RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Thank you!! I myself am still overwhelmed with how it is turning out!! I must have watched that video 30 times so far!! I keep watching the tracks, they need to get worn a bit more but they are laying like the full size dozers. My first attempt to video was just the pile of dirt with the d11 sitting on top. I soon realized that it does have limitations. Since the dirt pile was fresh and dozer sitting on top I had to do a lot of maneuvering. I soon realized that having a lot of loose dirt piled into the tracks was/is a bad idea. It resulted in about 30 min of picking packed dirt out of the track links. Some dirt is ok but I was turning and packing dirt into the links. Then the sprocket was compressing it more resulting in slippage. Lesson learned as it does have limitations. In the last couple days I have been removing one track shoe at a time and milling a little bit off the touge to gain the much needed 1.5-2mm of clearance between shoes. That has made a lot of difference in track arching. As in the video you can see it is laying quite flat on the top rollers. A stiffer tensioning spring would be a bennifit too. Still amazed of myself in building something like this!!! Once the windows, decals, lights, sound and paint in cylinders this will be a second look at realism (In my eyes). The way it reacts and works seemed to resemble full size machines, do you all think? I've been around equipment all life but not big stuff.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

Since you said the shoes are filling up with dirt because it's damp, and I know it would be a ton of work, maybe mill the cleats on the shoes with a slight taper both sides with a small radius at the bottom. This will help the dirt from packing in there giving a relief.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I also found some bolts loosened up. Probably settling in the paint, have to go and check all of them, mostly on the carrier wheels. And somewhere I read not to use bearings on tracks. That made sense to me but I thought I could get by with small bearings inside the wheels. Possibly too small, they are 5/16 od , 3/16 id. They have been compromised. So I just ordered some bushings from McMaster. Bronze bushings with stainless or brass shafts should hold up well I think. I'm realizing that there is a lot of stress on the tracks.

9w, on the tracks it seams like taking some more material off the lip of the shoes has done the trick on the dirt packing I between shoes. Having just enough room to have dirt be able to escape and not being packed in. But the river dirt is a sand and silt type, that may pack in there as it is kinda like clay. And as long as I'm not turning sharp in the loam to where dirt covers the track links I haven't had that problem of the dirt packing into the links covering the track pins then having the sprocket compress even more resulting in slippage. I think I'm on the downward side of getting the little things fixed to make this a pretty reliable machine. The wife couldn't believe I leveled all the dirt out with that little toy I built!! Oh and still on the opinion I'm not going to make that into a man size sandbox,, more time and she will eventually give up or in
Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-that is a nice video. You have done a great job in a short amount of time. I am not putting your model down but I must say with that HUGE BLADE on there, you cannot push even a half-blade of dirt without the tracks spinning. Is the model too light? What does it weigh? Maybe you need about 10-20lbs. of ballast. (just guessing). Have you watched D9 joe's videos. I think he is the best operator I have seen and I believe it was he who mentioned something that may be helpful. It looks like dirt is sticking to your blade so the suggestion was to sand the gloss off the paint to make the blade slippery and get the dirt rolling up the blade and falling forward. This might help push more dirt. You could just wear the paint off but that will take a long time so I would probably try the sanding.The model looks great and you should be very proud and I am sure with time you will work everything out.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes I agree with the blade being big, it was modeled after the old coal mine I use to visit, they had a huge dozer with a large carry blade. I also think the lack of traction was how soft the dirt was. If I were to step in the dirt I would have sunk about 4 inches. I lightly dumped that load with our backhoe. Thought was to keep it light and uncompressed. I doubt the weight is an issue, weighing in at 84lbs with one battery. And down at our Riverlot (in previous videos) it is riddled with roots that stop and snag the blade. But this is the first time I've done anything like this so I'll look into where I could add weight if you think it will help. Only problem is it's pretty well balanced and it's gonna be hard to get some more weight say 5#s front and 5#s back. And I will try very hard to get that paint off the blade . Thanks so much for the advise!! I'm still tickled that it turns!!! (Turns on!!! Lol!!)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oops, not 84pounds , seventy four (74)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Had me worried about the blade so I did a double check, 1:1 blade is 20'10" and my 1:14 scale comes out to 20'5". Looking at my skid plates I think I can hide/add some weight in them. Ahhh,,, another thing to add to the list,,lol!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Bo Wallen is on a distinguished road

