RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Euro Style Trucks and Trailers

Euro Style Trucks and Trailers A place for the Euro style trucks single and twin axle trucks and trailers...

Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 AM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ScaleART - Assembling a MAN TGX/XL 6x6 tractor & Trailer

Love it. The paint really makes the chassis detail pop!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:38 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

Hi Prop, yup you are right, the red still shows the details. If you compare the pictures to the black one from the Arocs, big difference.

Re-assemled some bits today.

The heavy duty coupling at the front bumper. Couldn't get the pin in due to the paint so had to file out the openings in the coupling. Good thing I didn't paint the bits I left black.

Also re-attached the fuel tank supports. (fuel tank and straps will be black too)

Not much done, but time consuming because I had a "senior moment" about where I put some of the bits ...
Old 04-24-2016, 04:34 AM
Apprentice

Got around to actually doing something on the MAN again.

Had noticed that the fuel tank supports were not lining up. By moving the left one over to the right, it is not longer really on the more narrow part of the frame. So took the spacer out and replaced it with regular nuts.

That taken care off, time to do the bowden cables for the rear and front diff locks.

First I needed to bolt the holder for the servo that will operate the rear diff locks to the frame again.

Also needed to bolt a holder for the rear cable hose to the frame. As with the Arocs, I drilled the 2mm hole out to 2.5mm to facilitate inserting the cable.

The run of the cable is pretty straight forward.

The first rear axle still has the "old style" guide on the diff. So needed to loosen the screw so I could get the cable guide in there.

Wasted some time by trying out a couple of variations of running this cable to see what would work best.

Ended up with bolting the front axle back to the frame. Didn't get around to doing the bowden cable for this one. This will be a more interesting exercise since the servo goes into the fuel tank.

Might take the cable guides back out and paint them red or black, that way they don't stand out too much.

Also been painting some other bits and pieces. Was surprised to find out that the fifth wheel is cast bronze.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 AM
Apprentice

So after yesterday's post, took the cable stuff of again to paint it black. Was not too happy with the way I had them running either, the bends should be much smoother so there is less stress on the servo.

Painting the cable guides black didn't work out too well as you can see on the pictures. Will need some retouching.

Since I had the cable out, I made the hole through which they go to the servo holder a bit larger.

I also drilled one of the holes in the frame out to 3.5mm so I can run the servo cable through it to the other side side the frame.

To run the cables a different way, I needed one more clamp to go on the frame

As you can see the clamps have no thread near the top. ScaleART provided 2.5 mm nuts to go there. Too lazy to search for them, so I just drilled out the thread in a 2mm nut instead. Same result.

Blue arrow is the newly installed clamp

Ran the cable for the front axle first. I also installed the rear prop shaft to make sure nothing gets tangled up.

Not too happy with this way either. The bowden cable gets hung up in the frame hole. And the clamp on the other side of the frame is not in the right location. So dumped that idea.

Here both installed in a way they have free movement, don't rub too much and have nice big bends.

In the following 2 pics you can also see the amount of movement in the prop shaft. I did put grease on the shaft, was a bit tight after painting. Also put Loctite on the grub screws holding the prop shaft to the axles.

I also removed the clamp I installed yesterday since I didn't need it.

So now to the front axle ... Had to install engine/gearbox/propshafts to check for interference with the cable.

Cable can run like this

This is where we are at now ...

Seems that before I can do the servo in the fuel tank, I will have to add some more bits and pieces to the frame to know the almost exact position of the fuel tank. Also time to dig out the electronics to set the servos in "neutral" so I can start cutting the actual cables.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM

calum_scania is on a distinguished road

Great build you've got going on, the red frame really makes everything stand out
I remember having to spend some time doing those cable to tamiya truck, keeping them away from moving parts and still working how they should needed a lot of patients

Calum
Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 AM
Apprentice

Hi Calum, thanks for the complement!

Spend today bolting most of the stuff back to the frame so I can get this thing moving again.

Painted the inside of the front fenders black - tried to tape it off for spray painting but that wasn't really practical. So just used a brush. Not that great a finish, but being mat black, will be barely visible anyway once the truck is finished.

Re-assembled the painted exhaust. Was of two minds to put the speaker in there, but in the end decided against it.

The board will have to go like this over the exhaust. If I do it over the fuel tank, there would be no access to the fill opening.

Rear fender supports back on

Plenty of Loctite on these. Also changed the provided philips head screws with these bolts. They are smaller at top and fit without hassle between the M1.6 bolt heads where the heavy duty rear is bolted to the frame

Moved the actual fender one bolt hole in compared to how I did it before.

Rear fenders and rear lights installed.

Air tanks support and air tanks installed

Mud flaps attached

And bolts cut as close to the nut as possible

Painted all the stainless steel screw heads matt black (as per a tip from Newcomer_2) and finally got the rear wheels back on.

And bolted a short M2 screw in the opening of the front differential to prevent muck from entering.

Next up the fifth wheel, cabin attachments front and back, motor/gearbox and then finally the servo for the front differential.

