RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of
Unhappy My big expensive disappointment

Well I received my new container trailer and to tell the truth it is a big letdown not to mention overpriced for as cheap as Tamiya went with some of the parts. A pic of the box and it's contents.

First the vacuum formed and really thin side panels. Approximately .035in thick. I would have thought for the price the sides would have been injection molded like the cabs and thicker. Here are some pics.

And here is how you are supposed to assemble the sides and top and then paint.

They went the cheap route and sent plastic bushings. For what we do with the trucks and trailers their is no need for bearings they don't add much other than cost but that is my personal choice but they could have at least included the normal oil lite bushings which I got to day at the hobby shop for $4 enough to do all 3 axles.

They also did away with the splined metal hex drives and used pin drive axles with plastic hexes which I here they did on the refer trailer as well, but I guess it was another way to save some cost.

But with some changes such as dual wheels instead of the super singles, a different rear bumper and loosing the side skirt boards it will look much better. I am also thinking of making new side panel's.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Admin RIP FGD 2-12-59/12-19-11

FreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the roughFreddyGearDrive is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: My big expensive disappointment

Travis I've built two reefers & they had splinded axles.But they did have them plastic bearings.Other than that the reefer is built pretty good.
FGD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

I would of thought the top/bottom and sides would of been one piece panels instead of two piece panels and thicker just and why would you put plastic bushings in a trailer when you have metal ones in a truck another let down for another expensive kit that keeps sucking your model funds that could of gone on another project they probably think no one will notice the cheap swap.
Anyway there is still alot of potential for this kit with a little make over
Keep us posted on the build ever step of the way

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM

d.k.v is on a distinguished road

How thick is the plastic for the sides?

I think it wouldnt be to hard to build the trailer out of aluminum as well as the container so you could have scale 53 foot containers

Last edited by d.k.v; 05-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 PM

will43209 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the sides would've been made out of aluminum, more like the real ones. Well, I'll put this on my "not to buy" list.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
First the vacuum formed and really thin side panels. Approximately .035in thick. I would have thought for the price the sides would have been injection molded like the cabs and thicker. Here are some pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.k.v View Post
How thick is the plastic for the sides?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Out of control

A couple more pics.

Thanks for looking.
Travis

Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM

d.k.v is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
Oops was busy looking at the pictures
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Journeyman

MACK Daddy is an unknown quantity at this point

That blows.. thanks for the review...

I was kinda looking forward to this trailer

Alfy
Old 05-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Travis

I will not wast my cash on one of these.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Green Horn

Location: Up a hill above the dirty Ohio river on the Indiana side.
rcguyfarms is on a distinguished road

I don't see the container holding up to much movement from a loader or crane. The discontinued wedico container boxes where thick metal at least. I wonder if the bruder containers will fit the trailer with some modification.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 PM

A32Limited is on a distinguished road

I bet if they didn't get the Maersk logo on it, it'd either be half the price, or built better...since Maersk is apparently a celebrity company now, after the run-in with pirates on the Alabama.

I am kinda sorry to see that they cheaped out on the materials for the container...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Zimms Customs

I have a couple of Bruders that I am making a trailer especially for them. I will post some pics in the next few days. Do you want some measurements of the boxes? Well, here they are:

Length: 13 7/8"
Width: 7"
Height: 6 7/8"
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM
Out of control

Thanks Matt the rest of the container is metal and looks like it will be fairly solid so I think some better panels will be the biggest thing to make it a better container.

Travis

Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Wannabe

mazdaparts will become famous soon enoughmazdaparts will become famous soon enough

On the plus side it looks like the side panels make a nifty parts/tool tray.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazdaparts View Post
On the plus side it looks like the side panels make a nifty parts/tool tray.
Yes they do. I also use muffin pans that I buy at thrift stores usually around a $1 apiece and you get compartments to sort stuff out but these days I just throw it all in one pan and go to town.

Travis

Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Zimms Customs

Here is what my Bruder container looks like on a frame, yes it has the Bruder wheels, but once it is all painted, who needs anything fancy for a container trailer? The Bruder wheels do have some play in them, they have sufficient articulation to meet the need.

I have a 2nd container, I will be putting real Tamiya axles and wheels with this one.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 PM

aussietruckerguy is on a distinguished road

thanks for the review. I was looking at getting one of those, but after working around containers all day long, can see a lot of issues and cheap ways tamiya foobied them. It sucks because there 1:48 scale kits are normally right on the money.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm aluminum sides someday

Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Green Horn

Trucker Al is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,
Give Tamiya a break. I am about 80% done with my build. Overall, this trailer is done very well. Yes, the vacuform panels are a pain but they look very nice when joined and painted and it makes the trailer a lot lighter. The kit goes together well and I am having a ball with it. Pictures to come.. Tamiya has to cut corners as we all do in this economy. I don't want Tamiya to go out of business.
The only problem I had is with the decals. They are very hard to put on without wrinkling. On my trailer, one side is just about perfect but the other side is unacceptable to me. I will have to get another decal sheet and a new side panel to make it right. Tip: On the large MAERSK logo label, stick the center down first and work the decal to both sides and the letters, the R and S need to be cut in the appropriate places so it won't wrinkle. Start the A in the center too. I guess panel 1 was my practice piece.
Well, back to work.

Alan