RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:03 AM

MattDk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1:50 Dragline

Looks awsome, really like that you got everything fitted into the cabin, thanks for sharing.

A project like this might very well be on the winter project list

Mario
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

I got a prototype clam bucket slapped together. No pulleys yet, haven't decided how to make them yet

I might have to remake the sides and include a fitting further out for the top tube attach points so it has a bit more advantage.

It might also need an open stop on the hinge point to keep from opening too far.

Jim
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Your off to a nice start. I do know they run 2-3 part lines on the pulley systems. Once pulleys are installed I think the adjustment of you lines will control the opening. Not sure.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Craftsman

Default New barges

I got the four new hopper barges finished and posted a video. It is all boat and no crane or loading so use your best judgement when deciding to watch it...

http://youtu.be/_RNmLntVfGs

Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road

The new barges look great, I cant wait to see more videos of them loaded up giving the tug a good workout. I am still very impressed with your back yard and pond. How much maintenance does a pond like that require? I am in the planning phase for my back yard at my new house. I have about 1/2 an acre to deal with and have been considering a water feature, although probably not to the scale of yours.

Thanks again for sharing.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Craftsman

FB,

Thanks. I actually am about to go load all four, and lock ,em thru the chamber. With video of course. I loaded one with the crane yesterday, and then I cheated and dumped sand into the other three, soi could push four loaded around. The new barges empty are much more affected by any breeze blowing them and the tow around. Makes it tricky to steer and put it where you want. And loaded, the tug puts out a nice roller wave behind during my short straight sections at full throttle.

The pond is not too bad to maintain. Over winter is the most trouble. Last year I drained the bottom and south pond and had to put in a temporary dam to hold normal pool in the north pond. Then I had to keep de icer running to keep an open hole so the fish survive.

Then this spring I drained them one at a time and cleaned the muck. It is a dirty job and would have been easier with a bottom drain.

At the end of the day, it is worth it, especially for me running my hauling operation.

The wife loves it!

Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

Bucket looks good, Jim. I wouldn't worry about an opening stop, the length of the closing line will control that. After you get your sheaves and reeving figured out, you may find you need to add weight to the center pivot to overcome the drag of them and open the bucket. Adding weight to a clam is never a bad thing since it improves digging. I used acetal rod for my sheaves and the stuff works good. You might be able to get creative and use a drill motor like a mini wood turning lathe.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Craftsman

Loading the new sand hoppers and pushing them thru the canal and into the lock chamber. Started to thunder and rain before I got finished.

http://youtu.be/-7S_VfLOgVE

Jim
Old 05-31-2013, 01:32 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Your tugboat seems to handle the load pretty good! I noticed the fish following the tug. Is the crew throwing food overboard? Nice video!!
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Craftsman

Ha, ya, the fish are crazy interested in everything! I get near the water and they are all over it. I suppose they think I'm gona feed em.

The tow ios very fun to operate. It is all about planning, especially with a heavy load. It will just keep going for ever.

It is not really overpowered a bit, which is how I wanted it.

I have fun in the evening watching the videos myself!

Jim
Old 06-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Craftsman

Default Two new videos

Two pretty short videos. Almost had decided not to use the footage but what the heck.

I finished loading all four sand barges with the crane and conveyor so thought I might as well push them around the pond!

http://youtu.be/jFo2MuysyRM

The crane barge is a prototype/work in progress. Wanted to see how it looked in the water with the crane on it. Shoud be a bit wider so it fits tight in the lock chamber, and probably a bit longer would look better. I had just finished pushing the loaded sand barges and my piloting was a bit too fast and overpowered when I tied onto the crane barge.

http://youtu.be/CkGplYkyBhc

Jim
Old 09-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Craftsman

Default Re: 1:50 Dragline MOTOR REFIT?

I am in the middle of a refit/overhaul of the little 1:50 Menck dragline. It was initially setup using micro servos converted to continuous rotation. I was thinking about using micro gear motors and speed controllers but it uses three motors in the house for drag, hoist and swing. There is also a servo in the undercarriage for locomotion.

My question, has anyone used a micro sized motor controller designed for quad copters to control brushed motors?

I'm starting to search for that now, but if someone has already done something along that line it might save me a bit of searching. I would like to use four of the pololu micro gear motors in the house and add boom control.

Jim