RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Wannabe

JDH429 is on a distinguished road
Default 3D printing KH Body Attempt

Im going to attempt to print my body for my latest KH build. Here are a few pictures of what i have designed so far. Sorry for the quality due to just snapping screen shots. Ill post up more pics as i progress. I have successfully printed body parts for some of my G Scale Train projects. But this project is just about double the size so ill need to cut up the body in CAD and print in sections as my printer work table isnt large enough to print the entire body at once and strategically printing "shelled" objects like a truck body takes some trial and error to orient the part correctly in the printer due to support material and overhang. It will be more clear as I go for those of you unfamiliar with 3D printers. Thanks for looking.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Wannabe

pugs is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 3D printing KH Body Attempt

ABS or PLA? I keep looking at them printers and thinking I should build one to play with.

If ABS, did you see this; http://www.wired.com/design/2013/03/3d-print-smoothing
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

thats pretty slick . I'm getting ready to mill just the cab out of a solid aluminum block . It's just on hold till I get the twins done and a dozen other projects .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Wannabe

Thanks everybody, I hope it turns out well too. I've spent countess sleepless nights learning and playing with my printer since I got it in Dec. for someone who likes to build and design stuff it's pretty **** neat.
Pugs, it's ABS and I have done some smoothing using acetone by quickly dunking and hanging the part to dry, works well on solid parts but any holes and the part will defo from trapped acetone inside. This process you posted seems like the way to go...although I have to admit playing with acetone and heat makes me a tad nervous. Ill look into that more. My printer can produce some really nice surfaces... Having to print this in sections then glue together I'm going to be doing some filling and sanding anyway. But with a couple coats of primer and paint I think I'll get the results I need. Thanks for posting the link.
Ihbuilder, that's impressive, can't beat that on the cool scale. Good luck. I should be done with my print once I get the design figured out and cut up in 8-10 hrs of print time. How long you estimate your mill job to take?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Interesting JD. Keep us posted on the progress of the cab. This will be a great project to watch unfold. You have my attention!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Wannabe

SP, Thanks for checking in. Heres a few more pics. Taken me a few hours to finish the hood and separate everything to printable size. I redesigned the fenders a few times, cause i jut couldnt seem to get it right. Got the grill done. Notice the size difference from a standard KH grill. By my measurements this should look correct when its all finished...I dont know tho, right now it looks like it should be way too big...but if you compare the KH nose..its always looked much smaller than a W900 nose would in 1 1/4 scale... Im really trying to nail the W900B look although i ran with the split window, but do not think it comes that way on this 1:1 model with the ext cab. Not sure.... cant remember but i like it this way. Also eliminated the corner windows on the back of the cab...never liked those. Off to start cutting up the cab....Oh, also added a pic upclose of the .15mm layer height the printer is laying the ABS down at(2 hood top sections).

[url]

Last edited by JDH429; 03-09-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Bring it on! Another dimension to this wonderful hobby!
Can't wait to see your finished results. I'm intrigued by what can be printed.
Cheers, Neil.

Last edited by doodlebug; 03-09-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Error!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Journeyman

Radio Control Trucker is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: 3D printing KH Body Attempt

I've been excited by the idea since I first saw the video of a working 3D printer. It's my hope that it can work so that we can have the ability to not only improve our existing cabs, but also introduce 'new' bodies for our trucks (Marmon, White, AutoCar, etc...).

I'm watching with anticipation.

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right." - Mom

- RCT

"Keep the Shiny-side Up, the Dirty-side Down & Keep 'er to the Line."
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Wannabe

Haha, Yes another example of machines and technology replacing skilled hand labor. Ok so my original estimate of 10 hrs total print time was way off..Looking at double that ..maybe...although im not doing much while the magic happens,the machine does all the work, So ill go back to watching TV and grab another slice.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

This is amazing. I've seen these printers in action before. It really is awesome to see one used for making a cab. How strong are the parts? Can you chrome that grille? It's some type of plastic, I am sure. All you have to do is find a chromer that can handle plastic parts. Imagine the posibilities!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:48 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

WOW the new age of modeling is here.. print it out!

This is gonna be a Blast to watch come together.

I think back to the days of dremel & blood then graduating to CNC!!!

Two thumbs up Jason for off the scale creativity!

Joe
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

The possibilities are endless for a 3D printer and a guy with an interest in our hobby. Looks awesome.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Green Horn

Goose19 is on a distinguished road

that is too cool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 AM
Wannabe

ESpee, Im using ABS plastic for all my printing. The parts can be very rigid but that all depends of course on the design... fill density, wall thickness. My cab will be 5 times stronger in places than a regular stock body and im liking the girth of the fenders and hood so far. I made them on the thicker side..but when you hold them they dont feel heavy because the interior has an "honeycomb" structure, as i call it, see the latest pics. Id be very interested in finsing out what it costs to chrome some plastic parts. I think i can process the parts to have a nice smooth surface so the chrome would look halfway decent.

Thanks Joe! glad you stopped by... more to come, Im printing the remainder of the hood today so i should have an assembled pic later on.

Brick, and Goose Thanks. Yes this technology has fascinated me since i first saw it back in 03 at the P.R.I. show in Orlando..Ten years ago i said i need that. Yes the possibilities are endless..

However, it does take quite a bit of trial and error to design a part that will print correctly. The printer has some limitations. Cutting up a part to be printed in sections is almost a good idea for a project such as this because when printing a ledge or overhang support material must be printed below that overhang.

Here is a good example of Support structure and Fill density.

Just about finished

Depending on how you place the part on the print platform really affects the finish..I placed this part so the finished side faces up so there is not support material or Raft to remove from it. The print time is affected too if alot of overhang needs support material. That support takes time to build and more material is used. And the time can be adjusted based on the print quality settings. Im at 4 hrs per fender(actually a complex part) Normal speed and .15mm layer height, which is the finest i can print with my machine. The better finish you want..the longer it takes...That still applies here even though im not getting my hands dirty.

After i have removed the support structure.

Of course there are much better machines out there that use lasers to melt/bond parts inside a bed of powdered plastic or even metal.. which will come out in one peice but you can buy a house for the same price. More to come...
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Good grief, that's awesome! That fender looks really nice, and I could see the honeycomb pattern in the grille photos. Everybody needs one of these 3D printers! Keep your printer running 24/7! You'll have a compete cab in no time.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Wannabe

Thanks! I hope it comes together as i planned. But thats what prototyping is all about. And thats really what these machines were designed for.
Test and tune, test and tune.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Absolutely incredible machine and hard work on your part to make it all happen. well done!
In regards to chroming, have you seen this stuff?

http://youtu.be/9lG6O5lvhm8

There's also a video on Jay Lenos garage that demonstrates this stuff. Not sure of the cost but looks awesome!

Mario
Old 03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

All I can say is "Wicked" I can see where this is going with the hobby ..
Old 03-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

hey mario yea i have seen that before ..there is a shop down here in pickering that does this.i was out by there a few weeks ago talking to the guy to get him to chrome some things for me .once he does it i was going to post pics of the before and after pics..just waiting for the guy to get back to me .he said he prefers to do a whole mess of stuff all at the same time because it ties up his paint booth...it is so cool .he showed me things he had done helmets etc...the only downfall is it shows any and all imperfections in the piece
Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH429 View Post
Ihbuilder, that's impressive, can't beat that on the cool scale. Good luck. I should be done with my print once I get the design figured out and cut up in 8-10 hrs of print time. How long you estimate your mill job to take?
so far an hr to 3d the roof . the longest part is in the design next the setup . 5 axis would be nice

great job so far