Last edited by Rakthi; 04-27-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM

Such a detailed rig. Loving watching this come together.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:56 AM
Apprentice

Hi Prop, detailed it is. And slowly getting back together too.

So yesterday I re-attached the rear cab support which has to be at 90°.

Then got the servo for the fifth wheel in it's neutral setting.

Re-assembled the fifth wheel and bolted it in place.

After that I re-installed the engine/gearbox and propshafts, and today I finally did the servo that goes into the fuel tank.

The servo holder that goes into the tank is actually for 2 servos and the bigger tank, so will need to shorten it a bit. On the bottom right you can see that the holder has a "foot" - I was a bit worried that I would have to sort something out about that to keep things stable, but it all worked out in the end.

Bolted the servo onto the holder and inserted it into the fuel tank. Very very tight fit. The Hitec servos are just a bit thicker than the Robbe ones ...

View from the other side ... pressed a bit too hard and slightly bend the servo holder. No big deal, easy to straighten out again.

Realised that I better install the filler cap first because I had to drill out the hole to 5mm to fit the cap. Would have been awkward with servo etc in place.

Filler cap glued in place with super glue

Servo centered etc etc

The servo was a bit wobbly because of the 2 pieces of shoulder on the housing. Decided to file them off so the servo would be more stable.

Servo horn drilled to 2mm to take the cable clamp

Continued ...
Old 04-29-2016, 05:10 AM
Apprentice

The cable clamp installed and testing fit in the tank ... the servo horn hits the edges, so will have to do something to get the servo further back

3 M3 washers on each side solve the spacing problem, but now the thread from the cable clamp is hitting the edge.

So this gets cut off, the outside cable tube is attached so I can define the exact length I will need before I insert the steel cable.

The servo in place, and the cable and servo wire pulled through the 4.5mm hole I had drilled in the back of the fuel tank. (The cable has been pulled through that hole so many times all the black paint got rubbed off ...)

After this final fitting and cutting the cable hose to size, the steel cable installed, everything back in the tank, the sides clipped on and the tank attached to the frame. Forgot to take pictures from the bottom, but will do when I attach the cable to the front diff lock and adjust the servo.

Set the cab in place to get an idea what it will end up looking

Next up will be the servo block that goes in front of the motor/gearbox, and then have to get out the receiver etc. so I can adjust all the servos.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:43 AM
Apprentice

The missing picture of the cable going to the front differential.

The servo block installed in front. Not the easiest of installs - a bit difficult to line the holes up, but with some patience it all comes together without too many problems.

Next up the bowden cable from the center differential.
Not the most accessible place and should have checked for fit before installing the motor/gearbox unit. Had to clear some paint from the opening, not so easy with unit in place.

The cable loops from the right side to the left side, goes behind the crossbrace and loops back towards the front on the right side to end up at the servo.

The cable clamp at the servo is not accessible. The front axle blocks it.

Solution, undo the clamp, run cable through it and tighten the grub screw

Then you can run the teflon tube through it, followed by the steel pull cable.

Here installed, together with the front steering rod.

The gearbox linkage next. This gets installed with gearbox in 2nd gear (indicated with a mark on the rod that comes out of the gearbox)

Last are the pull cable for the 2 rear axles. Because I was first planning an air suspension, I cut off the cable clamps and drilled a hole next to it. I should have ordered new bits from ScaleART for this, but didn't think about it. Oh well. So I just installed as I would have had to do for the air suspension.

I ran the cable in a loop (fine tweezers sure are handy here)

Tighten the loop and slide the provided sleeve in place.

As added security, I also put a good amount of superglue on the cables before taking pliers to the sleeve.

Cables tensioned at the servo.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:12 AM

Tp_hofmann is on a distinguished road

The color schema is really nice - looking forward to see the truck and its trailer completed
Old 05-09-2016, 05:15 AM
Apprentice

Hi Tom, thanks for the compliment on the colours. And I better hope I still have enough of the red left for the trailer! Just found out the supplier no longer delivers the stuff Is what you get for going to live out here I guess ...

As for when it all will be ready??? Well today I finally got around to setting up the receiver and syncing it to the sender ... because I figured I didn't need to check the manual, I succeeded in completely erasing the data from the Arocs (and probably the Fumotec too) ... So stupid.

Well at least I got the new receiver sorted out (kind off)

Here some pics (at least I have to show something for the "disaster")

Hooked up the battery to the board and got a nice "zap" when I touched the contacts ...

So some electrical tape was on order

After the Arocs build I got me a decent crimper for the wires on eBay. So much easier to work with and less chance of short circuits because of stray bits of wire touching one another.

The set up for syncing the receiver and the transmitter.

In the interval between above and below picture I really succeeded in messing up the programming from the AROCS so I didn't get around to the fine tuning of the servos used in the truck.

At least I have some pictures that show how to sync the receiver and transmitter.

First you search for a new model

Once a model is discovered you assign it a memory location and start setting it up, starting with a name

You can also add a password if you like.

