & Green arrows will not be used and can be, or should be, removed. However again there is a hole in the block to mount this box and that will have to be covered.

Cut the intake out tube coming from the turbo at the point where the RED & GREEN arrow is pointing. You may choose to do this after completing step #4.

Step Four

Refer to picture #4

Cut the turbo sections apart between the intake side and the bearing oiler.
(RED Arrows)

Turn the intake so that the exit tube is up and out at about a 30° to 45° angle facing up. (Blue & Green Arrow)

Now just glue the turbo parts back together and install. that's it.

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike "DREAMWEAVER" Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Zimms Customs

Default Re: Change the C15 twin turbo to a single turbo

I am going to be doing this to mine. I am having clearance issues with the dual turbos. Great writeup, thanks for the info!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM

mtdriver is on a distinguished road

Do you have a picture with all of your engine mods completed?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdriver View Post
Do you have a picture with all of your engine mods completed?
Well all the mods, yes go to my build thread (at the bottom by my signature)

Now completed, that depends on what you mean. I have completed the mods but the engine is not completely back together or painted yet. But all the mods are on it in the last few pictures on my build thread.

Rims and Tanks by ihbuilder / Grill and Visor by Brian in PA / Mirrors, Front and Rear Bumper, Back of Cab Lights, and Steering Arms by tc1cat / Fenders by Stylin n Profilin / Frame Rails by The Late Freddy Gear Drive
Old 12-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Weaver Of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimms Customs View Post
I am going to be doing this to mine. I am having clearance issues with the dual turbos. Great writeup, thanks for the info!
Well if you have clearance issues with the twin turbos, then you will not be able to make the air handling system cause it is really wide.

It was my pleasure to do the How-To..

-Mike

Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Zimms Customs

I am going to be using my W900L chassis for my Knight to be converted to a true Coronado. I will eventually do the air bags in the back, but I am redoing the whole system. This single turbo CAT will look good on my new ride. I will try to plumb everything up, just like Mike.

I realize that this motor is a detroit, but you get the idea of what I will be going for.

Just don't want to do a job like this.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Weaver Of Dreams

Ya Ya everyone wants to be like Mike....

Oh wait wrong Mike

-Mike

Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Zimms Customs

Nuff said

Oh wait, one more . . .