RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Green Horn

Tommy R is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Peterbilt 6x6 Medium Hauler

Tiny update...

Wanting this styrene work to be plenty stout I decided to take a couple minutes and build some plates and bonded them to the OEM plastic. This will give me a nice, flat surface(s) to attach the new hood sides and it will provide a lot more strength. I'll wait to get the fenders in before I bond the new hood sides. The reason being I want to make one side and trim it to fit the new fenders and then will use it to make a template so both sides are as symmetric as possible.

Passenger side cut and mocked up.

Last edited by Tommy R; 01-26-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added 2nd pic
Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Green Horn

Got my Shapeways fenders in over the weekend and they look nice! The finish will require some sanding, but I'm pleased. I can't determine final positioning of the fenders until my wheels/tires arrive, but I've begun mocking things up a bit.

Installing the TLT axle and the Hi Lift front springs moved the axle forward a bit. Technically speaking, it seems most 6x6 trucks have the front axle set back quite a bit from a standard RWD truck. Mine won't be set back that far because I'd like a bit better approach angle. It'll still look pretty accurate so I'm good with it.

I'm having a hard time determining what model Pete this most resembles. And it doesn't help that most 6x6 trucks are so tall that they have sloped hoods and mine won't. So I may be building a truck that has never existed? Really not sure. So if anyone has input on if this truck most closely resembles a 357, 359, 389, etc. please let me know!

Anyway, here's some mock up pics. Nevermind the wheel/tire choice for now, but does the fender placement look about right?

If I keep this placement, I'll add some styrene down below so the fender isn't left unsupported.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Like you said wait until you have everything, If you were using what you have I'd say, based on the photos, you'd have to move the fenders back a bit so when you turn the tire doesn't get into the rear edge of the fender. Outside of that it looks good.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Green Horn

Well, the wait continues, unfortunately. I ordered my tires and front wheels from Stella on 1/20 and they shipped the same day. I chose Air Parcel over the cheapest shipping option in hopes I'd get it within a week or week and a half. I haven't seen an update since 1/23 and now have Stella looking into it. By the description I don't even know if it's left China or not. What a bummer! Anyway, moving on to other things....

So I got my 15mm spacers in from RC4WD. While I liked the new height of the transmission, they presented a problem. The transmission has a bulge by the shifter that is too wide to fit within the framerails. So I raised it a bit more (to 22mm) to get this bulge to reside inside the framerails better. Here's the spacers:

It's tough to see here, but if you look closely, the shifter area of the transmission is now inside the framerail and clears everything nicely.

Side view profile shot.

And even with the dash installed there's clearance between the motor and the body.

Looks like there will now be plenty of driveshaft clearance!

Next up is one of my least favorite things to do: bodywork. I picked up some Squadron White Putty and am beginning to clean up the sunroof and the top antenna emboss.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:37 PM

porky69 is on a distinguished road

If you are going to use air cleaners that have the exposed rubber hoses going through the side of the hood it would give the appearance of a 359

or possibly a 358 (basically a narrow hood ("needle-nose") version of the 359).

The 379, 357, 389 all have the air pipe from the air cleaners going directly into the side of the cowl.

How about changing the fenders and making a 353?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
If you are going to use air cleaners that have the exposed rubber hoses going through the side of the hood it would give the appearance of a 359

or possibly a 358 (basically a narrow hood ("needle-nose") version of the 359).

The 379, 357, 389 all have the air pipe from the air cleaners going directly into the side of the cowl.

How about changing the fenders and making a 353?
Thanks for the info! I considered doing a body style like the 353, but I wanted a style more like the 359. I'm pretty sure a 6x6 359 never existed so my build won't be entirely realistic, but hopefully it'll still look nice.

It's funny you posted that first pic. I downloaded it as an example of a paint scheme I'm considering. It seems there's some common 2 tone paint schemes for these trucks. There's this one:

And there's this one (although this one is more customized):

And of course some trucks have a painted chassis and fuel tanks/steps like this one:

After doing a lot of research on color schemes and combinations, it looks like my truck will come out a lot like this, but with more purple:

Found this one, too! Looks pretty cool and mine may come out somewhat similar in a lot of ways, but with 359 style fenders.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:29 AM

porky69 is on a distinguished road

That's the neat part about building a class 8 type truck...every one of them is built to order so while some options may not be common does not mean that it was not available to everyone.

I wouldn't doubt that there are very few 359 6x6 out there but I am fairly confident they are out there.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
That's the neat part about building a class 8 type truck...every one of them is built to order so while some options may not be common does not mean that it was not available to everyone.

I wouldn't doubt that there are very few 359 6x6 out there but I am fairly confident they are out there.
That's good enough for me! Thank you!

Now if only my wheels/tires would show up. Until then I can't mount my fenders or set ride heights. But I may be done with the bodywork. Just need to place a coat of primer on it to see how it looks.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM
Green Horn

Finally got around to swapping out a bunch of hardware for socket head stuff. I really don't like Phillips head hardware! I need to order more of certain sizes and some shoulder screws don't have a replacement so they'll remain, but overall, it should be much easier to work on and look way better, IMO.

