RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Hayes HD Dump Truck - Take II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
A tiny bit of progress after hours of work.lol There is a reason people that build and sell wheels have CNC machinery. I would say that I am about halfway on these wheels after two full days. Next up will be machining the beads(not the kind Mario uses) and then I will do some more work on the hubs to make them look more realistic. I have started making my own axle housings(Rockwell 4640) for this but I am unsure at this point if i will use them. Once I decide what I am doing with that I will either cross drill the hubs for a set screw and a blind axle hole or machine a hex into the back for the stock axles, drilling right through and using a cap on the hub.

Thanks for looking!
Look great Reg . Yes , the CNC is necessary for wheel production otherwise you go crazy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakyat View Post
Simply AMAZING!!! Money will buy all the tools needed for a project like this, but the skill and talent you have is priceless!!! Definitly be watching these builds.
Thanks very much. Yes, you need to have a little of both to build these kind of things. Hopefully I can keep the build interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Look great Reg . Yes , the CNC is necessary for wheel production otherwise you go crazy
I would say you know that better than anyone else Steve! Even with stamping the centers this isn't a quick job. Especially when you factor in making hubs for all three axles. It took me 3 1/2 days to make the wheel assemblies for the first HD. I thought I could do it faster this time but it is going to be about the same. I guess one guy can only make parts so fast when each part requires several different setups and processes. Hopefully it looks ok in the end and then it will all be worth while.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Almost past this thread by Glad I took the time to look at it. Reg, Your skills went past mine on this one. Between the welding and now your die making ability, I feel like I am in grade school again compared to you. Took me awhile to figure out how you made the holes in the center pieces. All I can say is " OUTSTANDING!!!"
Old 01-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Apprentice

kerst is on a distinguished road

Great work! The wheels look great.

Kerst
Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Almost past this thread by Glad I took the time to look at it. Reg, Your skills went past mine on this one. Between the welding and now your die making ability, I feel like I am in grade school again compared to you. Took me awhile to figure out how you made the holes in the center pieces. All I can say is " OUTSTANDING!!!"
Let's not get silly now. I'm very flattered by your compliment but I could stand to learn a lot from you! I made up a simple collet to hold the centers at the correct height in the rotary table for milling the holes prior to pressing them together. A bit of grinding on a two flute endmill provided a shape that I am somewhat happy with. I will take a picture of my setup when I get the chance. All simple parts really.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well, all my hubs are roughed in finally! I threaded the 10, 1-72 holes in one front hub and mounted up a wheel for a test fit. I am somewhat happy!(rare) The don't look 100% correct but I do like how they look. Once I have everything machined the way I like I will make the dust covers for the front hubs.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road

Just so ya know.....I'm still buying lottery tickets so I can win and move in next door eh? So make sure that property doesn't sell
And enough about the beads! Don't make me come out there and bead it out of you!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Just so ya know.....I'm still buying lottery tickets so I can win and move in next door eh? So make sure that property doesn't sell
And enough about the beads! Don't make me come out there and bead it out of you!
All has gone quiet next door for now. Heard some rumors that money was running thin so they have shut down until spring. By then you will have won the lotto and be ready to buy. Raining heavily here today but we haven't had more than a dusting of snow here for three years. Pretty good weather for the RC's really so hurry up and pick that winning ticket my friend!

Oh, and yeah... No more comments about the beads...
Old 01-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road

Those are some great looking wheels. This is going to be a great truck, I always liked the old Hayes, they were pure work trucks.

Nice Job,
Chris
Old 01-24-2015, 11:15 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

My 1st steel wheels I made for myself where stamped much like what you are doing . I just didn't have a mill at the time ( well I had a hand held 1 ) . I tried tac welding them together , didn't turn out too well but got me into this mess I'm in now . The best thing out of it, Is the cool toys I have to werk with now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Some jewelery pics. I am finally getting down to it with these hubs....

Here's a picture of my poor mans powered 4 axis.lol It actually works fairly well and knocks the machining time down to about two minutes per bead. Certainly beats turning that handle thousands of times by hand!

And the goodies...

Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

Exclusive RC is an unknown quantity at this point

Beautiful job, i wouldn't expect anything less
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

I have to agree, "WONDERFUL JOB". 1 question for you, What is the wall thickness of the rim at the grooves? Would really like to see these in person They do look amazing. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do the centers have an angle on the main body?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:54 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what the wall thickness is. I know the grooves are 2mm deep so I am guessing it's around 1mm thick. Yes the hubs are tapered a little.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the quick answers! Another ?? for you- Why didn't you turn the grooves in the wheels instead of milling them? I know, I know, lots of silly ?'s but this is the way you learn things
Old 01-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Thanks for the quick answers! Another ?? for you- Why didn't you turn the grooves in the wheels instead of milling them? I know, I know, lots of silly ?'s but this is the way you learn things
I find it to be faster than turning them in the lathe. I don't know if it is my setup/tooling or what but I can never cut the grooves in the lathe without galling issues unless I turn the stuff really slow. Even then I have ruined a couple of wheels when they were almost finished. In the mill I use a 1/8 cutter with the mill screaming. I use the drill to turn the rotary table and my right hand can steadily feed the Z axis down(slowly) with only the occasional squirt of alcohol needed for coolant. The wrong way to do it but it works well for me.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Your way of machining the grooves is not wrong. Just another way of doing it. I normally use WD40 or a cutting/tapping fluid for coolant. Never thought about using alcohol. Would not be as messy!!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:34 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

That's an intresting way to make wheels. Read the tread twice but could not find how you made those oval holes. How did you fasten the discs to the tubing??
Didn't realy follow why it was not possible to turning them in lahte. The grooves could be done before pressing the disc inside, that way you will not ruin the hole wheel, just a thought
Dan
Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Your way of machining the grooves is not wrong. Just another way of doing it. I normally use WD40 or a cutting/tapping fluid for coolant. Never thought about using alcohol. Would not be as messy!!
Yes, the alcohol works very well. The mess evaporates and so it doesn't leave a residue that effects paint or powder coat. I owe my father in-law for that bit of knowledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
That's an intresting way to make wheels. Read the tread twice but could not find how you made those oval holes. How did you fasten the discs to the tubing??
Didn't realy follow why it was not possible to turning them in lahte. The grooves could be done before pressing the disc inside, that way you will not ruin the hole wheel, just a thought
Dan
The oval holes are made with a custom ground two flute end mill. Nothing fancy. The centers are pressed in tight and the lip I leave on them holds them straight. With the rear duals being one piece they are very strong just the way they are but once powder coating has been applied they should stay put for sure. Like I said before, I think it is my tooling or setup in the lathe that just doesn't work well causing it to gall and make a mess. I used a couple of different parting tools to do the job and they did work but you have to go very slow. I made the grooves in the wheels for my KW on the lathe and it took forever. I also destroyed one when it galled up and collapsed it in the chuck. I learned the hard way that it is better to press in the centers first before you machine the grooves. The centers are quite hard to press in and you run the risk of ruining the outer bead on the rim.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got the new kicks for this one the other day. I guess I had better get going on the axles!