RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 PM

B-Train Hauler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

Wow! Very impressive Great job! Can't wait to see next step

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in PA View Post
Nathan I'm speechless!!! those are awesome Great attention to detail.
Thanks Brian! I'm kind of a detail nut job. Glad you like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin n profilin View Post
CRAP!! Now you know Nathan we are going have them in Tamiya scale now!! Fire up your mill
Thanks John! I'm not sure about making these for the aftermarket. These things are by far the most time consuming parts I've been working on. I'm afraid if I did produce them for everyone, they'd be way to expensive, after all the time put into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I would totally buy some of those! that's looking really good so far! It amazes me what you guys can make with your machines! Can't wait to see the finished result of those tank holders! Keep up the good work
Thanks dabears! I'm looking forward to seeing these saddles done too! Then I can move onto the next set of custom parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Nice job Nathan, another homerun!
Cheer's, Neil.
Thanks Neil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Nate , I knew you could they look great . now watch these guys
Thanks Steve. Still more to go yet, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Unbelievable!!
Craig, thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
The hours you must have spent crafting that, can't put a price on it. Great work!
Nick, thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGER View Post
Holy crap!! Sick skills....it's very clear that you put some major time and effort in there and the result? Art.
Thanks SWAGGER! I don't even want to think about the total time invested, but it is a labor of love, so I haven't been keeping track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Train Hauler View Post
Wow! Very impressive Great job! Can't wait to see next step
Thank you B-Train Hauler! I can't wait either. Seems like a long road to completion yet!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM

DuelTruckDriver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Okay guys, a small update for those who have been following along!

As I mentioned in some earlier posts, I was totally dissatisfied with stock fuel tank mounting methods that Wedico uses. I also didn't like the aftermarket solutions any better! So I've been working on making something up to better suit my needs and wants. It's been a trial, but I am making some headway!

Here are some Peterbilt tank saddles, which I tried to loosely base my design after. I took some rough measurements of a real tank saddle, and a few photos. I realized, while researching, that there are at least 3 different types of Peterbilt tank saddles, so I kind of combined the features I liked, and doing the best I could, with the limits of my skills, and my mill, I came up with this.

The saddle hasn't been cut free from the bar stock yet, but you can see what it will look like. I have to machine the other side yet, and then I'll separate the two saddles, but it gives you a good idea of where things are headed. This first saddle was more less a test piece. I have to see if I can duplicate it at least 4 more times! Thanks for looking!
Nathan, those brackets are freaky accurate man! That is some serious skills I wish I could do that level of work. And, the side steps are insane also! Man I hope you get fired up to us some more updates w/ pic's soon. >Marty<

Last edited by DuelTruckDriver; 05-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

RAIDERS is on a distinguished road

Nice job.....
Old 05-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Craftsman

Diesel Demond is on a distinguished road

wish i could just whip up some tank brackets. very accurate looks good !

Flat bedders do it with chains and straps,but now im yanking 53's
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Whew, it's been a while since I've had something new to share on the build. I've had a little more time to play with my mill, so I continued the work on the fuel tank saddles. These parts have been a great challenge to me. After making my share of mistakes, I've finally got a set of 4 that match, and are nice enough to use on my truck. These aren't quite done yet, but very close. Some minor machining is still necessary, but it's all the easier stuff from here on out. Usually the mistakes were stupid errors, but I'm glad to have gotten past all that! Anyway, to keep the build alive, here some photos.

One trial part for practice is milled out completely. I've got start working on ideas for the tank straps now. I have some good ideas, but I just need to see how they work out. I thought I would try making the straps out of brass strips, rolling an end, soldering it, and putting a t slot with a piece of threaded rod through it, so I could replicate the real method used on 1:1 tank straps, to tighten them up to the tank saddles. Seems easy enough. I have never soldered brass, so that will be new. If I use brass, I will either have to get the parts chromed, or paint them. I'm leaning more torward the paint, with a polished tank. I've seen it both ways.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

good Job on the mounts Nate Craig is gonna need a set you know

Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road

Man Nathan, your build is just awesome! When I look at your truck it makes me think mine should go out in the trash.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Great job Nathan but if I may make a suggestion, for straps why don't you get some thin stainless and do like you wanted to do with the brass only with the stainless and then silver solder the ends it would be stronger. Ed
Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey Nathan go to youtube, lot's videos there, maybe this on will help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4bUd8tl7-Y

Cheer's, Neil.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
good Job on the mounts Nate Craig is gonna need a set you know
Thanks Steve. Coming from you, that means a lot! I'd love to make parts for everyone else, including Craig, but I need to get better at this machining stuff before I go into production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus View Post
Man Nathan, your build is just awesome! When I look at your truck it makes me think mine should go out in the trash.
Thanks Craig. Don't sell yourself short. Your truck is coming along really well. You'll have a really sweet ride, when it's done too. Probably before mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Great job Nathan but if I may make a suggestion, for straps why don't you get some thin stainless and do like you wanted to do with the brass only with the stainless and then silver solder the ends it would be stronger. Ed
Thanks Ed. I didn't know it was possible to silver solder stainless. If it works, I'll give it try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Hey Nathan go to youtube, lot's videos there, maybe this on will help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4bUd8tl7-Y

Cheer's, Neil.
Neil, thanks. Believe it or not, before I made my post this afternoon, I was watching that exact video! Doesn't look to hard, does it?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 AM

Tinbender is on a distinguished road

I just read this entire thread. And I come to realize that I may have bitten off more than I can chew by getting into this hobby. Your machining skills are very impressive. The research you perform prior to actual build is incredible. And then to have the hand and eye coordination to put it all into place is amazing. I may be rethinking what I am going to build if at all now. Keep the build alive and the photos coming, I am enjoying the heck out of it!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Tinbender. I just want to encourage you to enjoy the hobby, and not feel you've bitten off to much, especially when looking at some of the incredible builds posted here. We all started somewhere. I would have laughed at anyone who told me I'd be machining my own custom parts for this build, a few years back. I didn't think I had those skills. Funny thing how that works. If you want something bad enough, you figure out how to get it. Never stop learning, and never sell yourself short.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 AM

Tinbender is on a distinguished road

Thank Espeefan. I know from my past I have some of the skills but I am always eager to learn. I have been wanting to get a mini mill, now it looks like I have a real good reason to invest into one, I already have the mini lathe. I hope I didn't hi-jack your build.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 AM

rappy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Espeefan's slow motion Peterbilt Heavy Hauler build

wow wow wow what else can i say this is just a talented man
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Nathan those tank saddles look great I know you have a lot of time in them but it was well worth it keep up the good work. Ed
Old 05-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Green Horn

Straywolf is on a distinguished road

Wow i finally sat down and read this build thread and all i can say is just excellent work!!! I can't wait to see more pic's!!!

Mike

Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 PM

oldwestrnwear is on a distinguished road

your work is amazing the detail is unbelievable pure beauty

perry
Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments. Unfortunately I don't have any updates to share right now on this build because it's taken a back seat to my Kenworth needlenose project. It might sound crazy, but after doing all I have with my Kenworth, I've sort of raised my expectations of what a truck should be, and this Peterbilt will follow the same tracks. A new chassis, new axles, new suspension, and new ideas will be coming. All of the goodies I've made so far will carry over, so not all is lost. I will be rebuilding before finishing .... again!
Old 11-30-2015, 12:48 AM

headers is on a distinguished road

No update on the Pete?