RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Green Horn

Car5858 will become famous soon enoughCar5858 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Here Kitty Kitty...

I would remove the servos, and operate them without a load to compair the throw. You may not have both servos timed correctly and they may be fighting each other.

Just a thought
Old 08-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

just a ? Reg , did you try fiddling with your end points on the Tx ? it sounds like end point adjustment , Yes/no ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:02 PM

dirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura aboutdirtpusher9 has a spectacular aura about

WOW, very nice work.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I must have missed this thread and it looks like you can really work fast. You Tig weld very nicely. I have to mount cheaters inside my helmet now to see small welds. Can we see some close ups of the tracks and how you made the grousers?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

I stole Greg's(RCLogger) carpet rail idea for the track pads so I can't take any credit there, the only thing I did differently was weld nuts to the links instead of using K1 type chain. I've done a little more work to it in the last few days so when I take some more pictures I'll post them up. As far as my TIG skills... just when I think that I'm getting better someone lets a seagull into the shop but thanks for the vote of confidence! I've put in a few 8-9 hour days on it in the last 2 weeks so it has been coming along quickly.

Thanks

Last edited by RCP57; 08-19-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A few more pics. You can see the tracks a little better here. Welded on my guarding at 5:30 this morning. Time to build the dash, seat and controls. I'm holding out on finishing the undercarriage and lifting rams because once it drives without losing a track I won't make time for the small details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (91.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (47.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (48.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (41.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (37.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm posting a couple videos of the 955 in... well action I guess. It's the second time running it so the operator is a little rusty, at least the machine isn't. I installed a toggle switch down by the right track in an attempt to hide it more but when the track gets covered in dirt and you back up it shuts the machine off. I will be welding the hole up and moving the swich...http://youtu.be/lHR2pPX9Cos
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I have a question... when I push into or pick up something and stall the bucket servos the sabertooth goes into protection mode and the tracks won't move until I relieve the tension on whichever servos are stalling. Is there a way around that? When the tracks stop turning the only way you can relieve the bucket is by lifting the boom so it kinda sucks.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

doodlebug is on a distinguished road

Hey RCP57, how do you have your battery or battery's hooked up, do you have the reciever running off of a battery eliminator circuit? What kind of shape are your batteries in? Didn't Ben, Snowchaser have the same problem with his skidder? See post 122 on down in this link http://rctruckandconstruction.com/sh...hlight=skidder Don't know if I've helped any?
Great work so far! Try sitting behind or next to it for a while, when operating it. That's from operating 1:1 equipment, still have a hard time when the model's are facing me, LOL!
Later, Neil#2 aka doodlebug.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

Looks to me like it operates really nicely. Great work, yet another model I'd like to build in the near future.

I am going to guess you are drawing to much power from the servos and it's "resetting" your speed control. You will need higher voltage battery and/or an additional one to operate the servos, this may alleviate your problem, that would be my guess.

Ben
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

If your using the BEC on the speed control , it will not put out the needed amps the high torque sevos need . get yourself an external BEC . OTOH , the kitten looks great .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the info. If I plug a 6v batteery into the reciever in the batt/bind plug, do you think this will solve it or do I have to buy something else? I tried posting a couple more videos last night but they didn't completly load so they'll be up soon. Nothing to exciting though, just me doing the same thing...lookin like a spode!http://youtu.be/KrTU9iBcgq0
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Craftsman

Snochaser will become famous soon enoughSnochaser will become famous soon enough

I have done that with a 4v battery without success. I did switch from a 12v to 14 and that made a difference along with a BEC.

Ben
Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
Thanks for the info. If I plug a 6v batteery into the reciever in the batt/bind plug, do you think this will solve it or do I have to buy something else? I tried posting a couple more videos last night but they didn't completly load so they'll be up soon. Nothing to exciting though, just me doing the same thing...lookin like a spode!http://youtu.be/KrTU9iBcgq0
Yes you can use a separate battery to power the receiver and servos just remember to remove the red wire from the esc receiver plug to eliminate the bec circuit the esc supplies so you do not back feed the esc with power. You will also need a battery with a high Mah rating like 2500 or higher or you will still be in the same boat for ex a battery with a 800 Mah will only give you approximately .8 amps which will give you the same problem as before. A 2.4 receiver is very sensitive to Voltage drop so when you activate the servo under a load it will draw to much and the receiver will drop out causing the drive to quit and reset. Spectrum offers a capasitor to pug into the receiver in an open channel to help offset the voltage drop we had to use them on our race cars with the higher out put esc's when we punched the throttle on the start they would drop the voltage to far and the receiver would cut out. The capacitor would offset this and keep the receiver going till the battery recovered from the instant load.

