RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:01 PM

ptebbe is on a distinguished road
Default New Premacon 956...finally after 1 year!

So I finally got the call that my package was at the airport, fresh from Germany....exactly 1 year and 2 weeks after I ordered my Premacon 956. This model was worth the wait and the cost! I had initially ordered a 944, but after discussion with some of you I decided to change my order to the 956...and I'm glad I did. I ordered the advanced assembled model, custom color, and the LST Grabber kit. No hydraulic quick disconnect. I decided to install my own radio, the Servonaut HS-12 with 3D sticks (more on that later.) Then I added the Servonaut SMB excavator sound module. I am very happy with my choices at this point!
More to follow....Paul

Old 05-19-2016, 12:02 PM

Default Re: New Premacon 956...finally after 1 year!

1st Video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMZx8GrXa1Y
Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Wannabe

Stuart is on a distinguished road

Congrats on a mighty fine purchase!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New Premacon 956...finally after 1 year!

Lucky guy! Have fun with your new excavator
Old 05-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Congrats on a beautiful machine and thanks for sharing the vid of first dig.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Such a nice piece of art/equipment. Did they install the sound module for you?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:07 PM

Default Radio Choices.....Servonaut HS-12 transmitter

I installed my own Servonaut radio and sound (from Der GearDoctor), as Premacon does not offer them. I ordered the excavator equipped with a speaker box and speaker, so all I had to do was tap into the onboard power and plug in the sound board. (The Servonaut sound was $150 cheaper than Premacon's sound, and requires fewer channels to operate.)

For my Transmitter, I chose to go with the Servonaut HS-12 Radio. It won out after considering the following options:
Scaleart Commander 5000: top quality, manual and menus in English, but at $2500+ was just too expensive.
Brixl 20channel: beautiful radio, can be installed by Premacon with a display inside the cab of the excavator with time, volts, temp, etc. Also very expensive, plus the menus and manual only come in German.
Spektrum Dx-18 (my current radio): offers full functionality, but I would have had to control the hydraulic accessory channels with the rear sliders (which are not self centering.)

The HS-12 is the "budget" 3D stick radio. At $700, it's definitely the cheapest. Functionally, I love the radio so far. The sticks work great and programming (English menus) is very simple. BUT, it has a cheap feeling plastic case and doesn't offer the bling of the pricier models. Their receiver only offers 12 channels, but you can add more by "splitting" channels 7 and 8 into 4 simple controls each using the Servonaut MM4. As configured, my excavator uses all 12 channels.

Programming is very simple: you set up each channel using the servo menu, name it, and tell it what type of control it is. The buttons on the face can be set up in various ways, depending on what type of control (simple on/off, three way on-mid-off, slider, hydraulic emulation, pump control, etc.) I was hesitant in that there were not true linear dials and sliders for some channels, but the system actually works quite well. The joysticks can control up to 5 channels each (left/right, Up/DN, 3D rotate left/3D right, and hold the button to access another level of left/right and up/down controls.) Each control can be "mixed" to up to 3channels (that is the limit); however there is no limit on how many mixes a channel can receive. The menu is straightforward and programming is easy. There are even directions on how to control the Tamiya MFU (but I didn't try it.)
Paul

Last edited by ptebbe; 05-21-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 PM

A few more pics....

Old 05-22-2016, 01:12 AM
Journeyman

Hemi1966 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radio Choices.....Servonaut HS-12 transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptebbe View Post
I installed my own Servonaut radio and sound (from Der GearDoctor), as Premacon does not offer them. I ordered the excavator equipped with a speaker box and speaker, so all I had to do was tap into the onboard power and plug in the sound board. (The Servonaut sound was $150 cheaper than Premacon's sound, and requires fewer channels to operate.)

For my Transmitter, I chose to go with the Servonaut HS-12 Radio. It won out after considering the following options:
Scaleart Commander 5000: top quality, manual and menus in English, but at $2500+ was just too expensive.
Brixl 20channel: beautiful radio, can be installed by Premacon with a display inside the cab of the excavator with time, volts, temp, etc. Also very expensive, plus the menus and manual only come in German.
Spektrum Dx-18 (my current radio): offers full functionality, but I would have had to control the hydraulic accessory channels with the rear sliders (which are not self centering.)

The HS-12 is the "budget" 3D stick radio. At $700, it's definitely the cheapest. Functionally, I love the radio so far. The sticks work great and programming (English menus) is very simple. BUT, it has a cheap feeling plastic case and doesn't offer the bling of the pricier models. Their receiver only offers 12 channels, but you can add more by "splitting" channels 7 and 8 into 4 simple controls each using the Servonaut MM4. As configured, my excavator uses all 12 channels.

Programming is very simple: you set up each channel using the servo menu, name it, and tell it what type of control it is. The buttons on the face can be set up in various ways, depending on what type of control (simple on/off, three way on-mid-off, slider, hydraulic emulation, pump control, etc.) I was hesitant in that there were not true linear dials and sliders for some channels, but the system actually works quite well. The joysticks can control up to 5 channels each (left/right, Up/DN, 3D rotate left/3D right, and hold the button to access another level of left/right and up/down controls.) Each control can be "mixed" to up to 3channels (that is the limit); however there is no limit on how many mixes a channel can receive. The menu is straightforward and programming is easy. There are even directions on how to control the Tamiya MFU (but I didn't try it.)
Paul
Congratulations for your new machine, it's a beauty

I'm also thinking of getting the HS-12 for my Cat 374. What do you use to run the tracks, did you mix them to the sticks or use the buttons ?

