RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:30 PM
Green Horn

ddmckee54 is on a distinguished road
Default What happened?

Was it just me that the forum hated, or did the forum actually go away for a while?

I hadn't been able to access the site for over 3 weeks, kept getting the message that the server wasn't available. Then yesterday when I checked in the site had started to come back to life. And today everything seems back to normal - What happened?

Or did the forum just hate me, and finally decided to relent?

Don
Old 03-23-2022, 02:50 PM
Craftsman

Smiley is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What happened?

I think that the forum crashed for some reason
Old 03-23-2022, 03:01 PM
Wannabe

CorbettTrailers is on a distinguished road

Same for me, I've been trying to sign in for at least 2 weeks. But I did notice the forum agreement expired recently.
ECMT Members: Join your Group. Go to your username in the top right corner of the page and click on it. When your profile opens go down to group memberships, Click on East Coast Mini Truckers, The social group will open and scroll down And in the middle it you will see "Join Group" Click on it and then confirm that you REALLY wanna join.
[SIZE="2"]
Old 03-23-2022, 03:49 PM
Journeyman

jerry56 is on a distinguished road

Just Glad it's back
Old 03-23-2022, 04:13 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

It had crashed hard but it seams it is back up and running for now.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-23-2022, 04:44 PM

Blender is on a distinguished road

Total relief this place survived
Old 03-23-2022, 04:49 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Total relief this place survived
Totally agree, there's a lot of good info on here. (Plus I was starting to get the DT's, needed my construction fix.)
Old 03-23-2022, 04:52 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbettTrailers View Post
Same for me, I've been trying to sign in for at least 2 weeks. But I did notice the forum agreement expired recently.
Forum agreement, is that something you need money to fix? Do we need to kick in a couple of bucks to keep the lights on?
Old 03-23-2022, 06:14 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Man I am glad to see this back. No other comparable site, at least in english, and Facebook just doesn't cut it.
Old 03-23-2022, 07:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

I'm glad it's back, i was afraid i'd have to get used to another board, or try to find some of you on that Bookface

No other place in english even comes close!!!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:23 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

It cost me about $500 a year to keep it going as of now. We will see what happens if we have to do a major upgrade. I wont ask for donations but if you want to message me and I can give you my pay pal address.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-24-2022, 09:09 AM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: What happened?

Travis, Sincerely thank you for keeping this going!

Aka Josh or Jasper! LOL
Old 03-24-2022, 09:16 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
It cost me about $500 a year to keep it going as of now. We will see what happens if we have to do a major upgrade. I wont ask for donations but if you want to message me and I can give you my pay pal address.
That's not really fair to you.

Some of the other forums that I belong to have "Supporting Members", people that are willing to kick in a few bucks to help defray the cost of the forum. I for one would be willing to do that, and I'm sure many others would be too. We gotta keep the lights on in this place WITHOUT just you having to foot the bill.

Maybe a separate page to become a supporting member, or to just donate a few bucks for the cause? That's not asking for donations, that's ALLOWING us to help.

Don

Last edited by ddmckee54; 03-24-2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:45 AM

Tgrzes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmckee54 View Post
That's not really fair to you.

Some of the other forums that I belong to have "Supporting Members", people that are willing to kick in a few bucks to help defray the cost of the forum. I for one would be willing to do that, and I'm sure many others would be too. We gotta keep the lights on in this place WITHOUT just you having to foot the bill.

Maybe a separate page to become a supporting member, or to just donate a few bucks for the cause? That's not asking for donations, that's ALLOWING us to help.

Don
I think that's a great idea. I would be willing to kick in. Lot's of great info here. Would hate to lose it!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:09 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road

Travis, thank you for running this place and keeping the lights on for us to hang out here!

I also wouldn't be opposed to buying some overpriced stuff like stickers or t-shirts with the logo Banner and url or something...
Old 03-24-2022, 12:49 PM
Journeyman

I'd be in for a supporting member kind of thing.

Last edited by jerry56; 03-24-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:55 PM
Wannabe

trilliwilli is on a distinguished road

I had an email exchange with Joe (LilGiants) about a year ago about the login problems I had. He explained to me that the original founder FreddyGearDrive past away and the passwords and licencecodes for the forum went with him.

Basically the forum needs a computerexpert that know how to migrate to new software and the financial side is then to pay for license fees, serverspace etc.

Since the software is very old a crash can happen again. There is already some spamming going on again.

When the forum went blank I emailed Joe again to ask what happened and he confirmed that the forum had crashed. In the same timespan I contacted Bo Wallen through Facebook, he is one of the administrators of the RCTruckandConstruction page on FB, to ask if he knew anything, since Joe’s answer came some time later.

He didn’t know and apperently doesn’t have contact with the forum administrator (my conclusion).
He wanted to take over the administration of the forum some time ago, but it didn’t happen for some reason.

Now I am not in a position to give any opinion about what has happened, all I know is that running a forum is a difficult task that requires a lot of knowledge and if the owner decides to pay for it themselves also a costly one.

I think just spending just some money to keep this forum running is perhaps not the most futureproof thing, since an update to keep it working is almost inevitable. The forum was quit heavy on traffic, but almost dead on new contributions. To make it futureproof and user friendly, with direct photo upload, embedded Youtube videos and hacker safe invirement, so that my email and password is not stolen, is only possible with an active member crowd and modern software.

It is strange to me that the only English forum for RC trucks and contruction that I know of is more a Titanic heading for an iceberg than a comfortable, large, save community having fun.

I like to read here and see the different aproach from what I am used to here, but the current administrator(s) should think if this is just a FreddyGearDrive memorial forum, or should be something for the future.

Maybe I am direct or thinking out to loud, but with just paying the server costs the keep it running, the next crash might be sooner then you think with this old software. Or the server crashed and it is now running on a different one, then it might go alright for some longer, but the one who pays has got to be willing to keep it going as well.

I am glad to see the forum back after one month, and hope it is able to stay.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:22 PM

Actros4160 is on a distinguished road

We need to start to donate to this.

Everybody is using this board and a small donation can go a long way. So, please Travis put your paypal account in here and we can start support the Side, I would differently do that.

Bernd
Old 03-30-2022, 04:02 PM
Journeyman

Or create a "contributing" user account ( or whatever you want to call it) for $25 or $35 a year.... and put up a "donate" button. Explain it's to help defray the cost of running the site or upgrades etc.... then if something comes up you can ask the community for help otherwise use the donations for annual costs.
I'd do $35 a year to keep the site going.....or help anyway....
Old 03-30-2022, 06:09 PM
Green Horn

Zabco is on a distinguished road

Amen