RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 AM

gmmiller06 is on a distinguished road
Default First Conversion Attempt

Sup everyone? Just wanted to go ahead and start this thread. I'm going to attempt to convert a L574 wheeled loader. All of the parts I've ordered haven't come in yet. Will have more updates then. I plan to use tamiya semi axles for the drive along with an SCX10 tranny if I can fit it in. If not I will have to come up with something else. I also plan to use Firgelli actuators for the lift and bucket. I found some new on fleabay for a little cheaper than directly from Firgelli. I still need to order one for the bucket though and I'm hoping these 100mm aren't too long to use for the boom. I'm thinking a 30mm or 50mm for the bucket, but I'm not sure which. I don't want to limit the travel of the bucket by using too short of an actuator. Anyways, here's a picture of it in stock form. I will start tearing into it later today and will take pics to update. Wish me luck lol!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Conversion Attempt

You will love the little machine once you get it going! Mine is one of my favorite things to operate. 100mm might be tough to fit on the boom. That's a really long actuator for such a small machine.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
You will love the little machine once you get it going! Mine is one of my favorite things to operate. 100mm might be tough to fit on the boom. That's a really long actuator for such a small machine.
You aren't kidding brother! I got them on flebay for a bit cheaper than direct from firgelli. However this was the only size available and I jumped the gun on ordering lol. I did however manage to fit them on, but I don't think the boom will go as low as I'd like. But for my first ever attempt, I'll just be happy if this things works haha. I have found that the scx10 tranny and 65t motor isnt going to fit. I have ordered some 6v 100rpm gear motors(160 Oz torque each) from robotshop and they should be in tomorrow. I'm hoping I can run both motors from a sabertooth 12X2 controller which I also ordered. Do you guys think that will be sufficient to power the model? Anyways, here are some pics of the slow progress. Yes, I did make an error on the first hole to mount the boom but it's all in learning I guess. If I could go back it would be much neater and I'd surely use 50mm actuators.

First, I put the axles together.

I locked the rear axle using the extra gear method.

Of course no conversion comes without a nice little brew.

I then took the model apart trying to preserve the tabs. I only broke two.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 PM

This is the first of the parts that have come in. Using rc4wd mil-spec tires with tamiya hummer rims. I thought about adding bb's to the tires but I'm not sure I really need the extra weight. Opinions?

I cut out part of the body to let the actuators fit. This was a lot of trial and error. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have cut so close to the bottom. It is not needed where I eneded up mounting the base of the actuators.

I drilled a hole( actually 2 holes because the first one didn't work with the longer actuators) and used the metal rod that the stock bruder tires were mounted on. They were a perfect fit for the 6mm holes for the actuators.

You can see here how much I had to hack this thing for the longer actuators. Anyone doing this conversion take my advice and use 50mm actuators for the boom lol.

I also had to hack the front so that the actuators could move to the lowest possible position since they are so long. This barely leaves room for the axle to be mounted.

The point of no return lol. Here is a shot of the actuators mounted to the front. I still need to order the one for the bucket. I'm definitely going to go with a 30mm. I know it's not as pretty as many of the ones on here. But for my first shot at it I am not disappointed.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmiller06 View Post
You aren't kidding brother! I got them on flebay for a bit cheaper than direct from firgelli. However this was the only size available and I jumped the gun on ordering lol. I did however manage to fit them on, but I don't think the boom will go as low as I'd like. But for my first ever attempt, I'll just be happy if this things works haha. I have found that the scx10 tranny and 65t motor isnt going to fit. I have ordered some 6v 100rpm gear motors(160 Oz torque each) from robotshop and they should be in tomorrow. I'm hoping I can run both motors from a sabertooth 12X2 controller which I also ordered. Do you guys think that will be sufficient to power the model? Anyways, here are some pics of the slow progress. Yes, I did make an error on the first hole to mount the boom but it's all in learning I guess. If I could go back it would be much neater and I'd surely use 50mm actuators.

First, I put the axles together.

I locked the rear axle using the extra gear method.

Of course no conversion comes without a nice little brew.

I then took the model apart trying to preserve the tabs. I only broke two.

Now that's a good picture!! The beer, the dark beer!!
Looks good and keep the pics coming.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I think those motors will be fine. I run four of those type of motors in my conversion but they are 77rpm direct drive. I had 133rpm motors first and it would do wheelies if you went reverse to forward.lol It was fun but not very practical for digging. The sabertooth is way overkill for what you need with those motors but they are very nice. You may want to save it for something else and just buy one cheap Hobbyking or eBay esc for the drive motors. I run all four of my motors off of one HK esc($11US). As Coop said, keep the pictures coming!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:02 PM

A little progress today. Hopefully I can get this thing going.

I cut out clearance for the rear axle to fit. It took a decent amount. I got her bolted up though. I used aluminum angle to mount it up.

I plan to mount the motor and gearbox to the aluminum pieces you see here.

Hopefully like this.

And this

I then moved to the steering servo mounting. This took a bit of thinking for me to figure out. I notched out an area so the servo fits slightly down in snugly. I trimmed the servo to fit up to the chassis.

I hope to use this servo wheel that I mounted some ball joints onto and rods from an old duratrax evader chassis I had.

I used this to secure the servo into place. I used it liberally. The package said it will withstand 4400 psi so we shall see how it works.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 PM

Somehow I overlooked these pics on the last reply.

You can see how I mounted the axle here.

Here is another of the servo. I used the epoxy liberally on the area that butts up to the chassis and all around the bottom of the servo, which is seated in a notch I made for it.

I figured since I had to re-post I might as well include the following shots.

Here is the sabertooth dual 12A motor controller. It looks quite nice as RCP57 said.

I am very pleased with how this tire/wheel combo fit. I will paint the rims yellow though so they hopefully match the machine.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:16 AM

Cooper, I just realized a few months back that I like dark beer. Such a nice beverage. And RCP57 thanks for the tip man. I will definitely have to take a gander at some HK escs.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Green Horn

Cat966c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
I run all four of my motors off of one HK esc($11US)
How, if I may ask???? I'm new to this thanks!!!