RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 PM

Jakyat is on a distinguished road
Default KW c500 double set back tandem tandem 8X8 help

Hello all!

Reaching out today guys, looking for help with drive train. I'm getting geared up for my first rc truck build. I have built crawlers and I have custom built scale truck kits (non r/c), however this is a new adventure, mainly cause I want to start out, first build, right out of the box, with modifications..I am waiting for the shipment of a king hauler (any day now!) and I have also ordered 35" frame rails.
This is the plan
http://www.google.ca/search?q=double...-E02sbBKzTM%3A

Hope that worked!
I want to start with the chassis,(obviously)
What. Is everyone's opinions on the rc4wd Blackwell axles?
In every ones opinion, which would be the best axle kits for the 8x8 build?
I see the axle kits on brimn, opinions?
Front suspension opinions for twin steer double set back?
Rear suspension opinions?
Transfer case opinions?

Should I completely build the king hauler to stock before I start with a mod, just because I've never built one?

Thank you in advance for opinions
Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KW c500 double set back tandem tandem 8X8 help

Reading through Tim's thread would be a great start for ideas! http://rctruckandconstruction.com/showthread.php?t=390
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:53 AM

Thank you Neil, and Tim
I went through that thread last night. Interesting! Will definitely be a good resource when I get to the suspension /steering part of my build.
Hats off to you Tim, if youre listening, nice build. Must of taken a long time, and a good banker to build that rig. I was not aware that the road trains had auxiliary drive in the trailer(s). Makes sense though.
I'm still stuck on which axle kits would be best for my application. Like I mentioned, I would like my truck to be 8x8. Which ever way I go, I need to place an order soon. My truck and frame rails will be here any day now.
These are one option:
http://www.rcbrmin.com/8×8-drive-ax...ml?cPath=66_67
What opinions are out there on these? Look like a direct fit into the tamiya line up.
Can any one tell me where the best place to order these. I thought I seen them on eBay once, but I can't find them on there again. I could order them right from the rc brmin site I suppose.
This is my other option:
http://store.rc4wd.com/Blackwell-X1-...xle_p_451.html
These are cool, but expensive. They lookalike they would be challenging to mount.
Does anyone have any experience with either of these two?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 AM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...read.php?t=128
Here is a thread explaining Axle options without breaking the bank. There are grear reduction and transfer case options in the thread also. I think building a stock king hauler kit to figure out how everything generaly fits together and then take it apart and start working with a fresh frame is the best way to aproach it. Make a build thread in the truck section so all of us can see your hard work and we can help you!
Something like this?

Happy building and have fun using the awesome resources the forums have
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 AM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

I got the Blackwell axles and took them apart... a solid axle with no differential. Not a good choice for your bed trk, you'll chew driveshafts & transfer cases.

The rcbrim axles look like a good fit for your needs & are servo lockable via a cable. RC4wd now has them stock again (atleast a few weeks ago they did). I got these axles in the same order.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Semi-Tr...ue_p_3791.html

Apparently there is stronger version yet, though I don't know from experience or the grapevine if it warrants the 2,5x the cost... but maybe getting one for the front diff of rear tandems b/c that will be the most abused axle for putting power to the ground.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Armageddon-8x...ff_p_3839.html

Joe
Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Green Horn

crawler07 is on a distinguished road

Both those axles Lil Giants posted are awesome and would be great, but do they steer? the blackwells come in a steerable as well as a straight.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:58 PM

image.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Jo View Post
http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...read.php?t=128
Here is a thread explaining Axle options without breaking the bank. There are grear reduction and transfer case options in the thread also. I think building a stock king hauler kit to figure out how everything generaly fits together and then take it apart and start working with a fresh frame is the best way to aproach it. Make a build thread in the truck section so all of us can see your hard work and we can help you!
Something like this?

