RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > Rc Truck's Q&A and Test section. > Question and Suggestion Section

Question and Suggestion Section Have a question or a suggestion for the board post it here.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 PM
Green Horn

Cat966c is on a distinguished road
Default Cat loader help

Hello, I'm planning on building a 966c loader after my current project and I need help on…well really everything. I've never made an rc vehicle before let alone a piece of heavy equipment. Really I just need the basics about rc cars and trucks and how to work with electric motors. Where do I start?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cat loader help

If you haven't had any experience at all with radio controlled models, I would suggest you buy yourself nice kit and jump right in. A Wedico Caterpillar 966G might be a steep learning curve for you though, so I suggest you take a look at the Tamiya semi truck kits, or any other kit that you have an interest in. Buggy, monster truck, ect. It doesn't really matter. Pick one you like, and build it.

Tamiya manuals are probably some of the easiest to read and understand. Wedico manuals are not, so you're going to want to work your way up to it. If you can put together a Tamiya truck, you'll be well on your way. When you buy your radio, it will come with a manual which will explain what you need to know to set up the electronics. The same with your electronic speed controller, which is what gives you proportional throttle and direction control for the electric motor that drives the model.

If you can read a manual and understand what needs to be done, you'll do just fine. If you don't understand something, you can always post a question here on the forum. There are plenty of guys willing to help you out. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Although I could write a book about everything RC and explain it all, I feel like the best experience and knowledge you will get will come from actually digging in and getting your hands dirty, so to speak. The hobby is a lot fun and it can be as complicated or as easy as you like. Start off slow and enjoy it. That's the best advice I can offer.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:56 AM
Green Horn

Thanks mate!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Green Horn

Well, what I'm wanting to do is canabalize my new bright cat loaders electric motors and wire them to a different radio controller. What do I need to know in order to do that, or will that work just the way I said it? Like; could I just hot wire the new bright motors to the radio receiver from the r/c car?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:07 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

I used to have one of those New Bright Cat wheel loaders. They were pretty awesome back in the day. If you really wanted to keep the original motors for all the functions - drive wheels and loader - you could wire each motor to a hobby grade, small electronic speed controller, and then plug the speed controllers into a hobby grade radio receiver. I would not try to save any of the original equipment besides the motors. I would gut the rest of the electronics and replace all of that with some hobby grade radio gear. From what I remember of my Cat loader, it wasn't very strong or capable. I would be a little worried about stripping the gears with some extra power. If you just want to load some light material, like feathers, sawdust, or styrofoam, it would be fine, but I remember being disappointed as a kid when I found out my loader couldn't even pick up half a bucket of sand.