RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > R/C Truck's Manufacturers/Venders/Retailers > RCP’s Aluminum Gravel Boxes and Accessories

RCP’s Aluminum Gravel Boxes and Accessories Welded aluminum dump boxes and more

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vertical Ribbed Dump Trailer

So the old saying "two steps forward, three steps back" took over for a while today. I started machining a piece for the front of the tub that would square it up at the bottom and provide a mount for the front flaps. Anyway, I got it to fit the main tub and needed to trim the front panel to match up. Wanting to do the most accurate job I could, I mounted the piece in the vice on the mill. This is where doing one off builds is kind of a pain because I really should have a jig made to hold the part correctly. My thinking was, I will never build another exactly the same and this should only take 10 minutes right? Well, I tried to add some plates to extend the vices grip but it still vibrated around eventually causing the breakage of my last 1/8 endmill. I should have stopped there but I was confident that with a 1/4 endmill and more patience I could finish the job. 30 seconds after that the patience went south when the larger cutter grabbed the sheet metal and twisted the sh!t out of it!

My wife was painting the fence on the other side of the house with some tunes going. She came running into the shop thinking that the words coming from my fisherman foul mouth were the result of an injury. Truth be told it was an injury but only to my pride.

I took a short break, answered an email from some creep calling me a name that would get me kicked off the forum. Thanks for the descriptive photo as well RW Feeling better made up a new piece using the old school method, my bandsaw and a file. Of course the new piece fit a bit differently so the machined parts needed some tweaking also. The moral of this story is that this job isn't always fun but if you are stubborn and have extra metal lying around you can spend a couple of extra hours fixing what should have taken 10 minutes.lol