RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's General Discussion. > General Discussion

General Discussion A place to post off topic discussions.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough
Default 55 turn still too fast!

Hi guys and girl. My current build is employing a 55 turn crawler motor with no reduction. It seems still too fast (did some bench testing with the battery to the motor direct). My last 2 builds used a PMD 4:1 and a RC4WD 4:1. I was told that the 55 turn was the way to go. Now I really don't have any room to put a reduction in this truck. Is there a different (slower) motor that I could get?? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Brian
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 55 turn still too fast!

Hey Brian, did you change the stock pinion to a 6th pinion?

Rob
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Brian in PA will become famous soon enoughBrian in PA will become famous soon enough

No, I think it is still stock.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

First off a smaller pinion such as a 6 tooth will help. I tried a 6 tooth and a 55 but it is still not as slow as a 4:1. Next if it is still to fast you can go to a 65 turn or a 75 turn with the smaller pinion. Are you planning to use an MFU or similar unit in this truck, if so I think you could still get by with an Integy 4:1 which would put the motor up over top of the servos with no modification.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 08-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhhstix View Post
First off a smaller pinion such as a 6 tooth will help. I tried a 6 tooth and a 55 but it is still not as slow as a 4:1. Next if it is still to fast you can go to a 65 turn or a 75 turn with the smaller pinion. Are you planning to use an MFU or similar unit in this truck, if so I think you could still get by with an Integy 4:1 which would put the motor up over top of the servos with no modification.

Travis
True-that!

Rob
Old 08-28-2011, 10:37 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Thanks Guys! Where would I find that integy unit at?

Brian
Old 08-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

brian I'd go with the integy box like travis stated ,thet're not expensive , but use a 55t or 65t unless you want it sllloooowwww like my 5900 which is 75t 3.9:1 integy w/stock pinion + tami 3 spd .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

You can order it directly from Integy or I know a guy who has a couple. Here is the part # C22726SILVER for some reason the silver one is half the price of the blue one but they are identical other than color. The package says 2.5 ratio but it has a second gear in it for 3.9:1.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road

hey guys ,
keep in mind , in case you are using a Tamiya MFU , the better choice is a gear-reduction and using a motor not much slower when like a 35 turn crawler motor ,
otherwise you are messing up the power-settings of the MFU unit , especially when you drive your truck without a trailer ( power-selector-switch in the 5th wheel )
For the guys been in Indy this year , my yellow Knigh Hauler is equipped with a 35 turn motor and a 5:1 reduction , which seamed to be just the right speed , even when driven in 3rd gear . And I also “timed” the 35 turn motor about 10 degrees fast , means I do have faster speeds in forward as in reverse.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

Thanks guys. I will be using the MFU.

Brian
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Green Horn

DieselKid is on a distinguished road

Brian,

After seeing and operating Travis' rigs at Indy I'm hooked on the Integy reduction he has mentioned! In fact I ordered 2 off the bay last night...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

-Alex
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Green Horn

SuperDutyScaler is on a distinguished road

i have a 65T and a 6tooth pinion and its still too fast. im saying up for a gear reduction now
Old 08-30-2011, 07:51 AM

Juganought is on a distinguished road

Have you guys taken weight into the account? I have both 55 and 65 with six tooth. I am assuming, after you load it with a trailer or other, this should slow it down some more. Front and rear wheels are loaded with lead amounting to approx, 3 to 4lbs.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road

To get a nice operating ( drivable ) truck there is now way around a gear-reduction .
Just lower RPM motors or limiting the power to the motor via endpoint-settings on the transmitters , adding weight and such is just cheating and you want be happy with it .
It would be like on a real car or truck in which you are trying to take of in the highest gear with only applying very little throttle . You don’t have power plus you sucking up the fuel .
The idea behind gear-reductions is not only the slower more powerful , plus much more efficient ( less current draw from the battery ) driving , but also the braking .
We saw this again this year at Indy , driving up and down the bridge , you could tell right away who had gear-reductions in his truck . A higher gear-ratio gives you also better braking .
As for the Tamiya drive-train based trucks , I used to use my self-made 55 turn motors
( way before the lathe-motors and crawler motors were available ) in combination with a self-made 3:1 gear-reduction . This resulted in a actual speed-reduction of about 6:1 ,
since a 55 turn motor creates about ½ the rpm as a stock 27 turn motor ( 8000 rpm vs 15000 rpm ) .
This type of reduction was just the right speed for the Tamiya 3 speed based trucks .
When Carson introduced there original ( plastic housing ) 4:1 reduction , that alone wasn’t enough , but a good start , even thought a lot of guys used them , some also with the combination of a 55 turn motor which gave you about a 8:1 speed reduction .
Back then , together with RIC from PMD , we created the stronger , aluminum casing , modified Carson gear-reduction and I made some changes to the gearing ( additional ball-bearings ) . This GRU is a nice choice if you don’t have the room inside the cab , but room in your frame .
Now with the introducing of the Tamiya MFU unit , the idea with the lower rpm motors doesn’t work so well anymore , since the MFU is tailored for a 27 turn motor and if used with a higher turn motor ( lower current draw ) the effects , down/up-shifting , sound-effects , drivability , just don’t work as good .
The choice here would be to stick with a 27 turn motor and do the speed reducing via gear-reduction only.
Since I never was a friend of these cheap Mabuchi motors , I went with 27turn motors in a modified motor-can ( adjustable brushes / timing and ball-bearings ) , either self-made , by using the guts out of a Mabuchi motor and installed in a modified motor-can or using the Orion 27 turn Rush series motors , which are now hard to come by .
Therefore I am using now the 35 turn Integy crawler motors with a 5:1 gear-reduction ,
which seams to be just the right speed .
Besides the ready to install gear-reductions from PMD or RC4WD , there are plenty of options these days to make up your own gear-reductions from air-plane gear-reductions ,
or gearboxes from crawlers and such .

Maybe we should make a “sticky” out of this , since I would have a bunch of info’s to contribute to this subject , including website links , since I have a bunch of these info’s cluttered all over my website and these questions about motor’s and gearing seam to keep popping up regularly.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Green Horn

SuperDutyScaler is on a distinguished road

that would be nice custom, i need a gear reduction but PMD isway too expensive. im picky so i want something that looks good, is strong, and wont kill me in price
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Green Horn

Bsorenson79 is on a distinguished road

I never used these but this might help you out.

http://store.rc4wd.com/search.asp?ke...=18&search.y=9
Old 09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I'd rather be truckin'

Update! I got the Integy GRU installed. It is a very nice piece and perfect for this application. it is also very affordable! Thanks for the tips!

Brian
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM

Juganought is on a distinguished road

Can we please see it action Brian....Please
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I'd rather be truckin'

As soon as my MFU and radio comes in I'll get a vid up.

Brian