RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Vehicles Picture Gallery > 1:1 Your Semi's,Trucks and Equipment

1:1 Your Semi's,Trucks and Equipment Here is a spot to share your 1:1 that you drive and or operate.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation
Default Re: Something new to rc

So for the last week this how my harvest has been going...

...had to bring in a grain cleaner to separate the FM (foreign material) from my flax, something I can't do with the combine. The volunteer spring wheat, brown mustard & wild oats that grew after the 4 hail storms from June 23rd to July 14th, (1st storm was a week after in crop spraying), the FM is still quite green yet & raising the moisture to 11 to 13%, clean that crap out lowers my moisture in flax to 8.3%. Dry & storable flax is 9%.

It's really slow to clean flax, with some wild oats coming out the clean side, capacity is about 220 - 240 bushel/hr... with the days so short now & freezing almost every night, I only have about 7 to 9hrs cutting window, can't start before noon & done not long after dark, depending on the wind... soon as the wind is gone, it gets tough & plugs the knife. 1st field of flax 200ac, running about mid 20's bu/ac, by dark both tandems are full & combine too, cleaner going all day as well... start cleaning again at dawn, by noon less than half a tandem left to clean, I start combining & everything full again by dark. Took 3days to cut 200ac... normal conditions & earlier in the season with warmer weather, I cut 200ac a day.

When my peas & brown mustard got hammered in early June I just round-up the whole field of each crop cause I knew the weeds would choke out whatever came back. The 350ac flax field I'm in now showed some promise early on & I let it continue growing. It got golfball hail mid July & now it's a wreck with added costs & the bushels just aint there (1st 150ac less than 10bu/ac, probably averaging about 7, looks better further east). If I would have sprayed this field out last July I would be done!!! But the finish line is a couple days away.. providing my old shyt holds together...

...today was a day of breakdowns... my 20yo Onan motor on grain auger taking clean flax away from grain cleaner lost its spark, determined the problem to be the pickup coil behind the flywheel... could be next Tues before that be fixed ... a few hrs later later & $2700 brand new Kohler getting the show on the right track again... just after 5pm now get back on the combine, didn't go 300yds & blew a hyd hose on the header...... less than 2hr of daylight left, after hrs charge of $50 +parts, it'll be tough before I get it fixed anyway... get er done in the morning.

20's & sunny on the wkend - changing to single digits & rain on Mon-Tues... may the gods be with me so I get this wreck of a yr done with already!!! The majority of farmers in my area were done a month ago.

Joe
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Thanks Joe for sharing what you go through and all the hard work you guys do each and every year.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Great caption! Thanx buddy

Today was a productive day acre wise, not so much yield wise though less than 3 full tandems, but I am under the 100ac mark... start again before noon, no hiccups & I'll be done before dark!

A couple pics at sunset... the tall yellow stuff is FM

Joe
Old 10-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Good stuff Joe, sorry to hear you had such a bad year. Not much you can do about Mother Nature.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM
BANNED

Yeah Kent, Mother Nature was a real big "C" to me this yr!

...anyways, got done combining mid afternoon yesterday, that last field of flax averaged out about 6,5bu/ac, sample not real good with green seeds & some very dark ones too.

Moved cleaner over to my house today to clean durum for seed next spring, couple more truckloads to do tomorrow, should be done by noon. Then it's just clean equipment, oil changes & put stuff away for winter storage the rest of the week. Mail out some grain samples & start making some deals... another couple weeks of farming yet before I can retire to the Lil Giants workshop for the winter.

Joe
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

So did you get everything done for the season so you can go back to digging a tunnel?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 AM
BANNED

For the most part, yes... just doing some grain hauling, soil sampling right now & trying to figure out fertilizer blends & what to grow next yr & where.

Joe
Old 03-16-2016, 10:25 PM
BANNED

What I've been working on the last couple weeks at the farm shop, mounting cross box augers on my tandem & pup so I can drive along side of air drill fill auger to load product into cart. Only need to take one trk to the field instead of two, saves time moving equipment around.

Took trk & pup to town a few days ago to plumb all the hyd hoses, hard to fathom it took 226 feet of braided hose. I had to plumb this trk so it would dumped the pup as well, before it was just the red Mack R that could pull the pup.

Couple more hrs of tinkering to do securing all the hoses to keep them away from moving parts & pinch points. Try it out next week hauling home granular fertilizer for this spring's planting.

