RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Tig welder to purchase.

Hey guys, I had to save enough money to pay off the wife and now have a green light to get a tig welder. (This matching funds thing sucks, but she thinks I'm buying a $100 welder,,,,so hope I don't leave this page open for her to find. . )

I have the capabilities to run 120/240v so that doesn't matter. I'm still figuring out mig on most of my projects but want the precision and ability to weld alum with a tig. I'm staying local with my purchase as a welder for me isn't something I want to skimp on. Miller/Hobart or Lincoln. I have my eye on the lincoln tig 200. Looks like it's good for beginners but has some features/adjustments for when I figure out what I'm doing.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric)

This is the one I'm looking at, price is fine with me. Hobart one is similar priced but not much options for adjusting settings. Verses the next level that will be up in the $2000-3000 range. I'm only wanting this for welding thin steel sheet, aluminum, some 1/8' steel, basically just for the hobby stuff. My question for you guys that weld (and know what your doing/ or know what all those settings do) is would I be making a wise purchase? Or would I be better off with the more expensive welders? I'm not trying to be cheep but realisticly if I need something welded that matters, like machinery or for work, I'm calling a professional. Input appreciated.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tig welder to purchase.

your link brings me to there main page not the machine in question.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:11 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Tig welder to purchase.

You r spot on go as high as you can 240 v is awesome in the long run and knowing you the demand will come very soon. You know how to push the limit Sir. i got this one http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...incolnElectric)
smooth as a baby a$$ K2535-1 " link stupid "

Last edited by Bo Wallen; 02-16-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

5126-1 Lincoln welder was the model I was looking at. Thanks Bo
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough

I have no experience with welding machines as the only stuff I did was at TAFE on tig and mig when I did a course but what I did with my models was a mix of both and different jobs asked for ether, tig came up best for most stuff but my teacher said if I buy one get a machine that was capable of both as they both have pros and cons and can be just as good after playing around with the different setting, and he also mentioned doing a long course that covers all aspects of welding.............

Cheers Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lightbulb Re: Tig welder to purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
5126-1 Lincoln welder was the model I was looking at. Thanks Bo
Well i think after watching what you are up to..........you might get disappointed
me thinking you need more "ump" like really soon.....I went from a Kempi PS 5000 similar to this http://www.cottandco.com/en/lots/kem...tig-welder-set I sold it when i left Sweden It sucks. But reg knows what you should get i think. "I did welding for SAAB Aircraft for years and still don't know all of it" "doing a long course that covers all aspects of welding"............That is a life time.

Last edited by Bo Wallen; 02-16-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:01 PM
Green Horn

mcl fabrication is on a distinguished road

I'm not a pro welder myself. But I own and use a Lincoln 140HD. I weld all my project with it. It works great leaves a clean weld, it can weld aluminum also.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind I know nothing, I'm not a welder, and I have no training. I started out with a Miller Diversion 165 TIG(inverter type). They no longer make it as it was upgraded to a 180 I think. It does AC/DC and welds really nice for a beginner machine. I started building headache racks for trucks and it was maxed out constantly to weld 3/16 so I started looking for a bigger welder. I came across a 3 month old Lincoln Precision 225 TIG for sale locally. The guy had it bought it for a job thinking there would be more jobs but there wasn't. Him and his GF were moving and he needed cash. It was literally brand new. I called the local Lincoln rep and asked him what it was worth first and then made the offer. I ended up getting it for $1000 less than retail and it came with a bottle on top of that. It is big heavy welder as it is a transformer type. It has a few options but nothing like a full blown pro welder. More than I need though. The diversion had more than enough stank to weld up toys. I built my boat, Euc and parts of my excavator with it. The 225 does have more power but I rarely use more than 120amps working on our stuff. Keep in mind that buying a larger one will let you weld heavier things and that may come in handy(wheels larger frame pieces ect). I wouldn't take that and go out to buy a 400amp welder though either.lol I have a couple of different torch heads. 150 amp that the machine came with and a 200 amp for larger stuff. Whatever you buy I'm sure you will be welding like a pro in no time. I'm not very good at it really so the only advice I can give is be patient and don't use too much heat!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Reality is you are probably accurate Bo, last time I was thinking about welders Lincoln had a nice ac/dc for 1600$ that one must have changed into the one I am looking at now. It doesn't sound too bad for the hobby. 60% duty cycle, I can run it on the higher voltage, price is nice. I just don't know enough about the settings I should be looking for in a welder that would apply to what I would be using it for. Like welding thin steel by just using the arc, how far into a 1/2" block of alum it will penetrate. How thin of alum I can weld ect. I just don't want to spend the initial funds to find out later you were spot on to start with. But on the other hand I know what I'm going to be using it for and don't want to spend more than I really need to. Most of the local guys I can talk to about tig/mig welding are working on machinery parts or production and don't really weld small stuff like what's used in our hobby. One guy I know welds a lot of stainless sheet metal used for commercial kitchens, know his stuff but never used any of the small welders, just big stuff in the 5-10k range. And it would be nice if I didn't need the hoist to move it !! Lol!! Thanks again for the input Bo!! Saab hu! Never really liked those cars!!! Haha just bustin on ya!!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Keep in mind I know nothing, I'm not a welder, and I have no training. I started out with a Miller Diversion 165 TIG(inverter type). They no longer make it as it was upgraded to a 180 I think. It does AC/DC and welds really nice for a beginner machine. I started building headache racks for trucks and it was maxed out constantly to weld 3/16 so I started looking for a bigger welder. I came across a 3 month old Lincoln Precision 225 TIG for sale locally. The guy had it bought it for a job thinking there would be more jobs but there wasn't. Him and his GF were moving and he needed cash. It was literally brand new. I called the local Lincoln rep and asked him what it was worth first and then made the offer. I ended up getting it for $1000 less than retail and it came with a bottle on top of that. It is big heavy welder as it is a transformer type. It has a few options but nothing like a full blown pro welder. More than I need though. The diversion had more than enough stank to weld up toys. I built my boat, Euc and parts of my excavator with it. The 225 does have more power but I rarely use more than 120amps working on our stuff. Keep in mind that buying a larger one will let you weld heavier things and that may come in handy(wheels larger frame pieces ect). I wouldn't take that and go out to buy a 400amp welder though either.lol I have a couple of different torch heads. 150 amp that the machine came with and a 200 amp for larger stuff. Whatever you buy I'm sure you will be welding like a pro in no time. I'm not very good at it really so the only advice I can give is be patient and don't use too much heat!
Thank reg, guess I'm going to keep looking a little bit
Old 02-17-2016, 05:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thumbs up Re: Tig welder to purchase.

