RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Metal forming & tools

Metal forming & tools If it bends,twists,welds,cuts & turns metal.Post it here

Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Wannabe

Stuart is on a distinguished road
Default Mill advice needed

As the title says, i'm in need of some mill advice.
I've been looking into buying a mill for some time now and been weighing up the options.

I have the chance of buying a used (quite old) Bridgeport turret J-head mill (UK built)
Would this be to big for model making and a novice machinist?

Thanks for looking and any opinions appreciated

Stu
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Journeyman

pigeonfarmboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mill advice needed

I'd rather have too big than be limited. There are several occasions where I have an idea that I can't create because I'm limited to my Taig Micro Mill's size. If it's a reasonable price and you can afford it, go for it.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Green Horn

grumpygrady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
As the title says, i'm in need of some mill advice.
I've been looking into buying a mill for some time now and been weighing up the options.

I have the chance of buying a used (quite old) Bridgeport turret J-head mill (UK built)
Would this be to big for model making and a novice machinist?

Thanks for looking and any opinions appreciated

Stu
check it and make sure that it is working as in not to much slop
and then make sure you have the room lol don't ask how I thought about this question lol
and the more tooling that comes with it the better and as you have been told you can always use small bits in a big mill but can't always use big bits in a mini mill
Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
I'd rather have too big than be limited. There are several occasions where I have an idea that I can't create because I'm limited to my Taig Micro Mill's size. If it's a reasonable price and you can afford it, go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrady View Post
check it and make sure that it is working as in not to much slop
and then make sure you have the room lol don't ask how I thought about this question lol
and the more tooling that comes with it the better and as you have been told you can always use small bits in a big mill but can't always use big bits in a mini mill
Thanks Guys,

I was staying away from micro mills for that very reason, I don't want to have to upgrade in a year or twos time and I'm fortunate to have plenty of room for a large machine.

If there is a lot of play, is it adjustable or possible to re-build?

Stu
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

If I could have, I would have bought a Bridgeport knee mill too, but I did not have a good place for it. It's best to keep them in a climate controlled environment, otherwise they will rust. An insolated garage will do. Drastic changes in temperature will cause the machine to sweat, and the moisture will cause rust.

If you have a means to do so, by all rights buy the biggest mill you can. You will be glad when you need the extra x, y, and z axis working envelope. A smaller mill can still do larger parts, but it means repositioning your work a lot more, and that's a pain. Your throat height, however, will be something you cannot overcome.

That said, I am more then pleased with my bench top milling machine. It has it's limitations, but for what I do, it has been the best tool purchase I have ever made. I use it almost daily. My thought is any milling machine is better then no milling machine.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
If I could have, I would have bought a Bridgeport knee mill too, but I did not have a good place for it. It's best to keep them in a climate controlled environment, otherwise they will rust. An insolated garage will do. Drastic changes in temperature will cause the machine to sweat, and the moisture will cause rust.

If you have a means to do so, by all rights buy the biggest mill you can. You will be glad when you need the extra x, y, and z axis working envelope. A smaller mill can still do larger parts, but it means repositioning your work a lot more, and that's a pain. Your throat height, however, will be something you cannot overcome.

That said, I am more then pleased with my bench top milling machine. It has it's limitations, but for what I do, it has been the best tool purchase I have ever made. I use it almost daily. My thought is any milling machine is better then no milling machine.
Very constructive, thankyou,

I have a similar problem with surface rust on my cast woodworking machines, I usually coat them with an anti-rust after use.

Iv'e looked at bench top machines but second hand they go for way more than a full sized, more demand I guess and new is out of my budget.

Stu
Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Used Bridgeports can be rebuilt but it may cost more than what you pay for the mill. I wish that I had the room for a full size machine of any type. That is why I have Sherline machines. I have 6 of them right now that get almost daily use. A couple of them are dedicated lathes for making my bezels.

I would go look at the mill and ask to see it run if possible. Check to see how much the hand wheels move before the table moves. This will tell you how much 'slop' is in the machine.

Good luck in your dealings
Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Journeyman

tracksntreadslou is on a distinguished road

Hey Stu ..you probably thought of this but its also important as to what you have available for a power supply .I am not sure what the average service in europe has .how many amps / volts ..Most of your smaller bench top machines out there will plug into most outlets and changing panels are quite expensive. anyway hope you find something great
Old 08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1cat View Post
Used Bridgeports can be rebuilt but it may cost more than what you pay for the mill. I wish that I had the room for a full size machine of any type. That is why I have Sherline machines. I have 6 of them right now that get almost daily use. A couple of them are dedicated lathes for making my bezels.

