RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 02-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Claus is on a distinguished road
Default AWD, worth it or not?

Just wondering what everybody's thoughts are here, there have been countless trucks built and shown on this site but a small percentage of them are AWD. Even some of the Heavy Haulers, Pacifics, Hayes, Macks, etc around here are not AWD and I'm sure they pull fine.

I'm getting the itch to build a King Hauler again. On one hand I want AWD, better traction is never a bad thing on a truck (plus cool factor), on the other hand I'm liking the thought of keeping things simple.

I will say I did 8X8 on my Wedico Pete, I don't regret it but it came with it's fare share of challenges.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 AM
On Leave

Cossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the roughCossett is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: AWD, worth it or not?

If you cant decide on whether to or not build a rig with front diff lock so you have the best of both worlds for on road off road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

To me it depends upon how and where you are going to use the truck. If using it on dirt, AWD with locked diffs is a must for any truck. You need as much traction as you can get. If using it at Indy or any other site with the rubber and carpet, you should get by with just rear wheel drive.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Stuff is on a distinguished road

from my experience having both trucks there is pros and cons of each.

RWD single axle trucks are only good for on road applications. You can lock the rears but still only gets you so far. Best turning radius.

RWD tandem trucks go more places then singles, You can lock the front or both axles for more off road or sandy conditions and get some decent turning radius out of them.

AWD trucks go pretty much anywhere ground clearance will let them. Turning radius is not great on them however.

-TLT axles work good, so do highlift axles. Highlift axles stick out a hair more then TLT but easier to find and more upgrades. Also you can lock and unlock highlift axles with the grub screw that is a factory option. just requires the hex lining up through the sight hole and removing it. TLT's you have to take apart to lock and unlock.

regardless which axle, tamiya tundra highlift springs are the best to get them centered in the stock spring hanger locations.
Subscribe!!
My Facebook -
Old 03-01-2016, 01:19 AM
Snowman3725

How would you run awd in a king hauler with the stock trans? No front output shaft and no clearance to fit a drive shaft from the rear
Old 03-01-2016, 06:14 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
How would you run awd in a king hauler with the stock trans? No front output shaft and no clearance to fit a drive shaft from the rear
Not sure that I will stick with a stock Tamiya 3 Speed but there are ways to do that if a guy wants. Some people have lifted the transmission up on spacers and then ran a driveshaft to a divorced transfer case. I have seen where somebody had a new transmission shaft machined to drive off both ends. It all come down to creativity in the end.

Here is how the Late, Great Freedygeardrive did it;

Another idea:

Here is how Smallhaul Scott did his;

Of coarse a using different transmission would be easier, one with a built in transfer case. As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by Claus; 03-01-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Snowman3725

Very good stuff there, thanks. I see the tranny for a high lift f350 has front and rear outputs, but has a different mounting method. Maybe the cases are the same and I can swap them out, or make up some brackets
Old 03-02-2016, 08:00 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

This 6wd GL gets around great pulling a pup with all diffs open, of course the tires are a little bigger than stock, which helps I'm sure. I grafted a HiLift t-case on the back of a stock Tamiya 3spd. TLT front axle. Hand drilled the stock springs, which sit on top of the axel.

Joe
Old 03-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Snowman3725

Very cool. Are the cases for a highlift and KH the same?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:51 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

No, they're shaped differently.

Both these trks run the Wedico dual motor coupler with twin 12v Buehler motors. I was able to make an adapter so the stock semi trans would work, but the way the HiLift trans is made - no chance with that one.

Joe
Old 03-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Snowman3725

No Bueno. If you were going to make an awd rig with a 3 speed, how would you do it?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 03-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Snowman3725

What kind of trans is that in the picture second from
Last?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

That is an RC4WD 3 speed but way over priced your better of with a high lift trans or a stock 3 speed and and an axial trans for a transfercase which also gives you a 3:1 gear reduction. If your fine with just one gear use an RC4WD R2.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Snowman3725

Thanks, didn't know rd4wd made 3 speeds, just saw 2 and the auto cvt. I just picked up a high lift but the mounts are different. I'm probably going to use spacers to lift the trans up as much as I can to get some more clearance. The 2 flanges on the bottom of the stock 3 speed that hold the case together sit right in front of the front axle input shaft. What are your thoughts on adding a small servo shift 2 speed hi low trans to get 6 speeds?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Out of control

6 speed does have a cool facter but most of the truck shows dont have enough room to show it off that well. Since you have the high lift trans just make some mounts and use it. The highlift trans is a great trans with more gear options than the stock trans.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:13 PM
Snowman3725

I'm using a motor mounted 7:1 gru to really slow it down. 6 or even 9 speeds would be awesome, well worth the investment in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Snowman3725

Alright I've found a solution for anyone looking to get more than 3 gears and awd. RC4WD makes a 3 speed transfer case that I'm going to mount behind the stock tamiya trans and use a short driveshaft to connect the two. This should give me 9 gears using 2 3 way switches, just like the old twin stick in the real ones
Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
That is an RC4WD 3 speed but way over priced your better of with a high lift trans or a stock 3 speed and and an axial trans for a transfercase which also gives you a 3:1 gear reduction. If your fine with just one gear use an RC4WD R2.

I have a transmission I bought from RC4WD probably 4 years ago, I know they don't make it anymore but it is a two speed. I thought it was an R2, looks like this;

What is it if not an R2? I also have an R2 single speed, wide gear, HD version.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman3725 View Post
Thanks, didn't know rd4wd made 3 speeds, just saw 2 and the auto cvt. I just picked up a high lift but the mounts are different. I'm probably going to use spacers to lift the trans up as much as I can to get some more clearance. The 2 flanges on the bottom of the stock 3 speed that hold the case together sit right in front of the front axle input shaft. What are your thoughts on adding a small servo shift 2 speed hi low trans to get 6 speeds?

If you want away from those bolts holding the case together you can buy an aluminum case that replaces the plastic one. I have one of these, there is no bolts in it at all. $65.00 on the ole eBay.