RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road
Default 3D Printer?

Did anyone get a 3D printer for Christmas?

I would like to mess with one and wouldn't hesitate to buy one but I am afraid of my own personal learning curve required to make good use of one.

I don't even have a PC, much less any CAD experience.

I would love to hear your "story" if you are new to 3D printing.

One of my questions is, are there files freely available online that can be downloaded to allow parts to be printed? My fear is buying one, and then not being able to use it.

Jim
Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 AM

mcCracken15 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D Printer?

I believe you can have free programs. But i guess it depends on what one you buy. Their are so many oit their i wouldnt know either. I am in the same boat as you and would like one also bit am also afraid i cannot use it due to ease of use and availuability. But would way rather spend the dough on cnc for my little mill. But then again we run into the same problem. Then people tell me its not really worth buying the set up because how much will you really use it and their are so many people out their like companies that will make and ship whatever you design for a small fee. So that being said it might be worth downloading a good free cad and design a few things yourself and get a price quote and you might be happy! Idk where else to go with it either!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

I ended up buying an Afinia H800 a couple weeks ago. It's a nice printer but like most of them, I struggle with failed prints caused by filament feeding issues and bed alignment. I plan to build some simple sensors into it that will pause prints when filament runs out or stops feeding. My nozzle seems to clog easily and makes many prints fail. I know the Makerbot machines have an extruder that does all this but you pay a premium for it.

Before spending a dime, you really should decide what material you want to print. For me, ABS was key for being able to further model the material after printing. That really determines what printer will be needed. For example, the Makerbot does not do ABS, so no matter how feature-packed it is, it won't work for my needs.

You can download stl files easily. Most common sites are probably thingiverse and youmagine

I'm designing my own parts with free software. I use a combination of Sketchup and 123Design

You say you don't have a computer, you will need one to send files to the printer. There are some that are able to print from an sd card, but you'd still have to load the sd card somehow. It's easy to learn how to draw. Youtube has tons of videos on 123Design basics and community college always have courses.

I went by Ed's (heavy duty) suggestion and used octave.com for ordering everything up. Good folks to deal with.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Craftsman

Those are some great tips/thoughts to consider, thanks.

Have either of you found a good "overview" video that might show the complete process from start to finish including the design phase. I should browse those web sites you listed, might find something along that line huh?

Jim
Old 01-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Lots of printers to choose from, lots of software also. I used autodesk 123. It was free and not complex. Sure there will be a bit of learning curve. I am now using autodesk fusion360. Very powerful software.

Pigeonfarmboy, I also have an afina, I use glass with the purple glue stick, no raft for a base print bed. I did have some problems at first. Make sure the fan is not blowing on parts , but cooling the nozzle. On mine I just switched the white printed part on print head to blow the air away from print. I don't know if they still have that design or not so you may not know what I'm referring to. One of the biggest improvements I did was to build a plexiglass enclosure. Keeps the atmosphere warm inside and no air movement while printing. Very reliable and haven't had any issues since.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

That's where a little switch is to divert air from print bet to side

That's the glass

And that's the simple enclosure I made. Not air tight but just keeps air from blowing and keeps it warm and toasty for bigger longer prints.

And the autodesk fusion 360 is free for a hobbyist. Also has cam, cad, stress, rendering, ect. I figured if I ever go into cnc machines I will already be familiar with design software. Lots of tutorial videos on the tube for learning also. Just my opinion but I was told about the software by someone else and wish I started with that. Lots to learn but I guarantee you will never outgrow it
Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Craftsman

ABS?

PFB, could you explain a bit about abs and how it works? Abs is the stuff most model cars and that sort of thing are made with right?

What is the other stuff and downsides or benefits to it?

Keep in mind, if there is a good thread or faq on this someplace just tell me to find that.

Thanks to all, this helps me ponder the entire idea of getting a printer.

Jim
Old 01-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road

Polystyrene/ABS same stuff. PLA is probably the most commonly used 3d printer filament. I prefer to use ABS because of it's modeling abilities. Gluing and sanding/filling is just like plastic models which I have tons of experience and tools to work with.

The h800 is fully enclosed. I will play with the fan setting on the extruder. Nothing in the manual about that so I just assumed it was set the correct way.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:26 PM
Apprentice

Finster is on a distinguished road

I don't have a 3D Printer but I really do want one. I've been researching them for a few years now. I'm just hesitating because I just have a feeling after I invest in one, a new one with much better resolution/features/etc. will hit the market. But what I can say like Cooper mention, it seems like the trend is to use Fusion 360 for CAD. I've seen many people recommending it. Apparently it is well suited to make the files that 3D printers use as well as a CAM aspect.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Doggy is on a distinguished road

I have a custom built 3d printer, based on a prusa i3 steel. I print only PLA as i didnt have time to build enclosure and print printer parts in abs, so I can have all nice and warm to keep abs print stable.
But pla works for me great. I use Solidworks for Design, and print everything out. I am printing 90% of my truck. Also printer a bed for my hilux pickup, beadlock wheels...
Its a great thing to have if you use 3D Design, as you can have all the parts in your hands.