Joe
Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 PM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

Looks like a good setup. Will save travel time for sure. What's the plan for the ol' red mack? It looks like a beast of a truck.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM
BANNED

Those cross box augers weigh about 150lbs each, so I won't be taking them on/off just whenever. The red Mack will be used to chased down 3 different seed varieties from different seed growers prior to start of seeding. Plus I got 2 railcars of flax to deliver to an elevator 1st part of April, 15 mile haul. Hook the red Mack onto the quad axle belly dump & get 'er done.

Joe
Old 03-20-2016, 09:27 PM
BANNED

Finally a beautiful day here again with sunshine +15, working at the farm shop to put in these dual hose holders, the base is steel & I can weld it in place anywhere.

Just got to get a couple more for the pup.

Joe
Old 03-20-2016, 11:19 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe, what year is your white CH Mack?
Cheers!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 PM
BANNED

'97

Joe
Old 03-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Giants View Post
'97
Same as my CL.
Cheers!
Old 03-25-2016, 01:46 AM
BANNED

I spent the last couple of days hauling granular fertilizer home, the crossbox augers themselves worked very well, but some refinement with the hyd supply is in need... the reservoir is too small, the oil gets blistering hot! Then the valves for dump & auger drive don't work freely, and then it can get hairy to operate smoothly. The temps last couple days start out -2 & rise to +10... during seeding temps could be in the 20's. Hopefully I can get it sorted out in the next week without too much additional expense.

The pup's auger will over supply the 10" auger, tractor running full throttle @540 pto rpm. Dump 12mt in about 10 mins. Then dumping the trk, the tractor is running maybe half throttle, the oil extremely hot!! takes about 20 min to unload 11mt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7SozR7F-X8

Joe
Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

It's to bad they couldn't have made the long runs out of aluminum tubing to help disapate some of the heat in the fluid along with the larger reservoir.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 PM
BANNED

The tank that's on the trk is about 5ga... after 2nd day of use I went to look at somebody else I know that has these same augers on his trk & pup, his reservoir is about 30ga and he's had no issues in the ?yrs he's been using it spring & fall, up to 30's temp.

Start doing some phoning/shopping around Monday to see what I can do to rectify the situation.

Joe
Old 03-29-2016, 07:58 PM
BANNED

Got the call today to haul my flax in... it'll be loaded into 2 railcars end of April - 1st week of May. Couple hrs checking tires, oil levels, grease & load 'er up with secondary weights... I was a few tonne under, but the grid road is still too soft in places... such a mild winter & it seems to be taking longer than usual for the frost to leave the ground.

Doing some phoning around last couple days to figure out what to do next with other trk's hyds... tomorrow I'll order a 25ga oil tank with valves on it, that's essentially 5x bigger than the tank I currently have. From what I'm told that volume will solve my excessive heat issues with the oil.

Joe
Old 03-30-2016, 08:06 AM

Acadieman is on a distinguished road

That hydraulic setup is pretty slick. Unloading in style.
What's the end destination for the flax?

The granular fertilizer, do you convert it to liquid form, or apply it as is?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:18 PM
BANNED

I don't know about style, but it's much quicker & easier than jack knifing.

The flax buyer is a China company, don't know how or what they'll produce... not sure what coast it's going to either to be off loaded from railcar to container. Payment is 10 days after it's emptied from railcar.

The granular fertilizer will be applied as is with my air drill. I hired an agrologist last fall to do soil sampling & make fertilizer blend & rate recommendations. It's been an El Nino winter here, much warmer than past years, but still got a fair amount snow or rain all winter, spring moisture is very good. But the summer forecast is predicting drier than normal. So I'm going to back off fertilizer rate 25% from agrologist's suggested #'s & if the moisture is looking good to great up to flag leaf, then I may top up nutrient levels with liquid fert then, applied with my Apache field sprayer.

After last yr's weather wreck with so much hail, got to proceed this yr with some caution with how much money I put into the ground, especially if it's a possibility of being a drought yr, something we haven't seen since 2006, which is very unusual for this area.

It started spitting rain an hour ago, looks like it's gonna carry on for few hrs yet, can't load flax in the rain, the seed gets wet it will stick to the metal box like glue... even after it's dried, it's stuck to the box. Then I got to use a metal paint scraper to get it out!!! not fun. ...off to the basement to do some digging in the tunnel.

Joe