I would go look at the mill and ask to see it run if possible. Check to see how much the hand wheels move before the table moves. This will tell you how much 'slop' is in the machine.

Good luck in your dealings
Wow that sounds like quite a production shop you have there!
Would love to see some pics.

I live in France and the machine I'm interested in is in the UK so I may have to take a gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracksntreadslou View Post
Hey Stu ..you probably thought of this but its also important as to what you have available for a power supply .I am not sure what the average service in europe has .how many amps / volts ..Most of your smaller bench top machines out there will plug into most outlets and changing panels are quite expensive. anyway hope you find something great
I have a 3 phase 45 amp supply (15amps per phase) and run 3ph woodwork machines so hopefully should have that covered, but thanks anyway.

Stu
Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Wannabe

Been awhile but picked up my Bridgeport yesterday, I asked the local quarry man to come up with his forklift to unload it from my van, here it is in position:

He also threw in the deal a 10inch rotary table, a fixed machine vise and a swivel one:

Its also got a Mitutuyo DRO fitted (not in pics) just need to get it wired in.
I have to say I'm pretty chuffed, its an old machine thats seen some action but for what I want it for should last me for years.

Thanks for every ones advice
Cheers
Stu
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Green Horn

FlyingBeagle is on a distinguished road

Wow, That is a lot of machine. I cant beleive you had to call in a favor to help unload it.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Looks like you got a good deal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBeagle View Post
Wow, That is a lot of machine. I cant beleive you had to call in a favor to help unload it.
It weighs a ton, literally, and he was more than happy to help, I offered him payment for his services but he refused and said "thats what neighbours are for" (I also buy my granite from him if I need it on a job, so I guess that helped)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbuilder View Post
Looks like you got a good deal
Yeah I'm really pleased with it so far, got it wired in and started making some chips

Had a spare 7 inch 3 jaw chuck for the lathe so I made an adaptor plate for the rotary table and machined a centering bar on the lathe:

Cheers
Stu
Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Wannabe

Got my new 2 inch indexed face mill today and just had to give it a try:

Also fixed the power feed unit, you gotta love power feed!

Not sure what the best speed to run it at though

Cheers
Stu

Last edited by Stuart; 09-24-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: ommision
Old 09-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Craftsman

Rvjimd is on a distinguished road

Looks like fun and potentially a hobby all by itself?

Jim
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjimd View Post
Looks like fun and potentially a hobby all by itself?

Jim
Its awesome

I like it that much that I treated it to a new DRO, the old one was very basic and one of the scales packed up, was cheaper to buy a complete new kit from China:

Scales installed with the original covers:

Cheers
Stu
Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM

5inchman is on a distinguished road

Hello Stuart

Seems we have something in common as well as an interest in your new project, I also bought an old Bridgeport some years ago, it also had a worn out Anilam Wizard DRO, can you point me in the direction that you bought your DRO from?

Also and this is a tad cheeky would you be happy to share your JD sketches with me?

All the best

5"
Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5inchman View Post
Hello Stuart

Seems we have something in common as well as an interest in your new project, I also bought an old Bridgeport some years ago, it also had a worn out Anilam Wizard DRO, can you point me in the direction that you bought your DRO from?

Also and this is a tad cheeky would you be happy to share your JD sketches with me?

All the best

5"
Hi 5"

The Bridgeport really is a fantastic piece of kit, not that I have anything to compare it to mill wise, would like to see some pics of yours and anything you have made with it.

I bought my dro kit here: DRO kit

They were really good to deal with, great comms, took paypal and arrived a week after ordering by fedex, great price too!

With regards to my sketches, theres not much to share really, they are sort of "on the back of fag packet" type thing.
Its a case of trial and error, I take measurements make a few notes and then machine until it fits and looks right, its all part of the fun

I can try and help you out with dimensions and wot not if you need it but it might be best to wait until I've finished mine to make sure that it works

Cheers
Stu
Old 10-04-2013, 03:22 PM

5inchman is on a distinguished road

Stu

Amongst other small jobs on the Bridgeport I have cut the gears for my 3" Burrell traction engine, I'm currently doing some trials on cutting the spline for the crankshaftnot without some problems like cutter coming loose in FC3 holder

I hope the pics are of reasonable quality

5"
Old 10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
Wannabe

Wow that's some engineering right there! I don't think you going to need my help!
Where are you located? looks like a Union Jack in the background?

Stu