RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Gregg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My HEMTT build

Just for some reference as to what this will be pulling here's a couple of pics of 2 of my heaviest tanks

The Tiger on in the first pics is over 15# the Panther second is just under 13# so factor the Tractor, trailer and tank we should be close to about 35# fitted out.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Oh here's a pic of a really cool Marine version it is called the Mk48. It is articulated and the front section is driven aswell as the trailer by means of an articulating drive shaft from one unit to the second.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Oh here's a pic of a really cool Marine version it is called the Mk48. It is articulated and the front section is driven aswell as the trailer by means of an articulating drive shaft from one unit to the second.
The Marine's had a few in Subic Bay, Phillipines during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. I spent 6 month's active duty there.
I alway's wondered about tire wear on that version.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:28 AM

From what i am told the front wheels do steer on the drive unit. It is not just turned by articulation as the driving unit can be driven with out the trailer. they dont go far with them as you could understand they would not be all that stable.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey Greg, the front axle does steer and there is linkage that connect's to the articulation joint. They claim the trailer can be disconnected from the front or tractor, and drive around. I never did see it happen. I did see a marine turning the steering wheel, while stopped, that scrub's the front 4 tire's something fierce. I don't know if there's a way to lock the suspension out when bobtailing? A little bit of digging, maybe I can find a Tech manual for one.
Cheer's, Neil.

P.S. there is a strut for suspension lockout. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistics_Vehicle_System

Last edited by doodlebug; 01-26-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:57 AM

Thanks Neil. This was the version I originally wanted to build but I'm already chewing on a pretty big piece as it is. LOL. I will sometime in the future build myself one of these Mk48's. I just think there really cool.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I alway's thought they were neat, and an improvement on the older dragon wagon's.
Interesting, that they only get 2 mile's per gallon.
Cheer's, Neil.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Well the Mk48's use a specific Detriot turbo and supercharged engine. I can only imagine how awesome they must sound.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:23 PM

The Mk48's use a special Detroit turbo charged AND supercharged engine so I can only imagine how awesome they must sound.
I unfortunately haven't been feeling too well this week so haven't gotten much done.
I want to get back to it tonight and tomorrow. One thing I could really use is a good drawing with better dimensions and angle indications. The ones I find are to low of a resolution so I cant blow them up to see them well enough.

Last edited by Gregg; 01-28-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM

Made a little progress. i have worked out my suspension method that i am going to use and started mounting brackets and leaf springs to the differentials.
I also have my frame rails cur to length with the axle center lines marked.I plan to get the rear axels sets up to this point tomorrow and then complete the layout of all the holes needed in the frame rails. time for some drilling and tapping.
One darn thing I forgot to order when I got all my M3x.05 button head cap screws was nuts for them so i have been scrounging around up until now. Gonna have to get some ordered.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM

I hit a little snag that have been slowing things down some what. I have Wedico leaf springs but they are about 1 inch to short for the application i want to use. I asked in another post for the dimentions of the Tamiya leaf springs and they are exactly 1" longer. Perfect. Now i just need to find the Tamiya leaf springs and mounting brackets for them. Any one have an idea of where I could get these parts from, or have a good list of bag components so I can order the correct parts?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Journeyman

scalelover is on a distinguished road

Are you looking for the tamiya semi leafs or the HL leafs???

--Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 PM

I'm looking for the Tamiya Semi leaf springs. I have 4 all wheel drive axles so I need 8 complete springs. I do not know if one complete axle is considered a set or one side so I am just saying 8 complete springs.
For the moment the project is shelved partly because of the springs and partly because I have tanks I have to complete for our battle days with my club and the events at the Danville Armor Museum.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM

george is on a distinguished road

Hi

Thanks for posting your build so Far, keep the pics coming.

Any chance you could post a parts / supplier Source List ?

Thanks Again for the Pictures, Really Nice build, what again is your Motor/gearbox for this?

George
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM

I have the RC4WD single speed gear box and a drop down transfer case. I will be adding a doubler to use twin 540 motors.
I got some parts from PMD, Robbe and ebay basically thats it.
I will be using the simulated air ride suspension for the build as I think that will look and work the best , they are from russislouds Bone Yard.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking very nice, love the hermits.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM

crazy4yachts is on a distinguished road

I really like the HEMITT you are building it looks great, can you please tell me what type and where did you get those awesome tires and wheels if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks
crazy4yachts