RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment

Construction Equipment If it digs, pushes, hauls dirt "off road" post it here.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:49 PM

motocrawler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First build ,cat D11

Could you tell me where you got the motors and chain from? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road

Motors and chain, sprockets too. I didn't shop around for price that much. I don't know if that was a good buy or not. Didn't look too bad I thought. http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...-218-1003.html
And thanks for the complements. I knew going into this a lot of work lay ahead. I didn't realize how much the detail work would involve. But it's fun-at least the tracks were fun,,, for about the first 5, then it got boaring.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok so now I know some things should be kept scale and some things can be cheated on. As I said before the stock I had on hand was about a 1/4" not tall enough for the main track carrier. And I skimped on the brass for the rollers. Between the two it really shows when both come together. . As you can see a lot of daylight between the two. If I had the rollers 1-1/8" and had the track body extend down another 1/4" things would be looking a lot better. I do have room to make the rollers a 1/8" on each side increasing diameter 1/4" for future tweaks. (Might even make them with the acetal instead of dropping the coin on the brass). As I said before this is my first build in something like this and a bit on the learning curve. I'm just not too efficient in guesstimating scale realism for purchasing stock. Once it affects the wallet I learn real quick!!!! Lol!! (Don't we all?) on the flip side the dozer blade arms will hide it all,, lol,,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Craftsman

modelman is on a distinguished road

Cooper-since you are not building a scale model, don't worry about the small details. If you hadn't mentioned the small rollers I probably wouldn't have noticed. I think the grousers (being thick and tall) looks worse than the small rollers. But that's just me. Everyone has an opinion. Make the model to please YOU. Since you will spend hundreds of hours over this model you will know every little mistake that is made. Most people won't notice. I always said to look at a machine from a side-view and pick out a few features that stand out and try to make the model accurate to these features and you will have a good looking model. But remember, a model that looks great but doesn't work is useless. Try to make something that looks good but works GREAT!! You are doing good, keep at it.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Hey model man, thanks for the input. I agree with you about the final outcome to be a workhorse not a showpiece. What I'll be happy with in the end is if someone can just recognize it as being a larger d series cat dozer. If I can accomplish a realism to a d11 by say someone like my wife I'm right where I want to be!! (Although I would show her a pic of a d11 and a d3 , hopefully she sees it!!!! But yes I'm striving for a workhorse. Going to be used to build and maintain our 1/14 scale short course trophy truck racetrack in between races. Down at our Riverlot it started out as me and the neighbor playing in the sand by river-- that morphed into about 10 of us having several races per weekend and a full racetrack with guide rails, berms, jumps, seating for spectators, watering system,,ect,,,, as I look back I'm starting to realize my addiction,, ahh still in denial!!! Lol!!!

So you think the grousers look big? For me it's like the signature of a beast, thick and tall, big looking tracks. I think that comes from all the used equipment I've had and always wanting the new stuff but not being able to justify the $200k for new. I may trim the height down some but it's mainly going to be used in sandy/silty soil. And if anything looks like I'm heading in the wrong direction I'm always listening
Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Craftsman

Cooper-your grousers may be okay. That is just the 1st. thing my eyes focus on when looking at your tracks. Right or wrong-I don't have a clue. I have never even seen a D11 in person. I just know they are HUGE!! As I said-build it like you want it and keep cranking out those parts.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Craftsman

Cooper-I don't want to get your thread off topic but you talking about the r/c car track got me going for a trip down memory lane. Here is a track I built behind my house in about 1995. We formed a club and started having races once a month with 25-30 trucks coming every race. We would also have about 10 trucks every weekend to practice and play.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps6fdbd471.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...psaec12898.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps2966b541.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps4b071d51.jpg
If your track is close to this size you will need more than the D11 to maintain it. I used a cub cadet pulling a section harrow and a railroad cross-tie for leveling and a tiller to re-mix the dirt about once a month. It was fun but it was almost a full time job to keep the track in good shape. I would do it all again though because of the good memories.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

That's an awesome backyard track!!! This is the only pick I could find off hand, the track has grown and been modified since but at least you get an idea. It's for 1:14 scale trucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.5 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

A little better pic, and in my opinion a good build thread covers all aspects, like where the equipment is going to be working
Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Craftsman

Thanks for the comments-sorry I don't have a picture showing the entire track but you can get an idea of the size. Your track looks to be well kept and I can't help but notice the lake. I was thinking the way some people drove on my track that if they were on your track they would have surely wound up in the water. Your D11 should be right at home there.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got some more done, i still have to machine in the details and round stuff but this gives an idea of the torsion bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Oops, darn iPad!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.0 KB, 120 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Just a side shot, will start on the sprocket drive mounting and location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 AM
Craftsman

Looking better with each picture!!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Apprentice

DADSGARAGE is on a distinguished road

Sweet...great job!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

Hi you are doing a great job look real good so far keep it up. Ed
Old 01-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Got photobucket working

Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Still trying to figure out what to copy/paste

Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Ok, got it figured out, img code. Lil'giant , finally got it figured out, should be hosting photos from now on. I'm technologically challenged when it comes to iPads, computers. And to think I'm the IT guy at work!!!! Lol!!! Small family business, but I do get employee of the month a couple times a year!!!!lol!!!! (Only have three on payroll, wife mom and me. ).