The Commander 5000 would be nice with separate drive sticks and all, but like you said way too expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

A beautiful machine you've gotten yourself. I'm glad to hear that the radio works well. I've got one on the way in the mail. It's nice that they have included examples on how to set up an excavator in the manual.

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 05-22-2016, 03:51 AM
Wannabe

I added the same 3D sticks to my X9E, fantastic for controlling my 944B, I use the 3D for the tracks so you can operate the boom/stick/bucket/slew at the same time as tracking, or flick a switch and use up/down/left/right on the left stick for more controlled tracking when loading/unloading on a trailer.

I can start a thread if anyones interested (rather than highjacking this one!)

Stu
Old 05-22-2016, 03:58 AM
Journeyman

Hemi1966 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I added the same 3D sticks to my X9E, fantastic for controlling my 944B, I use the 3D for the tracks so you can operate the boom/stick/bucket/slew at the same time as tracking, or flick a switch and use up/down/left/right on the left stick for more controlled tracking when loading/unloading on a trailer.

I can start a thread if anyones interested (rather than highjacking this one!)

Stu
Please do Stu, I'm interested

Old 05-22-2016, 04:02 AM
Wannabe

Ok, will do, try to do it later today.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:57 AM

The X9E looks like another great option with 3D sticks. Stu, I'd like to see how you set it up as well.

One feature that I like about the ScaleArt and the Servonaut is that the LCD screen shows you what the buttons do for each model. This is more convenient than having to remember which button/switch you used for the lights, the diff lock, the horn, etc.

The way I have the radio configured right now is that the 1st level of sticks are SAE excavator controls, the 3D knobs control the accessory hydraulic channels, and the 2nd level of the right stick (hold the button) is for driving (a programmed mix with Fwd/Rev on one axis and L/R on the other axis.) That still gives me slew and arm extend/retract while operating the tracks. The radio could also be configured as Stu has done, which has the advantage he mentioned. Or you could put the left track on the 2nd level of the left stick and the right track on the right stick, tank style.
Paul

Last edited by ptebbe; 05-22-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 AM
Aussie Fabricator

titandigs is on a distinguished road

Great to see another Premacon machine down under, I am sure you will be happy with it, my 960 is the best machine in my fleet.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Wannabe

ok so i've started a thread on the X9E
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Apprentice

Paul thank you very much for explaining the different types of radios and pros and cons. I ended up getting the dx18 a month back for my excavator thinking I can use the rear sliders for the tracks, but as you mentioned, they don't self center.
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 956 especially since the euro was low. I ended up getting the komatsu pc700 from mother earth movers which should be in my hands in a couple months. Looking forward to your videos with sound from servonaut

Last edited by liftmys10; 05-22-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftmys10 View Post
Paul thank you very much for explaining the different types of radios and pros and cons. I ended up getting the dx18 a month back for my excavator thinking I can use the rear sliders for the tracks, but as you mentioned, they don't self center.
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the 956 especially since the euro was low. I ended up getting the komatsu pc700 from mother earth movers which should be in my hands in a couple months. Looking forward to your videos with sound from servonaut
Liftmys10-
IMO, there is a better way to configure the DX-18 for excavator control. Here is how I've done it: Use flight modes to figure 2 modes: 1st I call "DIG" mode, the second I call "Drive" mode. This is selectable on a switch of your choosing. In DIG mode the two sticks operate standard SAE excavator controls. With a flip of the switch I'm in "Drive," and the left stick still operates slew and Arm, but the right stick is then a joystick for drive control! This is not too difficult to set up, but requires multiple mixes to accomplish.
PM me if you need details.
Paul
Old 05-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Apprentice

Paul thank you again! I never thought of switching modes. That's very clever! Is it possible to email me your dx18 setup? That way I can directly import the setup files onto mine. I'll PM you. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Green Horn

SteinHDan is on a distinguished road

What would be the ideal controller for an excavator if you could dream one up?

I'm using the front analog triggers and the front buttons with my index and middle fingers to reverse the direction on a Logitech gamepad for the tracks and SAE setup on the two sticks.

That works well and gives very good control of the tracks while still allowing for full control of the arm and house. But it would of course be better if there was a two-way analog self-centering stick on the middle and index fingers. One for each track.

I'm thinking that if there isn't currently an ideal controller, then we could design and build one here on this forum? The cost would be minimal.

I'm thinking:
- A 3D printed body
- Two normal stick gimbals: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Mode_1.html
- A transmitter battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html
- Use your existing RF module or add any compatible module, for example this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html
- On/Off switch
- Some switches
- An Arduino to read the sticks and the switches, perform the mixing and send the PWM signal to the RF module
- An BlueTooth serial port to allow you to program and setup the transmitter with your mobile phone or PC
- A stand on the controller for a mobile phone or tablet to control advanced functions or show FPV and/or telemetry data from the excavator.

The stand could be something like the one on the Phantom 3 drone:

Shouldn't need to cost over $100 (USD).

But of course, I'm falling into my usual trap of always wanting to build everything myself.. ;-)

Could also be done with 3D sticks:
- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Tx_39_s.html

Last edited by SteinHDan; 05-22-2016 at 01:32 PM.