RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM

mog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1/16 Bucyrus-Monighan Walking Dragline

your rigging is awsome there where no short cut's there your craftmanship is top noch. some day's i wish real rigging was done that nice and not just hack together.( CQMS) they should take a leson from you on how to build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Found a good deal on some brass sheet today. I wish I had bought all of my brass 6-7yrs ago. This stuff has gone thru the roof in past couple years. I think there's close to $800 in the boom alone and could have been at least half of that if bought sooner. I'll be working on the outer skin around the revolving frame soon. Lots of rivets to install.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

Is the structure of the house steel? If it is, how do you keep it from rusting? Heated shop? Around here it's so wet unprotected steel doesn't take long before rust starts to form.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Is the structure of the house steel? If it is, how do you keep it from rusting? Heated shop? Around here it's so wet unprotected steel doesn't take long before rust starts to form.
All steel. I'm fortunate to be able to keep it in my heated shop. It does get some rust now and then. I make sure to mist it down with WD-40 once and a while. I haven't decided to paint the steel or use tool black to blacken some of the parts. The interior may get painted green and battleship gray. I'm going to experiment with green patina on the house sheet metal since the 1:1 I'm modeling was green with black boom and frame. I'm hoping the black patina on the boom and frame will have some brownish look to it so it will look old rusted and weathered. The boom is already darkening on it's own after a year of use.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Apprentice

D8R is on a distinguished road

Agree about the brass prices, tried to locate some profiles, the manufactor wanted top $$. Guess it will never be much cheaper, chineses buys all they can.
Have started to stock up all material I need for coming models, always nice to have a supply at home!

$800 in the boom, and a lot of work to remove the better part of it, guess you have $600 milled off!
Dan
Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by D8R View Post
Agree about the brass prices, tried to locate some profiles, the manufactor wanted top $$. Guess it will never be much cheaper, chineses buys all they can.
Have started to stock up all material I need for coming models, always nice to have a supply at home!

$800 in the boom, and a lot of work to remove the better part of it, guess you have $600 milled off!
Dan
Your right about milling away a few dollars of metal Dan.
A lot of the store bought small profiles are just milled solid bar. I have other larger brass extrusions that I own the the die with my design but the mill will not produce the tiny thin walled extrusions any more. Way back when I was designing the "A" frame, I inquired about having one of the model brass suppliers sell me some 3/4'' "I" beams. They told me that they would mill them for me. Well since I have a milling machine, I just made my own and went with steel for strength. It is a very time consuming process. Set up in one to three vices on the table depending on the length,I milled one side then turned it over for the other. One big problem with milling one side is there's a lot of surface tension and the piece will bow considerably so I needed to make sure I hammered the part down flat in the vice on the long parallel. After the second side the beam flattened it's self out pretty well. Brass not so well but straightening it was easy. All in all, I think they took me about 2hrs per foot and wore out a few 5/8'' roughing endmills
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Any progress updates on the 9W? And I was wondering If you plan to build the walkway up the side of the boom. Looks like lots of small steps to make-
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
Any progress updates on the 9W? And I was wondering If you plan to build the walkway up the side of the boom. Looks like lots of small steps to make-
No progress right now Tom. I haven't been down East yet to get the measurements of the house and walking bearing supports. Hope to get there by May.
The walkway is another measurement needed and If I'm allowed to climb, I need the deflection sheave framing up near the top of the boom.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well, It's been 4 months since I did anything on the dragline and still haven't due to being busy with regular work and side jobs. But, I loaded it up or shall I say; walked it into my trailer this evening so I can take it down to Brownsville,PA to dig into some dirt at the show this weekend.
I can't wait to try some new techniques I've learned from reading and watching 1:1 draglines operating. I'll be trying out a new to me, Power Conditioner or Line Conditioner purchased from Evil Bay. This device is supposed to give me a clean regulated 115vac. Hopefully it will take care of any bad power line conditions like we encountered at the Cabin Fever Expo when my machine wouldn't work at all till the power in the building was fixed. I'll be taking an extra hoist cable encase the existing one fails. I noticed alot of areas where the wires are coming undone. It is the original hoist rope with approx. 15days of steady 8-10hrs digging on it. I wonder what the life expectancy of the 1:1 ropes are in similar conditions.
I'll also be trying the Tournarocker in real dirt for the first time. I had it out at the; ECMT meet in Brookville,PA and it did OK but I'm sure the one drive will quit working when a set screw backs out again. Just another small project that needs addressed in the driveline.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Had a great time digging in my dirt pile this past weekend with perfect weather. No problems, only production.