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11
Old 08-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks for the input! I have a 5 cell 6 volt 4200mah hump pack with the reciever plug on it so I will give it a try and see what happens. The cap may be a better solution to my problem though because the screwdrive takes up a lot of space and I don't think there is much room for another battery. I don't understand why the esc on the screwdrive still works when the sabertooth resets? Maybe it is more like a woman... sensitive?

Thanks again for all the help. Reg
Old 08-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Fantastic craftsmanship, once again. It looks beautiful in it's raw state. I am enjoying your progress very much!
Old 08-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Green Horn

Vanisle is on a distinguished road

Wow, great work! No wonder you didn't buy my mill when you have the skills to do that by hand. Being able to tig weld (which I can't) really opens up some possibilities for assembly. Are you going to build something to go with it?

Richard
Old 08-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Wow, great work! No wonder you didn't buy my mill when you have the skills to do that by hand. Being able to tig weld (which I can't) really opens up some possibilities for assembly. Are you going to build something to go with it?
I wanted to buy your mill for sure but I thought it would have been sold until I saw it on used vic. Unfortunately for me I was away when you posted it there...

I already have my R18 to haul the dirt away so I have that covered but even "my better half" was asking me what was next just last night. I'm not sure though, I may build another fish boat... or an 850 KW logging truck... I probably should build something that makes money not costs it though.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

So I have a problem... I visited the local hobby shop today (over an hour away)with the intension of buying a BEC. I explained my situation with the sabertooth and was told my new 12v lead acid 5ah battery probably wasn't able to take the load so I was talked into connecting a 6v battery directly onto the +- wires for each servo leaving only the white wires attached to the reciever instead of running a BEC. When I do this and operate my boom(screwdrive) the bucket servos do not react properly in fact they just viberate in one spot until I stop moving the boom and then they go flying into position. If I plug the servos in as normal and plug the battery into the batt/bind slot everything works fine but I was advised against this because they thought the current draw from 4 high torque servos may melt my reciever. Any thoughts? I think I should have stuck with plan A. Using a seperate battery does solve the reset problem but I honestly think if I ran a BEC it would too. I feel that if my 12v battery wasn't up to snuff the screwdrive would slow down when the other stuff stops working but it doesn't miss a beat. I don't really have the space to run a second battery without fitment issues. What do you guys think? Do you think I am drawing too much power for a BEC to help?

Sorry for all the questions but I think you guys are more in tune with this than the local shop.

Thanks Reg

I need this thing to work properly for next weekend!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Plug the battery and the servos into the receiver it should be fine and it works that way. The bec will plug in and work the same way but you will be better off with a separate battery. The bec like Castle Creations say 10 amps but it will handle an instant amp draw of that but not a continuous and the continuous rating goes down the higher voltage you put into it. I had a similar issue with my 4WD cat tractor I was only trying to run one high torque 1/4 scale servo and Castle Creations bec would not do it but a good receiver battery would.

The CC BEC 10A Receiver Battery Eliminator by Castle Creations.

FEATURES: Eliminates the need for a receiver and servo battery pack
Draws higher voltage from the motor batteries and drops it to a
voltage level suitable for the receiver and servos

CC BEC receiver battery eliminator

SPECS: Length: 1.2" (30mm)
Width: .6" (15mm)
Height: .4" (10mm)
Weight: .4oz (11g)
Input voltage: 5V to 25.2V (2S to 6S Li Po)
Current output: 12 volts input = 7 amps* continuous, 10 amp peak;
24 volts input = 5 amps* continuous, 7 amp peak
*Ratings are determined with a 5mph airflow on the BEC
Selectable Output: 4.8 - 9.0V via the Castle Link
Default voltage is 5.1V

Travis

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11