RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Wannabe

Efroeh is on a distinguished road
Default 4200xl how experienced do you need to be?

Hey guys I'm wanting to buy the 4200xl from rc4wd. Ive been in the rc world for some time now have all types of trucks boats etc. This however will be my first construction rc. I am wondering how experienced does a person need to be to run it and maintenance wise?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 03:36 AM
Wannabe

Rimrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4200xl how experienced do you need to be?

Most people getting into RC construction have some experience with RC models in the past, like putting together e.g 1:10 car kits, knowledge about batteries, electric motors, ESC, radios and servos. Seams you have much of that sorted out already. The new thing is dealing with hydraulics, that one just need to get into step by step as one goes along. The hydraulics of RC construction machines is relative simple and basic compared to the 1:1 machines, but complicated enough for someone who don't have special training within the field naturally. The main issue is generally trying keeping hoses and fittings tight and leakage free, checking one have enough oil in the system. It's possible to get most of the basic know-how one need at forums like this, where hydraulics in general and specific models like the 4200XL are discussed.
Can start off with one first advice; one possible want to avoid working at an hydraulic RC construction machine at the table in the living room or kitchen, but be in the garage, basement or somewhere where potential hydraulic oil spill can't do too much damage..

Last edited by Rimrock; 06-09-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

I just got a 4200XL a couple weeks ago as my first hydraulic r/c. I too have been in the r/c world for 30+ years and found nothing real overwhelming on the 4200XL. This is a great forum for questions and you can do search for 4200XL in this section to find some great threads to read up on before you order.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 AM
Wannabe

Ok that makes sense I've built up lots changed everything there is to change on it. I race 1/10 4x4 sct amd have lots of others so that part is good. Hydraulics are not too bad growing up on the farm got lots of knowledge. I'm feeling fine now about buying one. Where is the specific 4200 forum? Thanks again and I'll be working in mely detached garage
Old 06-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Apprentice

There isn't a dedicated 4200xl fourm just do a search on this site in the construction area.
Something like this.
http://rctruckandconstruction.com/se...archid=1646276
Old 06-09-2016, 03:17 PM
Wannabe

Awsome thanks guys. Just seeing if my local hobby store can bring one in for me. I see now they have a version 2.0 I emailed to see what's new with it.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Wannabe

Just got a email back from them
The 1.5 version had 4 valves and the 2.0 has three valves. The technology is allowing to use less to make the same power. Very simple upgrade to reduce weight and components to keep it running the same and even better. 
Old 06-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efroeh View Post
Just got a email back from them
The 1.5 version had 4 valves and the 2.0 has three valves. The technology is allowing to use less to make the same power. Very simple upgrade to reduce weight and components to keep it running the same and even better. 
Yea, all that is a little suspect since the version 1.0 had the 3 valve block as well. I just went through the same thing wondering why go from 3 to 4 to back to 3? Tang at eagle machines who makes them and sells them on alibaba told me the new 3 block is better, didn't give me any details as to why. I highly recommend the track motors upgrade from Soyland.

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ad.php?t=11276
Old 06-09-2016, 10:43 PM
Apprentice

Keep us posted as to what you actually receive. A 3 or 4 valve block, lights controlled via TX or switch on excavator, and spring loaded idlers. I was told I was ordering a 1.5 but then was confused as to why I had a 3 valve block, was then told the time frame that I ordered mine (Late March) they were upgrading to the "new" 3 valve block but no mention of a version 2.0.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 PM
Wannabe

Ya my local hobby place I wanna order it threw is trying to get some final nunbers for me. Hopping tommorow I can pull the trigger on it. Those track motor upgrades are cool they look huge.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efroeh View Post
Ya my local hobby place I wanna order it threw is trying to get some final nunbers for me. Hopping tommorow I can pull the trigger on it. Those track motor upgrades are cool they look huge.
Yup, they are bigger than stock. Think of going from say a short can 480 to a 540. Also the reduction gears are smoother and you gain a small amount of speed on your tracks.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 06-09-2016 at 11:53 PM.