RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Equipment Tech

Construction Equipment Tech Hydraulics, Electronics, General Engineering, ect in constr equip

Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM

ks-construction is on a distinguished road
Default excavator construction plan

I would like to know if it possible to find some plan to start a scratch build of an excavator like hitachi or volvo

thank you !
Old 12-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Green Horn

mcl fabrication is on a distinguished road
Default Re: excavator construction plan

I don't know were you would find plans. But you can try reverse engineering one, I find that it is just as good. I am doing that right now. This would be my fist scratch reverse build. Here is what I did It may help. I was looking for metal parts for my hobby engine excavator and could not find any so I started making the parts myself. I have videos of my progress on YouTube. "Hobby Engine excavator modification by mcl RC fabrication and performance". You can check out what I did and it may help if plans are hard to find or cost to much.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I just use the basic 2D drawings from the manufacturers site and as many pictures as I can collect from different angles. If I can't find the basic 2D drawings then I just use pictures to build from.

What part of Canada are you in?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:02 PM
Green Horn

ricm is on a distinguished road

some people blow up copies of the engineering drawings you can find on the manufacturer's website or in the back of sales brochures for the real machines, to get true scale size for external dimensions and geometry. Internal design will have to be DIY but again manufacturer websites often show how the machines are built for real.

example - check out pages 16, 17, 18 in this Volvo brochure:

http://www.volvoce.com/SiteCollectio...71_2008-03.pdf
Old 12-15-2015, 09:20 PM

ks-construction is on a distinguished road

Thanks RCP57, ricm

Im in Bromont, Quebec RCP57
Old 01-03-2016, 09:49 PM

thetractorfan is on a distinguished road

RCP57 made a very impressive Volvo excavator that was hydraulic. I plan to make one as well. it is best to design on on your own. just draw what you want your RC excavator to look like and then plan out the components. sadly there aren`t many tutorials out there so here is some of the stuff you will need.
pump, valve block, relief valve, return line, tank, oil filter, cylinders, fittings, rubber hoses, 3 hydraulic motors,(if you wanted to have drive and slew done hydraulically), slew bearing, undercarriage, lots of track links, 2 sprockets, 2 idlers, different sized gears for tracks and slew bearing. thats what came off the top of my head. I am really stuck on the electronics though.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point

i would buy a empty kat excavator off of rcbrmin site then add good hydros to it.
i wanted to do that with mine but at the time you had to buy the full kit. i added rc4wd parts
after..
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Green Horn

mcl fabrication is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl fabrication View Post
I don't know were you would find plans. But you can try reverse engineering one, I find that it is just as good. I am doing that right now. This would be my fist scratch reverse build. Here is what I did It may help. I was looking for metal parts for my hobby engine excavator and could not find any so I started making the parts myself. I have videos of my progress on YouTube. "Hobby Engine excavator modification by mcl RC fabrication and performance". You can check out what I did and it may help if plans are hard to find or cost to much.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:28 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road

As others mentions here, I also use the sketches from the sales brochures, plus pictures I find on the web as basis for creating my own drawings. In some cases I also get hold of the parts catalogues for further details if needed.
There is a publishing company in Germany that sells many different drawings, made by private persons, of RC models for scratch builders, but when it comes to excavators it is very limited. http://shop.vth.de/bauplane-frasteil...fahrzeuge.html
I have to mention that many sketches in the newer CAT sales brochures are out of scale, doesn't make sense if one start scaling and taking dimensions. I had to give up the brochures and need to take a trip to a dealer with the tape measure But new Volvo, Hitachi, Komatsu brochures that I've been studying are quite 'dead on' when it comes to the sketches.