RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

frizzen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 53' custom box trailer build

Would it work to:
Hinge the bottom of gate, lifting straps off top corners to a winch. Make a shape about the size of gate from square tube, which can move up and down in very solid mounted a c-channel at back of the body. The 2 drum winch attach to top of this shape, so it moves with it, cable stop with ramp flat. Ramp hinge at bottom of shape, nothing too fancy.
Winch the ramp open and closed
Screwdrive the lift up and down
Maybe still make a set of ramps for the now mild approach angle to gate?

Well i wasted my guess. That's a Bmw rim. looks like someone makes 1/14 bmw i8, m3, m4, x6, x5.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Green Horn

Just_Build_It is on a distinguished road

I believe that might be the answer you just described. I watched a few YouTube videos of the life sized in operation. Actually Feather Lite has a good video of how those gates work on their trailers. In the video that I watched they use 2 separate cables at different lengths. One is for raising and lowering and the the other is for closing. Things seem to be coming more clear.

I ran through a couple ideas for exactly as you described for the action of the gate. I might have to see if I have two small 1:10 which motors for a screw drive and where I would have to mount them to achieve the proper landing. Since they can't sit on top or bottom for clearance issues considering how the screw drive mothers will have to be mounted vertical... Unless I can fabricat some kind of ring and pinion as in a differetial.

I do plan for a better longer and lower approach angle ramps, which won't be an issue.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Green Horn

Still stuck on the rear gate actions. So I decided to hook it up to my rig and it measures 65.5" from bumper to bumper.

I know how the door is supposed to work but I dont know where to begin with ordering or buying parts.I know where to get the parts, I just don't know which I will need for a screw drive mechanism or how I can lock it horizontal without hydraulics.

Its seems like on paper a winching system would work.Maybe I have to change things. I'm losing my mind! Once I solve this,the rest of the build will be a piece of cake. I'm 100% going to make this work, I won't give up and settle for a basic auto transport.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:25 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Locking with hydros?
i was only thinking each of the winch lines mounted to the top corners go through a small tube in the moving frame, with a big knot or crimped thing on the lines to stop it at horizontal. Gearmotor or hacked servo wouldn't need high torque, since it just works the gate close.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tools...nch-spool.html

Lift could be 1 or 2 actuonix actuators instead of building your own screw drives.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Green Horn

Hydro's were just a thought.

Opening and closing isn't an issue. But once the lifting and lowering action is executed there will be slack on the lines once its open and lifting at the same time thus causing the gate to tilt up and the bottom end to be pulled up causing the the vehicle to roll off backwards.

Two hacked servos working in unison would be the way to go for lifting horizontally allowing the vehicle to drive onto the deck. Then once the gate is at the second deck, servo #2 would be able drop the bottom end then servo #1 can pull the gate up to the closed position.

Thank you, Frizzen your input is really helping me to come up with a solution and give me fresh ideas.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Please excuse the ugly napkin sketch, it was drawn on my potato and not scale.

Back of trailer and channels the door frame ride in not drawn.

Winch hard mounted off the door frame. cables tight during open/close, and have stops that don't fit through the passthrough tubes in frame when it hits horizontal so its never going to slack.

Lift actuator not drawn but uses lugs at bottom of door frame, and another lug on a support whereever it fits coming off trailer frame.

Then possibly another winch down gate for the pretty side that shows when it's closed, or a big set of doors like a normal cargo trailer to hide this mechanism when all closed up.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Green Horn

Unless the winch line and screw drive are paired to keep the door level going up and down I can see how your sketch would work.

I've watched the full sized trailer with the screw drive open and close 100 times by now. In the video there's 2 lines on each side one short and one long that are manually unhooked and hooked up for the 2 actions(open/close-up/down).

I've noticed on the full sized it looks like the hinged part of the door when it lays horizontal it locks into or lays vertical against the place for the screw drive to pull it up with the long lines attached to the screw drive(long lines for support) slide so it moves as a single unit up and down. When opening and closing, the short lines are attached at about the halfway height at the horizontal position. After that it looks like there's a seperation or its just the short lines that are hard fixed to the door frame so once the screw drive pushes the door up/down, in return like a teeter totter pulls the door updown and is shut/opened. Does that make any sense? My brain cells need a break.

I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow to pick out some cactiwith my wife for mothers day (picking out plants is our tradition) and I'm going to look for square tubing and threaded rod for the screw drive portion.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Green Horn

Changed the gate and made it taller/longer. I really don't want to take the winches off my other vehicles so I started working on the screw lift but the threaded rod I have is too big and I need a collet for a motor to get it moving.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 PM
Green Horn

I changed things around and in this picture is the taillights an brake lights housing on the bumper. Still working on my polishing and metal working. Learning new things as I go.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Green Horn

Ok so now the lift gate is secured to the back of the trailer, I can now start working on the winching system.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Green Horn

Mocked up the side walls.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Green Horn

It's been a little bit since my last update.

The framework of the trailer is changing and becoming a lot more structurally sound. I'm replacing a lot of the wood for aluminum. I think I'm not doing too bad with my jigsaw, bastard file and, drill press. A band saw would certainly help cut down on the time spent fixing edges to square.

I'm going to try and use scale hex bolts as much as I can for a little more detail.

I was also trying to find a way to eliminate the use of the round amber LEDs but that's just not an option for me.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Green Horn

Changed up the king pin deck for aluminum which I'm still working on.

Last edited by Just_Build_It; 06-08-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Green Horn

Gradually making progress. I secured the kingpin deck and raised it 1/4" to clear the fenders and level the chassis.
At the moment I'm concentrating on the frame and I will do the electronics once everything is in place.
There are no plans for this build so I'm letting the build direct me where to go.

This will probably be the longest build I have done so far and its constantly being torn down and reconstructed which is driving me up the wall.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Green Horn

One more update picture of a mock up.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM

Hostile is on a distinguished road

Looks great mate. Just like the race transports we have at work!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
Looks great mate. Just like the race transports we have at work!
Thanks! Thats what I'm going for. It started out as just a regular box trailer but as the project went forward it has morphed into a complex auto hauler.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:57 AM

Its looking brilliant. That back door is perfect. Love that its going to be functional. Itll make the trailer really stand out.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Green Horn

If the gate wasn't operational, I probably wouldn't put so much effort into making a lift gate. It would've been so much easier to just build a regular drive-in hauler. Although it will need to have the axis/folding end cables manually connected/disconnected for the open/close function to operate properly. On second thought a clutch mechanism for the cables that I would have to disconnect manually is something I'm going to consider, now that the idea popped into my head.

So far Frizzen' has given me the best option for the cable system using 4 cables and a single winch. I have to craft a roller or fairlead of some kind for the cables.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:36 AM

I wish i got the chance to take some pics of the race trailer as it was in today. The way it is, is a worm drive for the up and down function and hydrolic rams to tilt. The rams are connected to the worm drive so they move in a set position. I think its very probable to get working like the real thing, it just might mean youd need to refab the rear set up.