RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Supermario is on a distinguished road
Default Re: S&M Trucking open for bizz nizz !!!

Hey everyone. Getting so close to the finish on Susans truck and then ran into some trouble that i finally dealt with today!
Heres what happened.... i was mapping out hole locations for the lights in the plates Keith made for me. I marked them out carefully on the polished side of the plates because I knew there would be a burr left from drilling and didnt want to drill from the back side. Unfortunately, my metal ruler had a burr on it I didnt know about and as i slid it along the plate I scratched the crap out of the beautiful polished finish Keith did!!
Then I realized the rookie mistake i made! I could have marked the holes on the back side and just drill a smaller hole to start, then finish the right size from the front! ....lesson learned.

Anyway, I was so mad! this entire build was going great and suddenly when I caused damage I had to put the brakes on! I did some research on polishing, talked to Keith and some guys at work.
I finally got the nerve to give it a try and it was a complete success and I can now move on with the build! Scratches are gone, plates look great and i started wiring today.

I got these very nice, pre wired 1.8mm leds from a site Dabears suggested.
heres where Im at with the cab lights.

Just one more thing i havent found yet.... shrink tubing which is small enough for 32 gauge magnet wire. I hope to find locally tomorrow. I want to have this baby running and take a video this weekend!

thanks for looking any and all comments welcome

Mario
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking good Mario. You're getting close to the finish line my friend... May I ask where you got the pre-wired led's? The "SLUMLORD" needs some.

Big John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mario, looking nice bud. Can't wait to see them on the rig lit up. It's gonna be awesome. Nice job.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Green Horn

WhiteWolf McBride is on a distinguished road

Mario,

Are you only running ONE 32 guage wire inside the sleeve?

I know the solution, and you're gonna kick yourself - don't use heat-shrink. Use some casing from a solid-wire a few guages up, like telco wire. Just strip it off the other stuff, and then thread the mag-wire into it.

Heck, that white 4-conductor stuff has yellow, black, red and green casings ya can use.

I've been using this method for other guages for years when I dinna want to use heat-shrink 'cause it would melt the wire casings, or sommat nearby. Also use it for scale wire-loom, handles, and other things...

WhiteWolf
Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Espeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura aboutEspeefan has a spectacular aura about

Nice and tidy work Mario. I like that. It looks like you used a resistor for each LED. What voltage are you going to run these lights off of?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

hey mario try The Source Electronics if there is one up where you are they have really small wire connects with heat shrink on them and they sell heat shrink separately
Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 AM

DaBomb6988 is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see it lit up.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 AM

rccrazy523 is on a distinguished road

mario the truck looks grate love the cab and the detail .
Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Thanks Big John. I love these lights. The company who sells them are great to deal with and my first order came with a 10 bucks off coupon and free shipping over 40 bucks on my next order
Really good variety on colors, sizes, lengths .....etc.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/bl-214f.html

Thanks Keith. I can't wait either
I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the tree to be lit up for the first time after decorating...lol

That's a great suggestion Whitewolf .
I need the shrink tube to seal and isolate the solder connection for the 2 main wires which will connect to the light relay.

Glad you like Nathan, I'm very happy how it looks. I think the combination crazy glue and then silicone should hold them all in place very well.... And yes, I like clean looking wiring, not birds nest wiring

These lights have a 5-12 volt working range. I plan on connecting them to the aux relay on the SS Tronix board which has a 5 volt output. Not battery voltage of 7.2
Why do you ask? Am I forgetting something? I'm going to connect all 20 LEDs in parallel to a relay that can handle 2 amps or 60 led. I should be ok right???

Hey Dwayne.

No luck at the Source. The smallest they have is 1/4" tubing which is way too big for magnet wire. Good news is, I found some today at a local electrical shop! I'm good to go! No more hold ups!

Thanks Dabomb6988 . I'm very anxious to not only see it lit up, I've enjoyed the build but it's time to finish!

Thanks Rccrazy523, I like the unique cab that pro builder made for us and the spectacular paint job he did.

Mario
Old 03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

glorydays24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermario View Post
Thanks Big John. I love these lights. The company who sells them are great to deal with and my first order came with a 10 bucks off coupon and free shipping over 40 bucks on my next order
Really good variety on colors, sizes, lengths .....etc.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/bl-214f.html

Thanks Keith. I can't wait either
I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the tree to be lit up for the first time after decorating...lol

That's a great suggestion Whitewolf .
I need the shrink tube to seal and isolate the solder connection for the 2 main wires which will connect to the light relay.