A little stronger machine runs better on all the lower settings. As soon you reach max settings it starts to get funky like a small weak car going uphill struggle. you will newer need 500 amp but just a little bit more amp than you think. Like lathe and mills first size you think of is soon too small.
And Reg remember i got the PUP and i watch your welds.......you got some serious skills in that area too. RW what ever you decide ...do not rush in keep calm buckle up and you will be happy making new wonders we all can admire.

Last edited by Bo Wallen; 02-17-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lightbulb Re: Tig welder to purchase.

And if you got bored and need to hide for a while watch this guy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucFK...em-subs_digest He knows a thing or two........Its my source when i forgot what i was supposed to do. witch happens a lot
Old 02-17-2016, 09:50 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Something else I forgot to mention is that the transformer welders eat a lot of power. My 225 is rated to suck 60amps at full pop although I have never had it trip the 50amp breaker it runs on. I'm not sure what power you have in the garage but it is something else to think about. A good friend of mine that is a welder by trade swears by the Miller Dynasty series. They were just out of my price range when I got the Lincoln. Even if I were buying a new welder now I'm not sure I would buy one just because they are so adjustable. I prefer the KISS method.lol
Old 02-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok after trying to figure out what I need and what I can do without I'm taking your guys advise and thinking the Lincoln 225 would be a wiser choice. Reg, input power is no problem. I would like to be able to weld 1/2" parts together and by reading and listening it's all pointing towards what I was afraid of. A $2000+ welder!! Lol!! This is one of those pieces of equipment I know I can't skimp on and don't want to buy something only to realize I needed something else that I wish I bought originally. That's a heavy little bugger, was wanting something I can pick up and move. Hey I know I can weld up something!! Lol!! Thanks guys for pointing out reality.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hello Cooper may I suggest Eastwood Tig 200 welder. I have one it is 110 or 220 volt welds aluminum stainless or steel. I had a guy use it that welds stainless for a living and said for light stuff it works great on 110 volt I do not have 220. It has adjustments and recommended setting on a chart on it it about $ 729.99.00 and is on sail. Eastwood is a place foe car enthusiast that want to do the repair them selves. Ed

Last edited by JAMMER; 02-17-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I am surprised to see that the 225 is almost the same price in Canada as it was when I got mine a few years ago. I am really happy with this one but as I said before I do not have much experience. I can say that if you want to do 1/2" with it don't expect to make long passes. It's duty cycle at full pop is not very good and it will shut of with the thermal protection. It will however weld 3/16" or less very well. One thing I should buy is a flex head 150amp torch! I have one on the 200amp torch and it is nice but the body is too large for welding small stuff. It's a money pit just like all the rest of this stuff! It's expenses like this that some people don't think about when they question the cost of our hobby! To outfit and maintain a hobby level machine shop costs tens of thousands! Pretty cool what we can build with all of it though!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

When welding 1/2" pieces does the total girth of the part matter? Is it the heat dissipating into bigger parts that the more amps are need for? This is what I don't understand. Say I have a 1/2"-1/2" part vs a 3' long 1/2" part. Is the penetrating just in weld area or is it more for a bigger part takes more heat to matain welding penetration? Reason is most all the stuff I'm thinking of (that size) will be relative small parts but thick. Not fully understanding the mechanics of needed amperages. And just now realizing that the welder is one part and the heads/torches ect are another expense in tig welding. Like Bo said I don't want to find out I should have gotten a little bigger to start with. I did read somewhere the newer inverters are better for small stuff vs the older transformer types. But as with anything with self learning from the internet I'm trying to sort out what is good knowledge and ignorance. I'm on the ignorant side (just not knowing).
Money pit? Yes , need to have, no, right now I've got more money than brains! Lol!! Slowly changing that ratio
Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMER View Post
Hello Cooper may I suggest Eastwood Tig 200 welder. I have one it is 110 or 220 volt welds aluminum stainless or steel. I had a guy use it that welds stainless for a living and said for light stuff it works great on 110 volt I do not have 220. It has adjustments and recommended setting on a chart on it it about $ 729.99.00 and is on sail. Eastwood is a place foe car enthusiast that want to do the repair them selves. Ed
Thanks Ed, I'll look into that one also. (Great more things to look at . ) lol!!
Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Lightbulb Re: Tig welder to purchase.my'

I'm on the plane back to ct I will help you the best I can later this evening
Old 02-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

In my small level of experience Aluminum takes a lot of heat! I was welding some 1/2"x2"x14" plate to some pipe for our fish boat with the 225 and it would shut down just as the bead started to flow properly. I think if you are wanting to weld heavy stuff like that you either need to buy a 300amp+ welder or plan on doing a lot of preheating. Let the moths fly from your wallet and spend big my friend!lol