RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Tamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutTamiya Cowboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: CORVETTE RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyland Trucker View Post
Not to step on any toes here but after owning a trucking company for over 20yrs and driving for over 20yrs I have been inspected by many Motor Carrier Enforcement officers and they have always measured the wheel base on my tractors by measuring from the center of the front hub to the center of the hub on the first rear axle, and same holds true when we were measured going into canada because there wheelbase law is 245" and they measured it the same way.
Thats the way truck lines do it around here that is coming from a board member that runs a very large fleet of trucks and also helps another company with there LTL and trucks.

HI.. My name is Paul.. And.. I.. Have a Cabover Addiction.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11 "LET IT EAT"
Like Us on Facebook "Corn Field Mafia"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Fabrication and design , super moderator

ihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the roughihbuilder is a jewel in the rough

Of all the bloody years I've been (re)building and getting modified titles . On a tandem axle truck , WB is measured from the center of the front most axle to the center of the tandems . Thats what they want on the app. and that's how it was explained to us by the local manufactures that have helped us with the paper work . Canada my be different , IDK . Bridge law goes by a different measure .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Semi Crazy is on a distinguished road

I drove and owned big trucks for a good part of my life and have always used center of the front axle to the center of the first rear axle in reference to the wheel base. When buying the truck, when referring to the truck to buy parts and to pay fines for over length. That's the way it has always been.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:35 PM

Stickman is on a distinguished road

I think you measure front axle to center of front drive for axle spacing, and front axle to between tandems for wheelbase. I've seen this discusion go on in many other forums before, with no end in sight. I drive a Freightliner Cascadia daycab every day, and inside the glovebox it says it has a 184 wheelbase on the data sticker. I took a tape measure to it and it measured 184" from the center of the steer axle to the empty space right between the tandems.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

I know 2 of the guys that drive those big KW's

Will be with them in long beach next week for the ALMS Race......I will let them know about your build..
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Green Horn

wolfws6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmackattack View Post
I know 2 of the guys that drive those big KW's

Will be with them in long beach next week for the ALMS Race......I will let them know about your build..
Sweet, Have fun at long beach!!!!!! Hope to get the roof signed at Petit Le Mans this year.The wrap should be done by friday. I'll post some picks up this weekend if I get it done!!!

Olly let me hold the Mid Ohio winning trophy last year!!!!Go BAD BOYS
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Journeyman

Yea I have watched him Drive up thru the years. He is a good shoe...
Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I think you measure front axle to center of front drive for axle spacing, and front axle to between tandems for wheelbase. I've seen this discusion go on in many other forums before, with no end in sight. I drive a Freightliner Cascadia daycab every day, and inside the glovebox it says it has a 184 wheelbase on the data sticker. I took a tape measure to it and it measured 184" from the center of the steer axle to the empty space right between the tandems.
Thats the correct way in the USA. Axel spacing and wheel base are 2 diffrent measurments. on a 3 axel tractor the Wheel base is measured from center of front axel to center of tandems. my build sheet from Mack in 1977 shows i have a 206" WB when I measured to center of tandems It indeed is 206".

front axel to first rear axel spacing has more to do with bridge weight laws.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM
CEO of bend over motors."WE DRIVE IT HOME!"

spudd has a spectacular aura aboutspudd has a spectacular aura about

we did frame stretching for years,you measure from the front axle to the center of tandems or trunnion,for measuring for box install you go back of cab to center of trunnion.

RIP FREDDYGEARDRIVE
Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM
Green Horn

Default CORVETTE RACING UPDATE 4/21/13

I got the wrap installed and all 220 led lenses. I ended up just designing my own design instead of coping the real thing. I hand painted all the bezels on the lenses. I also installed the chrome fender flares. Where the white is in the stripes will be chrome stripes. I still have too wire all the leds and get the roof, rear door and the tail light panel chromed. More to come, thanks for looking.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 PM

low&slow is on a distinguished road

wow, great job so far!
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Green Horn

dmess62 is on a distinguished road

great job

Dave
Old 04-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

That's one **** of a nice trailer. I just showed my brother the pics and he thought the first pic was a real 1:1 trailer. The fender flares are an awesome added detail I think most people overlook. Excellent job.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:33 PM
Journeyman

RCLogger will become famous soon enough

Wow. Great job on the trailer. Steamer and I will have to send you photos of our vette's and size the photos down so you could photo art them in front of your trailer.
Looking forward to more updates on the build.

Greg
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Holy cow, your trailer turned out nice! I have to agree, it looks like a 1:1 trailer. I like the marker lights. Where did you find the square lenses? The fenders look great, and are a nice touch!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Green Horn

Thank you guys. Man, I worked really hard on it and I thank for the kind comments!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Journeyman

Looking good man, are you going to put a generator box on the nose?. Now you just needs big old KW to pull that around. They have 3 of them that pull the different featherlite trailers. I actually just got home from long beach and had followed the corvette guys out of the track. That thing is low,watch those curbs! Ask me how i know.....Here is the truck I drive at work...

Just for fun....Here is my truck pulling an champcar trailer back from road America in 2007. I laugh at this pic because my truck when new had a 36" bunk at one time and there is no way I would have been able to have pull this monster if the bunk was still on. I had to remove my pogo stick just so the gen box could swing . The pogo stick mounted directly behind the bunk, when I backed under it the pogo stick was 2" away from the nose of the gen box.....how times and length laws have changed.

Last edited by Lmackattack; 04-23-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 AM
Green Horn

Thank you Lmackattack!!! Yes on the generator box. That's what will house the batteries and switches to operate the power landing gear and the lights for easy access. The Mack truck looks sweet man!!!! More to come......
Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Dairyland trucker's right hand man.

dabears is on a distinguished road

NICE!! Best looking one done yet!! I agree the details you have added are perfect for it!! Cant wait to see it glow!!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Green Horn

Default CORVETTE RACING

Got some things done. I've add the chrome stripes and some DOT tape. Also mocked up the cab on the chassie. Well the whole is going to be SIX FEET LONG. My wife said I need to build it's own garage it's so big!!?!?!?!