RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Sound Systems tech

Sound Systems tech This section is dedicated to the sound systems for our models. Tamiya MFU, Servonaut, etc.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:32 PM

Bill 832 is on a distinguished road
Default MFU keeps shutting off!!!!!

Alright, next newbie question (and don't think for a minute that I don't appreciate all the help!). I have been trying to get the MFU sorted out while the body of the truck is in paint, and everything was ok at first. I strapped the speaker box to the rear of the chassis, behind the coupler, to see what it sounded like, and was impressed. Got the taillights wired up, reverse, coupler sound, fog lights in the bumper of my knight hauler, and am even giving my driver figure his first ride. Then for some reason, the truck shut off sound just keeps sounding every time I start it, and I can't go anywhere! I have reset the MFU numerous times, and am hoping I just have something out of adjustment. I have a knight hauler, and the Futaba T4YF 2.4 radio. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, and the first truck meet I go to, I'm gonna have to buy a couple of you guys dinner or something for all the help!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Master Builder

rc_farmer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MFU keeps shutting off!!!!!

Bill
Have you gotten any resolve to ur issue yet? If not PM me.

Rob
Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Wannabe

Brel is on a distinguished road

have you got both rear axle turning in the same direction, because they could be fighting each other for grip and causing the truck to stall, thus over heating the ESC in the MFU to cause it to shut down, I suggest you put the chassis on blocks and the try running it to see if the axles rotate in the same direction, if they are rotating in opposite direction then all you have to to is flip one and that should solve the problem of the truck stalling. if they are both going the same way then I have not got a clue, I must admit when I built my scania R620, I installed the rear axles so that the ran in opposite direction LOL
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

tc1cat is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have the same problem I am having with my Bud truck. I have been told by a few that it is the Futaba 2.4 radio that is the problem. For some reason it does not like the MFU of our trucks. The reciever failsafe shuts down for some unknown reason. Only way I know to resolve the issue is with a different radio. Good luck with yours. I am going to try a different brand of radio and see what happens.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Journeyman

kaptain Jack is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem of the truck shutting down, Futaba t4yf skysport 2.4
I solved the issue,by moving the right vertical trimmer all the way down,all the functions including remote lights are working fine. The way my radio set is: throttle- vertical stick on the left side, and the steering- horizontal stick on the right side, the shifter-horizontal left side. Try it.
Jack
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Green Horn

CustomRCmodels is on a distinguished road

I encountered the same issue , so far not with the MFU's ,
I use here my own to 2.4 Ghz modified radios , Graupner JR's and old style Futaba's
( module type , 5U and 7U mainly ), with replaceable HF modules
as well Futaba T6XA ( computer version of the older 6 channel skysport ) modified to 2.4 Ghz ... no problems here ..

but I noticed that the old Tamiya truck sound units will not work with the newer Traxxas 4 channel pistol-grip 2.4Ghz radios , the older ones do ...
and my Spektrums DX3s work , but sometimes they just keep shutting down ...

its obviously an issue with the 2.4 Ghz systems in general....
some work for these sound units , some don't ....
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Was offline, and was unable to check them. I tried the right trim lever all the way down, and it still didn't work, so I am gonna ditch the 2.4 and try an FM radio (i guess i'll try the same one in fm), and see if that helps. Will keep you guys posted. And by the way, I initially when first assembled had the axles backwards, but because I couldn't wait to see what it looked like with the wheels on it, I found out that problem before the radio was installed, and flopped them back right. Thanks again, and my next project is going to be learning how to post pics (i know i keep saying that).
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got my Futaba T4YF FM radio, to replace the 2.4 one, and Everything seems to work fine now! A special thanks to S&N Trackside Raceway in Brookfield WI, which is where I race at, for taking back two radios now until I got what I actually needed down right (first one had digital trims....the second was the Futaba 2.4) but that FM seems to work right. I can do all the functions, and am starting to get used to it, so when my body comes back from paint, I will be able to bolt it on. Thanks again to everybody for the help, and I might actually be able to make that Indy meet, to shake some hands in person. Can't wait now for the body to come back, want to try for one of the builds of the month..........