RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction General Discussion

Construction General Discussion General questions

Old 05-18-2017, 02:04 PM

Surftrucker is on a distinguished road
Default 8X8 or hydraulic excavator, advice please?

Hi All, new member here. Decided to get some advice from the experts so I’ve come to this forum. Superb work here, very impressive and all credit to the contributors.
I’ve always tried to build items from scratch but struggled in recent years with family commitments etc. to get the necessary time for this approach. Consequently, I have lots of started projects but few finished. I have a Tamiya Scania with MFU and a few other bits. Now I want to invest some money into the hobby and was looking at two options:
• I have 3x high end metal driven diffs and chassis from a well-known German company, do I buy a 4th diff to complete an 8x8 set up along with the suspension and linkage elements and a good high end radio to match? (I have speed control and sound unit from Servonaut).
• Or do I purchase something like a 330D excavator as an entry into the hydraulics sector of this hobby along with a basic radio?
Both are very appealing but I’m leaning towards finishing the 8x8 and getting a good radio as a basis to build on in future years…… over to you guys…… thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 8X8 or hydraulic excavator, advice please?

Welcome. One need both a dump truck, and something to put load on it) Would advice to complete the truck first. Can be loaded with a shovel, until you get a excavator in the future 8-10 ch radio is fine for the truck
Old 05-18-2017, 05:56 PM

honda3 is on a distinguished road

Get the excavator, loads more fun than a dump truck plus it will give you motivation to finish the dump truck.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

not to scare anyone off, but a typical entry level RC hydraulic excavator (2000 USD) is usually delivered RTR, that is as in 'Ready To Repair' in my experience, often demands adjustments, modifications and fine tuning to get going properly. Not to difficult for the ones with good experience from hydraulics and radio control, but can be a steep learning curve for a beginner.
anyway, good luck in the hobby,
Old 05-19-2017, 03:41 PM

honda3 is on a distinguished road

Ive had my 360L for a few months now. I had to replace a servo on the valve block but thats it. Probably have around 30 hours on it and it impresses me every time I use it.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:38 PM

Surftrucker is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for advice so far. My thinking now is to cut back on the radio spec, try to finish the dumper on a shoe string and save like crazy for the excavator. Points noted about RTR, thanks Rimrock. I don't mind a bit of tinkering, for me it's what this hobby is all about. Currently trying to get the workshop sorted after recent house move. I'll keep you posted. .