Digging in for a healthy bucket full.

A couple helpers who I trained to operate the dragline.

A nice pile from about 6-7hrs of steady digging.

One of my Old Caterpillar tractors we fool around with. This is a 1934 model Twenty - Eight with a very rare side seat arrangement pulling a Fifteen Trailer Patrol grader.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Craftsman

That,s a HUGE pile of dirt steve- dragline must have been working good. I was hoping to see some brass sheeting wrapped around the house but I guess not yet huh.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

Looks like you had about a ton of fun

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
Old 05-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman View Post
That,s a HUGE pile of dirt steve- dragline must have been working good. I was hoping to see some brass sheeting wrapped around the house but I guess not yet huh.
Not yet Tom. I still haven't been down East to get the measurements and kinda busy at work. The machine work flawlessly once I changed a jumper in the swing motor drive. Since the beginning, I had it set for "regenerate to stop" It always seemed to work very well until a slight adjustment change on the current limit and start/stop timing. I had one direction set perfectly but the other way it would glitch and jerk . Also I had the trim on the TX set one way some to keep the drive electrically centered.
Now while swinging either direction It's working smooth but it takes some practice to go from full speed to where you want to stop in a precise point,especially when the machine is not leveled very well as in my pictures. I had some trouble keeping it from sinking in the soft dirt I piled up first. Later I coated the top of the pile with some damper dirt to pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egronvold View Post
Looks like you had about a ton of fun
I would say that pile weighed at least a Ton
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Craftsman

Any work going on here steve?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

As a matter a fact, I was at the 1:1 machine "Jack" yesterday finally, and took about a hundred more pictures of details and several measurements. It was windy and it was a real pain trying to send the tape measure down the side to my helper hold on to paper and keep from dropping my camera. I climbed half way up the "A" frame to get some much needed measurements of the bolts and plates on the diagonal bracing. I didn't have the guts to go all the way up the "A" frame and definitely not up the boom walkway due to the wind.

Lots and lots of bolts and rivets to do.

I'm hoping to get this brace built for each walking shaft bearing this summer.

Been wanting this picture for years! Never could figure out the size and bolt spacing on these brackets.

This is why Jack isn't being used. This will take some serious fabrication to repair this

Here are the other big draglines at this pit. On the bottom is a Marion 7400 and up top is Jack's sister "Jill" We got there later in the day and the drags were being operated on the first shift so I didn't get any video.

I wish I could get a video of the blasting. I doubt I would be allowed to be there when that happens.

I saw this interesting rock. I think it's a petrified tree trunk

Last edited by 9W Monighan; 06-12-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM

RCKiwi is on a distinguished road

Great pictures! Is that broken section in Jack an I beam? Looks to have done a massive amount of work! Are they intending on fixing/saving him or will he go under the scrap mans torch?

Cheers
Old 06-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCKiwi View Post
Great pictures! Is that broken section in Jack an I beam? Looks to have done a massive amount of work! Are they intending on fixing/saving him or will he go under the scrap mans torch?

Cheers
I don't think he'll be scrapped. They recently bought some parts from a diesel 9W that was scrapped and I'm assuming when the time comes the necessary work will be done . There's not many 9W's left as far as I can tell.
I didn't look up inside to assess the internal damage. I do know the frame work is built up just like the exterior's riveted angle plate design. From what I can tell that metal must have been really cold or just so many years of compressing just cracked apart. The rails are very worn and metal is peening over the edges if you noticed in the picture. I talked about it to the owner and he just said it needed some rail work. That was before I saw the real damage. He didn't seem too concerned about how hard of a fix it would be.
I didn't get inside because I didn't have them unlock the door, but looking up through a manhole under the machine I noticed the main drive motor was removed and one of the giant brake bands was setting on a shoe.
I sure hope they're not cannibalizing the machine for parts but only borrowing some for the other machine while the component is being repaired.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Craftsman

Great pictures steve-I was looking thru the pics and thinking how good this ole boy was preserved until I got to the swing circle OUCH!! That's nasty looking! Good to here it will be repaired. The machine seems to be in good shape for it's age. Lot's of good diggin years left. Looks like you have enough info now for a lot of outside work.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I plugged some of the newly acquired dimensions into my master full size drawing of this machine and looks like I'm about as close to the real machine as I can get with my previous measurements and guesses.
I'll be starting the two outer walking shaft bearing towers first. I have some of it drawn up but need to do alot of detail work with the placement of the rivets and bolts.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Green Horn

Jared is on a distinguished road

That's a lot of bolts! But at least they've got nuts on them and won't need tapping. Looking forward to seeing more!