Happy building and have fun using the awesome resources the forums have
Yes. Very much like that one. I am working on it. Still aquiring components. Not sure how to post my build pics. I've got a good start on cab mods. Recently received an order from wtb car and another from brmin. Brmin is fast with delivery. One week. I'm already into this thing for $1700.00. Ouch!!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 PM

topher1266 is on a distinguished road

I know WTB car, but Brmin I don't know about. Would you elaborate please. Topher
Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Jakyat,

Here's a link to posting pictures, also read the link in the first post!
Have fun, looking forward to seeing your progress on this build, I like these trucks and have had one on the build list for awhile!

http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ead.php?t=7813
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher1266 View Post
I know WTB car, but Brmin I don't know about. Would you elaborate please. Topher
Try this link. There website is tricky finding. I've had three deliveries to northern Alberta Canada and all came within 10 days of ordering.

http://www.rcbrmin.com/
Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM

heavybed is on a distinguished road

I used the RC4WD YotaII axles as I found the had a smaller pumkin and are all still case aluminum. I find the work great on my 10x10 and the are still set up for leaf springs.
wayne
Old 01-02-2015, 09:26 PM

Happy new year to All!! I havent been around for quite some time. I have been busy with my build again. I had put it to rest over the summer. Anyways, check out the following link for updated pics. Ran in to a couple of set backs with the winch. Tried a couple different things without success. I want this winch to pull 40 lbs minimum. Everything else is working out well. Lots of detail work to go.
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Jakyat/library/
Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Jakyat, this truck is looking incredible! Try the IMG link, just copy it and paste it in your post. Anyway just keep posting pics!

Last edited by TRUCKMAKER; 01-02-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 AM

Thank you. I really appreciate you posting that pic. I am still trying to figure put how to do that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157 Bytes, 636 views)
Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 PM

It is coming together nicely. I did run into a few minor setbacks with the main winch. My first attempt involved a separate brushless/esc set up running through a series of gears/shafts and miniature drive chain/sprockets....to a crawler transmission for the final drive. Once it was complete, I kept on breaking the drive chain. I then made a module using a 42 oz continuous rotation servo with a 24 tooth servo gear as a pinion, along with a 48 tooth gear mounted on the end of the winch drum as the spur gear. This worked but wasn't ideal because in order to place the servo in between the frame rails, the winch drum wasn't perfectly centered on the chassis, and the winch didn't pull as hard as I wanted it to. I am wanting at least 40lbs of pull. I feel that the 42 oz servo set up was pulling around 5-6 lbs. I have just recently modified the module and winch drum to accept 2 drive servos. I have ordered 2, 486 oz servos from servo city. I have customized the order by having them modify theses servos to continuous rotation. I have also ordered a servo programmer so I can reverse the direction on one of them, and I can perfectly synchronize the servo speeds for the purpose of driving the winch drum equally.
This unit has 10 servos and a total of 11 different functions including the selectable lockers front and rear. I am using a spectrum 18 channel to control everything.I have test drove and all seems to be fine. I will post a link to video once I am ready. very challenging build for a first timer, but I am enjoying the challenge.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Green Horn

Trucker_Jo is on a distinguished road

Wow VERY impressive from my last post in this thread pointing you in the right direction to now having an almost complete build. Meanwhile I haven't done too much with my build. Anyways great job, im curious as to see how well your winch ends up working. Im building a swing yarder so the information could come quite in handy
Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker_Jo View Post
Wow VERY impressive from my last post in this thread pointing you in the right direction to now having an almost complete build. Meanwhile I haven't done too much with my build. Anyways great job, im curious as to see how well your winch ends up working. Im building a swing yarder so the information could come quite in handy

Hello again, and thank you once again. I sure am glad i found this forum. I learned lots from guys like yourself.
I am expecting my servos this week. I am ready for them so should be testing the winch soon. I will keep you posted. I am confident in the set up now. Tuff!!! Should pull as hard as i will ever need it too. dont think i wanna carry much more than 20-25lbs on the roll. Maybe 😁😁😁
Old 01-11-2015, 01:47 PM

This is a video of first trial run of my heavily modified king hauler converted to a kenworth C500 double set back 8X8 bed truck. These trucks in real life are capable of picking and carrying upwards of 100,000lbs+. The 1:1 of this particular truck would be roughly 360" wheelbase and would be comfortably capable of 70,000-80,000lbs. Later in the build,I will have the ginpoles complete and operational and should be able to hoist upwards of 15lbs. The test block that I am bedloading in this video and the truck both weigh about 25 lbs.

http://youtu.be/zYom5Tb1pNU
Old 01-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Nice work Jakyat, seems everything works quite well!