Glad you like Nathan, I'm very happy how it looks. I think the combination crazy glue and then silicone should hold them all in place very well.... And yes, I like clean looking wiring, not birds nest wiring

These lights have a 5-12 volt working range. I plan on connecting them to the aux relay on the SS Tronix board which has a 5 volt output. Not battery voltage of 7.2
Why do you ask? Am I forgetting something? I'm going to connect all 20 LEDs in parallel to a relay that can handle 2 amps or 60 led. I should be ok right???

Hey Dwayne.

No luck at the Source. The smallest they have is 1/4" tubing which is way too big for magnet wire. Good news is, I found some today at a local electrical shop! I'm good to go! No more hold ups!

Thanks Dabomb6988 . I'm very anxious to not only see it lit up, I've enjoyed the build but it's time to finish!

Thanks Rccrazy523, I like the unique cab that pro builder made for us and the spectacular paint job he did.

Mario
Thank you so much Mario, they have everything I need to have a rolling christmas tree. LOL!!!

Big John

YOU WANTED THE BEST AND YOU GOT THE BEST THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD...KISS!!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

i agree with you mario..time for me to get cracking too and finish my builds also
Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

So I've just run into a set back on the Black Passion build
I got the cab skirt lights all done, tested and looking fine. I attached them to the cab mounting plate and then that's when trouble came up.

When marked out the holes for the lights I used the same spacing as the sleeper lights to make it look right. Well, I just discovered I have one led on each side which is in the exact same position as the front mounting brackets for the steps! no room for the LEDs ! I never seen it coming and I'm ^}%]*]% I missed that! Lesson learned. I was too focused on just the part and not where it goes!

Plan B - I need to screw the step to the vertical edge of the mounting bracket and remove the horizontal edge will work. Sad part is I have about 4 inches of slack because of the light wires for the step lights which are glued on! so I have to drill the steps while still hanging or mounted. The whole fix is going to be awkward as ****

It's been a rough day. I was ready to start dealing with the problem right away but thought.... I'm rushing this. I'm upset I won't get it done as quick as I wanted but hey, this build has never been rushed and had no big problems. Now I rush a little and look what I get!

So , I'm on a shutdown for the day! Grabbed a Bud out of the fridge, kicked back on the couch and I think I'm gonna watch the nationwide Bristol race and start fresh tomorrow.

Have to turn the brain off for a bit....lol. Thanks for listening

Mario
Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

All right, I'm done with my freak out session. Couldn't help myself but get back at the build. I was all upset for nothing! Took about an hour to cut and modify the step bracket and the cab plate is now installed and fits perfect.

Sorry bout the drama queen complaining

Back to building........

Mario
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 PM

smurff is on a distinguished road

Hey Mario,,,I'm going to try to build a "low boy" and I was wondering if I could order a set of tires and rims like the ones on your trailer.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurff View Post
Hey Mario,,,I'm going to try to build a "low boy" and I was wondering if I could order a set of tires and rims like the ones on your trailer.
Hey Smurff, I wish I could give ya exact details but, I purchased mine complete from RC4WD. The tires I'm sure are available but the wheels I'm not sure. You should contact for info

https://store.rc4wd.com/mobile/home.asp?#page-173

Mario
Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Journeyman

Kaf343 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you got it worked out Mario, I'm sure it's going to look great.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road

This Mama is starting to be a happy Mama...LOL.. Here's an update on Black Passion...The cab is back on and the lights are all working... WooHoo!... Now for the finishing touches and then wait for my trailer....p.s. Just going to add that many have seen my trailer in various stages, , but I have yet to see anything more than drawings but it is an Izzy trailer so I know it will be spectacular.. 89 lights on the truck.Thanks for looking....Now back to work Mario.... lol
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1363534690

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1363534695

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1363540686

Last edited by Mama Sue; 03-17-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Apprentice

Mama Sue is on a distinguished road

I apologize for the pics not appearing..tried to do it the same as I did last time but the outcome was different
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Sue View Post
I apologize for the pics not appearing..tried to do it the same as I did last time but the outcome was different
For some reason the new version of photobucket is giving Susan greif
I wanted her to be the one posting the pics but on her behalf, I am proud to show the latest pics of her truck. With signal lights, head lights included the final count is 93 !

Now to mount rear fenders, grab handles on back of sleeper, company logos....and then, its complete!

thanks for looking

S&M Sue & Mario
Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

plow jockey is on a distinguished road

That truck is sweet!! A real show stopper!! You have done an amazing job on this build!!! Can't wait to see the trailer behind it!!