Hi Cooper
You have created one great machine for sure. I was a operator in a d10 for two years, and that dozer had a huge blade mounted on. I added a concrete block mounted on the ripper and tilted the blade backwards and when it started to fill up with dirt I lifted the blade slightly to don't dip down, the extra counter weight in the rear made the entire track surface stay in touch with the ground and ad traction. Your machine seems to have a lot of power so I think you can try to hang a weight temporary on the rear and see what happens.
Cool video
Old 05-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

The 1/1 D11 is 230,581 pounds So you can ad more weight 10-14 LBS maybe
Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

9W Monighan will become famous soon enough9W Monighan will become famous soon enough

I watched your video and it seems to me that your blade being a carry blade cannot lay back far enough to get a full load. It's acting more like a straight blade. Think of a wood plane slicing off a chip. Your blade can't penetrate into the dirt at the steep angle it's at now. Well the dirt is wet and loose like you said. Maybe if your push arms were longer a tad to give the blade more room to lay back between the radiator grill. Or change the cutting edge to a lower angle. It would be interesting to see it in some dryer material not sand.
I had to play around with my tooth angle on my dragline bucket to get better penetration and get a full bucket.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Apprentice

speedy8305 is on a distinguished road

In my opinion if you were to lengthen the pivot arms of the blade that would give it more of a tilt like the 1:1 model
Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I went and pulled the bearings out of wheels and replaced with bronze/graphite bushings on stainless shafts. 4 of the 8 bearings were already shot. And finished re-milling the lip profile on track shoes. Put everything back together and charged a battery for some pushing. At about 15 min into it she had a snap and no hydraulics. Found the hose going to blade had bubbled and burst. Yes, oil everywhere. Guess that blue hose isn't as strong as the black. I wasn't sure what the specs were for it but I will be replacing it as I now have plenty of the black higher pressur line. Still trying to find a way to add weight. Question for you guys, I can hide a lot of weight in the blade but that will not help traction as blade will be on the ground, right?? And after looking and comparing blades I see what steep angle I have on the blade. I wasn't completely happy with the blade so just enough excuse to make a new one!! (Just not sure how soon). But I will study the cutting edge angle and place profiles more to come close to functionality of the 1:1. I'll try and post some pics of the hose blow-out.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I think I can modify the blade by adding a new cutting edge. It is rather a steep angle, but I think by adding another cutting edge I will be able to get a better angle without making the blade higher. And it seems to be able to blend in with the curvature of the blade. Almost is like I screwed up to start with by making such a steep angle on the cutting edge originally. I think I was more so comparing in my mind to a snow plow blade. By creating a shallower angle on the cutting edge does that pull the blade down resulting in the machine acting as it has more front end weight? Obliviously I don't know the engineering of blade mechanics but that would make sense to me on these big machines made to carry large piles of dirt.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

And I'm not sure where I could hide 10 pounds. Maybe 4-5 in the front skid plate by modifying it and welding on some heavy plate steel. From the videos it looks to me it needs more front end weight. Before I weld anything to the front skid plate I'm going to work on the blade modifications and see how it reacts to that.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Green Horn

avel is on a distinguished road

Makes sense, but are the hydraulics up to the task of pushing back to transfer the weight onto the tracks?

For extra weight I purchased some lead from the scrap yard/metal recycling place, you could try that. Although I can't imagine carrying that dozer around with how much it weights already.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

I'm pretty sure the hydraulics will be able to handle the added weight. And yes she is heavy to carry from garage to backyard!! Like modelman said I think the issue lies with blade geometry. I'm going to try that first. I know she isn't under powered. Just need to get her hooking up right
Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

did you get oil-lite bushings or straight bronze ? Oil-lite is what you want . As for the blade , from what I can see , the whole thing is tilted too much to the front . Looks to me like it needs to come back so it just about touches the cylinders . right now it looks like your corners are doing all the work and the middle is gliding along . Another thing to remember the coal blade will carry more volume to weight in coal then soil . Meaning , soil is much heavier then coal .

looks great , speed looks good . More inspiration to get my TD40 goin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Yes on the bushings. I actually got the ones impregnated with graphite instead of oil. Figured dry is better. And have looked into trying to get as much backward tilt by possibly moving tilt arms back or drilling new holes for the pins.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

Love how it turned out.....I agree that if you can get the angle of the blade tilted back farther it should be able to take bigger bites of dirt. This will also help with traction as the farther the dirt moves up the blade the more weight is put on the tracks.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey
Your local building supplier might have lead flashing rolls and you can cut strips or any sizes you like with your shear. I just got 17 lbs. for $ 2.52/lbs.
Just one idea.
Bo