RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction Companies & Worksites

Old 12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Dane excavating co.

My setup for rims

And this is how they assemble

Old 12-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I wish I could whistle through the keyboard sometimes. Nice work. I asked my father in-law to build me a larger hole filled plate but I think he forgot. I haven't used this one for a while but it does come in handy. Making tooling for a one time use sucks but cutting corners and F-ing up parts that are 99% done sucks more. Great job on the wheels. Now hurry the F up and get onto the next part... Oh, I have that other toy now. When are you getting one?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Journeyman

Mikem is on a distinguished road

You got the Hayes !
Old 12-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Nicely done, looks great!! Some parts of a build take far more time and effort than what we first thought and this type of milling takes time and you really need to be on your game with the rotary table...keep up the good work!!
Old 12-05-2015, 10:26 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Reg, I think these wheel things are more work than making the tracks for the dozer!! At least I could day dream while cracking the handles on those parts!!

Dads, yeah,,, this wasn't the idea I had in mind at first!! Oh it will be simple, spin some wheels, make the hubs,, though the hard part would be threading for 2/56 bolts!!! Like I said above, and you are correct, the tedious cuts with the rotary table have got my jaws hurting from grinding my teeth. Only have two more rims to cut with the table. One bad thing is I think the top spindle bearing is loose or going bad in my mill!! Gonna let it cool down and hopefully tomorrow I can cut the other two before having to tear into that. Just don't want to have set up again. Doesn't feel loose but making a rhythmic noise. If I remember correct one of the gears is plastic. I never have been happy with the bearings from the start, after breaking it in I tore it apart again because they just didn't sound right,,,,even called grizzley and remarked that something may be bad with them but that was two years ago. I wouldn't think bearings would go in less than three years on just alum work. ,,,,, yeah just rambling on , taking a break from not breathing while using the rotary table and keep thinking a little more,,, hoping the endmill doesn't bite and climb up the part!!
Old 12-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

No Mike, I didn't buy a Hayes. Think smaller with a lot less tires....

RW, yeah I feel your pain with things taking forever. When I made the diffs for my KW I was pretty stressed. With one completed my mill fried it's board so that added to the fun. Hopefully your bearing hangs in there. Once this hurdle is over there will be another and another and then it will be complete and you'll be bored and start something else that challenges you in a different way. It's a vicious circle for us scratch builder types.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:27 AM

headers is on a distinguished road

Nice job coop it's coming along very good
Old 12-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

http://youtu.be/rDgTk9kdX6Y

Couldn't hold the wheel with one hand and spin it. Had to mount it in the lathe. Back axle with tires is up to 25 pounds.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well good news, bearings in mill are fine. But the cheep plastic gear is got play around shaft/keyway. Teeth look good so it's fine but I may look up hoss machine and see what he did with replacing plastic gears. Smeared some more grease on gears and good to go (for now).
Old 12-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

The plastic gear is made that way to be sacrificial!! They do it that way in case of a jam up in the machine you loose a couple of teeth, and that's all. If Grizzly can supply you with new ones, I'd suggest you get a couple of spares as you are lucky after three years and it's still there. And If it's a loose as you say, it won't there much longer!!
Rob
Old 12-06-2015, 04:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks rob, I'll be ordering a couple tonight. What do you recommend about the bearings? As far a maintaining them? Tear down every year to re grease? I know when I got it I had it completely apart, to finish building it that the factories don't do. I used a specific bearing grease, don't know where it got to I haven't taken it apart since last year. But haven't had much use on it up till now.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

hey Cooper if you by chance have the Grizzly Mill that is the same as the Seig X2 . The have stated that those gears get chewed up as time/use passes, I have a Sieg X2 and did the little machine shop belt conversion to elimate that problem. Jut a thought. Steamer is correct they made it with those gears so they tear up before the machine.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Journeyman

steamer will become famous soon enoughsteamer will become famous soon enough

If I got the right machine as yours from Grizzly the main spindle bearings are 6206-2RS. The 2RS means the bearings are sealed for life and don't require any more grease. I too have had problems with off shore bearings and they tend to be noisy. One thing to watch for is side load! if you had the spindle apart when you got the machine, you may have put some on when you put it back together without knowing it. Tapered rollers need preload when going together but not ball bearing. The reason ball bearings don't last long in a mill is, if your milling it's a top load on the bearing but drilling is a side load and that wears them out quicker.
Rob
Old 12-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the info on the mill, have to order a couple of those gears. Once I move this spring I may convert to cnc.

I started on frame. Going to get it roughed in first. I may have to make the center mount for the A arm of axle a bit more forward on account of length of motor. So waiting on that to get attachment points. Frame is made out of 1/2" x 1.75" alum.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

This will be interesting to watch take shape, can't wait to see how you're going to build yours....
KP
Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

My wife got a bunch of stickeybuns and I was told to not eat them all, sent her these messages

Then sent her this pic, saying he got them off the counter and ate them all!!

I don't know how she knew but she found out I framed the dog for eating the doughnuts and now she is wondering how much else he has been blamed for!! Lol!! Got sent to garage ! Again!!!

But all is good, aside from having a stomach ache. Got axle set up for locating shock and frame mounts. I really didn't want to mess with unbolting the vice but just had no way around it. I wanted to mill it bolted together so everything lines up when done. Had about an hour setting up. A lot of that time was trying to use the vice. Should have just unbolted it to start with, 10 min set up time after I did!!!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I know things look pretty chunky, once all the arts are fitted and I know they will work I will be trimming and adding detail. I've been putting off mounting the differential pinion shaft but decided better do it. The bearing protruded a bit from axle housing so I had a lot of set up time with the 4 jaw chuck. That piece is also connecting outer axles together and a frame will mount to it. I also wanted to make a bit of play for bearings. Would rather add some shims to get correct mesh of gears than have to mill some more out. Not fun on set up to do that. .
Old 12-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lookin good!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:47 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Looks real good you will have a hard time breaking that. Ed
Old 12-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Question for you guys, the differential I'm using has x number of teeth on pinion and x number on the big gear. Is that a reduction I should consider into wheel rpm? Like if pinion has 25 teeth and gear has 100 is that a 4:1 reduction? After thinking about this beast and weights wanting to haul, I may be putting motor under cab like 1:1 machines using the reduction gearbox same as the 1:1 machines. Gives me more room in front of axle. Yes over engineering this heavyweight. I've been crunching the numbers and just thought of the differential aspect, I did not figure that into the final rpm. I'll go and count teeth on differential pinion and spur gear and find out numbers. Thanks guys.