And the bodywork on the top of the cab is looking pretty good. I think I may be done after one more round of light sanding.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Green Horn

Trimmed the floorboard to accommodate the higher transmission location.

Had to remove the seat mounting holes and will need to trim the seat mounts, but no biggie. I'll just glue them in when the time comes.

Intrudes into the cabin, but if it's visible when the build is done I may just fab up a new floor to hide it.

While test-fitting the body I noticed an issue. One of the reinforcing plates I added for the hood sides is interfering with the floor. I could've (and should've) Dremeled away some of the floor, but why not risk screwing up and having to do some more bodywork instead? LOL!

Fortunately, I am one with my Dremel and no harm was done while making adequate clearance.

And the Axial trans has now been "extensively modified" to be a transfer case!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Green Horn

Body work on the front fenders is done.....well, unless I decide to add some lights on top. Not sure about that just yet. It took several layers of filler primer and loads of sanding, but I'm pretty pleased with the result. The veritcal sides of the fenders are still rather rough, but I have no good way to sand those surfaces. Hopefully it won't be too obvious after paint and clear is applied....

Sorted the steering, as well. Used a short Losi aluminum servo arm (I don't like using plastic bits) and put the tie rod under the knuckles. Bumpsteer is minimal and clearances under bump travel are good.

Took a file to the knuckles to get a bit more steering out of the TLT axle.

Ackerman looks pretty decent. My thumbs says hello!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 PM

nenard is on a distinguished road

Wow !! fenders look great. What primer did you use?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenard View Post
Wow !! fenders look great. What primer did you use?
Thanks!! I just used some automotive filler primer I picked up from Advance Auto Parts. I'll see if I can get the manufacturer, but it wasn't anything special. But it did take about half a dozen rounds of priming/sanding to get it looking acceptable.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM
Green Horn

Since there have been no updates on the shipment of my tires and front wheels from Stella Models in Hong Kong, they suggested that I initiate a dispute via PayPal. On Friday I did just that and then ordered the same tires/wheels from Semi Joe. For the same overall cost I got it delivered in record time!! Great customer service and I'll remember that for sure.

All wheels/tires are made by Lesu. Pretty happy with them overall, except for a couple things.
  • Maybe I'm just used to crawlers, but these tires are hard! But that's probably okay because I plan on making this rig heavy and also plan to haul heavy loads with it. Those stiff sidewalls will be needed at some point!
  • The recess for the hex is too deep and needed a spacer so it wouldn't rub the knuckle.
  • I wish it provided a narrower track width because the fronts stick out more than I'd prefer.
  • The front tires could be a smidge wider. Visually, the just don't look that much wider than the rears. Not a big deal, though.

Here's the rears all mounted up.

Fronts mounted up.

Sorry for the crappy lighting, but I'm pleasantly surprised that the ride height looks pretty good. The front is only a bit higher than the rear, which is surprising given the front TLT axle. Once I add some weight in the form of electronics, battery, speaker, etc. then it may actually sit level! Schwing!

So I started mock up of the front fenders. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this positioning. Keep in mind the axle swings rearward under compression. I'll need to add some styrene under the hood sides, but I'll get to that later. For now I'm just interested in fender placement.

Again, sorry for the lighting, but here you can see just how far they stick out. It's not particularly awful given most heavy hauler or all wheel drive trucks' front ends are often fairly wide, but I'd hoped for better.

And can someone tell me what I did wrong with the install of my 5th wheel? Why is it angling the wrong direction?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Apprentice

trucker n is on a distinguished road

it looks like you did not put the little v shaped spring on the fith wheel shaft that holds the fith wheel so it leans towards the back
Old 02-14-2017, 12:38 AM
Green Horn

I just went through the instructions again and can't see anything I did improperly. In fact, there's even a photo in the back of the manual that seem to show the 5th wheel angled downward like mine. I'll try to get some photos tomorrow...
Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Check out Der Getriebedoktor for front axles that will fit your need. He also have them with cable operated difflocks

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

The truck is comming together nicely, btw!

Construction site on Facebook:

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 02-14-2017, 07:38 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

You should fill all your tires & fuel tanks too with air rifle BBs and make a custom front bumper from 1/4 inch steel the proper width to cover your front tires. The heavier your truck is, the better it gets around in offroad conditions, especially dragging an empty or loaded trl.

Joe
Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Green Horn

Thanks for the input!

I'm pretty content with the TLT front axle for now. Lockable would be nice, but this thing is already becoming quite a money sponge so I'm trying to be careful how much I spend on it!

I may add some weight to the wheels, but if I do it'll be in the form of lead rope wrapped around the wheel so I can keep the foams. But I definitely plan to make the truck heavy whenever I can. I don't like lightweight vehicles! A steel bumper is a thought. Was planning on aluminum, but I may consider a steel bumper painted to match.