I then selected one of the pre-made configuration that are already programmed into the transmitter. This gives a good base to start from. The connection is then established.

Next up will be plugging in the servos in the right slots and fine tune the limits and dead points.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 AM
Apprentice

So, plugged in all the servos to check where they go. Switched on receiver and sender, and did a quick check of all the functions.

Then unplugged them all to be able to check them one by one and adjust the settings.

Started with the centre diff lock. As you can see the servo swings too wide which puts too much stress on it.

For this we have to go in the programming of the sender for that servo.

Press the OK button to enter menu for that Servo

Scroll down until we find the servo adjustments

Press OK and enter the settings

That done, on to the rear differential which needed the servo reversed since activating the rear diff lock released all tension on the cable

Same thing, enter menu, scroll down to find the adjustment and make the change (the pre loaded program is not 100% right)

After this, on to adjusting the swing of the servo, but after a couple of adjustment the servo stopped responding ... so one dead servo ... not too happy about that.

Then more misery, the front diff lock servo (yup the one the fuel tank) pulled the same stunt ... so that one dead as a dodo too ...

Have one spare one (from the Arocs trailer coupling I didn't use) and ordered 2 replacements - just in case.

Opened up the servo from the rear diff and but can't see anything burned. Guess just bad luck. Neither servo been under stress either (not like the one I burned out in the Arocs)

Well that throws a wrench in the works ... have to wait at least 2 - 3 weeks for those 2 servos to make it here ... Not too happy at the moment.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 PM

Tp_hofmann is on a distinguished road

We had several "hitec" servos dying :/

Surprisingly this happened despite setting max load parameters with the hitec programmic tool. In my arocs the hitec sayed good bye to the world with smoke & smell :/

Br,
Thomas

Ps: isnt there an english onscreen menu available on commander as well?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 PM
Apprentice

Hi Thomas, indeed there is an English menu, but I got one of the first ones out of the company - it even came without manual. I have the English software (you can download it from their website) but haven't got around to installing it in the transmitter. Well, since I am Flemish, the German isn't that big a problem (can read and speak German, but have hard time writing it), and it keeps the curious here from messing with it.

The Hitec servos wouldn't be such a big deal if I was in a place where you can go to a hobby shop and buy them, here nobody has them in stock, so have to order them, which takes time. One company in Kuala Lumpur has stock, but they want US$47.90 + shipping - a bit excessive if you ask me. Cheaper to get them from USA or EU and wait a bit.

Well not looking forward to redo the one in the fuel tank though. Glad I didn't follow the manual and had both of them in the larger tank.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Sorry to hear about your servo woes. Ive had alot of issues with the mini and micro size servos also. Out of the 4 hitec micros i ordered one was doa, and just recently a futaba mini I was using as a shift servo on my Disco went up in smoke. Literally. I need to order 7 servos for the new Tatra and have decided to go with Savox. I hear nothing but good things regarding them. Maybe worth a look.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 PM
Apprentice

Thought about Savoy, have those in the CAPO truck. Played with the idea to get one out of there, but too much work taking the thing apart. Also not sure about the fit and a tad too lazy to check the sizes. Will see how it works out.

Maybe I should just have gone for the non-digital ones. Might order some of those next time. Less to go wrong.

Meanwhile I will adjust the rest of the servos and plug the spare I have in the fuel tank. Start pulling the electrics towards the front etc. That will keep me busy for a bit.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 AM
Apprentice

Well got the fuel tank off and the servo out. Checked servo, same as the other one. I connected the electric motor of the servo directly to a 5 volt battery, and no go, so seems like the little motor died and not the electronics. So much for the trouble shooting I could do here.

Had a really hard time getting the side covers of the fuel tank. Good thing I didn't glue them as suggested in the manual!

Stuck the spare servo in there, and hooked it all up to the receiver and then switched diff lock on and off a couple of times. This servo seems to be behaving. (Actually should have used receiver/transmitter the first time too.)

Diff unlocked

Stuck it all in the fuel tank and then locked/unlocked about 40 - 50 times ...

Very tight fit though.

Unlocked

Locked - The nut of the cable holder is almost touching the sides. Thinking of adding 4 or even 5 washers instead of 3, but will have to file some of the ridge to make sure the servo fits then.

I dinged the tank taking it out, so will need a bit of sanding and painting again ...
Old 05-18-2016, 11:57 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Tight indeed. I would never have thought that a servo was in there. Very neat place to hide ithe. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:41 AM
Apprentice

Hi Liftmys10, If we could still get the FS 70 MG servos from Robbe it would be a bit easier. Those are about 1mm less wide and 2 mm less high. But sadly enough Robbe had to close the books and the Hitec ones are closest in size for the same torque.

Well nothing a couple of washers and a bit of filing can't take care off.

And filing is the only thing I got around to doing today.

Taking that ridge out should make it possible to get the servo a tad more to the back so there is more than a hair's width of space left when the diff is locked. Bit worried that over time the plastic servo horn will start bending a little under the tension and hit the sides causing more stress on the servo.

Tags
man tgx xl, scaleart, trailer