RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Ag and Industrial Equipment and Buildings > Construction Equipment > Construction General Discussion

Construction General Discussion General questions

Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 AM

Yard Toad is on a distinguished road
Default RC4WD Dozer, modifications, upgrades, settings.

Just wondering what others have done to their dozers to modify, upgrade, or setup of radio settings.

Here are some things I have done to my dozer so far. I have added decals, nonskid tape on the steps, oil drain on bottom of hydro tank, Loctite the track pins, replaced all Servos (Hitec), added servonaut MM4 switch. Currently waiting on telemetry battery voltage sensor for the Flysky Rx. Thanks for your replies in advance.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:44 PM

Default Re: RC4WD Dozer, modifications, upgrades, settings.

Hmmm... I guess people here aren’t open to sharing knowledge or having good discussion about our hobby. Seems to me the only time people post is when they have problems. Sad but it seems this is the only way people are going to reply with information that won’t be pertinent to the post... or wait, maybe I am the only one that owns a dozer.
Thanks for the replies....
Old 01-05-2018, 10:56 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

skeeter is on a distinguished road

Patience is a virtue, grasshopper! You posted this about 24 hours ago. Give peeps a chance to read, & reply to it!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:25 PM

Mavv is on a distinguished road

I just got my dozer a few weeks ago. First thing I did was swap out the two speed controllers for a Sabertooth one so I could control it with one control.

I now have the movement to my left sticks, and my right sticks control the blade which makes it much better to control.

Decals are ordered and lighting, but other than that I haven't done anything else with it. Do those tracks really need to be lock tighted?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 PM
Apprentice

TheBennyB is on a distinguished road

Easy Yard, that was a crap aggressive/passive post you had, but fine. (see what I did there?) Number one is to remove the the "overfill" tube off the fluid tank and plug or replace with a one way needle valve, or anytime you operate on an angle or tip the sucker you'll have fluid everywhere. Next would be mixing on your TX to get dozer and blade functions on the sticks and ripper on the toggles. Of course this is just personal preference. If your interested I can send pics of my stock TX mixing screens, this is using the stock ESC's though.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-06-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:20 AM

Mavv, this maybe the way I go if I don’t decide to upgrade the stock radio. My stock radio only has one mix available (Flysky i6s). What Sabertooth did you use? 2x60?

As far as the track pins are concerned, they will begin to back themselves out and start to catch and drag on the lower track guides. The blue Loctite will take care of that, haven’t had a problem since.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Benny, thanks for the tip on the overfill tube. I have not had issues with this yet but still good information on the fix.

I would be interested in the TX mixing, but currently the stock Flysky TX will only support one mix. Thinking about upgrading radio to support more mixes or running a Sabertooth once I burn up the ESC’s. Still not sure the way I will go with this yet. Would you mind posting the Tx mix screen shots? Would be helpful info for those of us that may upgrade to new Tx’s.

Are you running the Radiolink at9? If so how many mixes will it support?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 PM

Don't need to do any fancy mixing with your radio with the sabertooth. I'm using the 2x60 one.

Basically one lead goes to throttle, and one lead goes to the stick you want to turn, which for me is rudder. I use one of these controllers on my snowcat and it just makes it so much easier to control. The ripper is now on two toggle switches.

I did ditch the stock radio and use my Futuba T10. One thing I would like to do is figure out how to mix the pump to turn on when I want to use the plow but I don't quite have it figured out yet.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Northern Farmer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: RC4WD Dozer, modifications, upgrades, settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavv View Post
Don't need to do any fancy mixing with your radio with the sabertooth. I'm using the 2x60 one.

Basically one lead goes to throttle, and one lead goes to the stick you want to turn, which for me is rudder. I use one of these controllers on my snowcat and it just makes it so much easier to control. The ripper is now on two toggle switches.

I did ditch the stock radio and use my Futuba T10. One thing I would like to do is figure out how to mix the pump to turn on when I want to use the plow but I don't quite have it figured out yet.
Check out these videos

https://youtu.be/oxGPnQMmqpI
https://youtu.be/LP3saFpPUgw
Old 01-07-2018, 11:31 PM

Thanks for those links ill watch them
Old 01-08-2018, 12:49 AM

Mavv, Maybe someone with more experience with mixes will chime in. Please correct me if I’m wrong, setting up your pump to come on on-demand from 0% will cause the pumps ESC to overheat and seems to have a slight delay on the controls. What I have noticed in some videos and examples is to set up your pump to constantly run but at a slower percentage rate, then mix it with one or all of your control channels. I believe this reduces over heating on your pumps ESC. Also this setup seems to be more responsive.

The videos are great examples of what can be achieved by mixing. Would be great if they also shared the mixes and the values. Maybe Frank will chime in on how he accomplish this.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Apprentice

I'm in that boat as well Yard with regard to the pump motor on/off with functions. Also I'm using the stock "Radio Link AT9" TX with 2 mixes and no problem Either way you should be able to do 2 mix's easily, not sure why you can only have one mix? Did you get yours new or used? Again this is with the stock 2 ESC's for the drive motors. With a Sabertooth your combing 2 ESC's into one which makes it somewhat easier.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-08-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Benny, I got my dozer new and it came with a flysky fa-i6s. This radio only has one mix available and it also does not have any variable knobs. I was a bit disappointed when it didn’t come with the RadioLink At9. At least you have the ability to mix channels for differential steering and the ability to raise and lower your pump speed easily by the turn of a knob. I have been debating with the idea of the Sabertooth but I still wouldn’t be able to lower the pump speed with ease. If I upgrade to a Radiolink at9 I will be able to have differential steering and variable speed control of pump speed. Also if the At9 had 4 more mixes available you could set up all the controls to set up on-demand from a min. % to a desired max% rate.

Benny how many mixes does your At9 have?
Old 01-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Apprentice

liftmys10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard Toad View Post
Benny, I got my dozer new and it came with a flysky fa-i6s. This radio only has one mix available and it also does not have any variable knobs.
I was also disappointed that it did not come with variable knobs to adjust pump speed and only ONE mix available. That's a slap in the face. I did however dial in my i6s for 870k wheel loader to a point where I feel confident in the movements. I posted a YouTube video in action. With the default settings it was impossible for me to control smoothly.
I believe all the construction equipments now come with i6s.

Last edited by liftmys10; 01-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Benny, I got my dozer new and it came with a flysky fa-i6s. This radio only has one mix available and it also does not have any variable knobs. I was a bit disappointed when it didn’t come with the RadioLink At9. At least you have the ability to mix channels for differential steering and the ability to raise and lower your pump speed easily by the turn of a knob. I have been debating with the idea of the Sabertooth but I still wouldn’t be able to lower the pump speed with ease. If I upgrade to a Radiolink at9 I will be able to have differential steering and variable speed control of pump speed. Also if the At9 had 4 more mixes available you could set up all the controls to set up on-demand from a min. % to a desired max% rate.

Benny how many mixes does your At9 have?
Next time I'm out in the shop I'll look, but think 4-6.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:54 PM
Wannabe

thebigo is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you can mix with the stock set up, ESC, I did figure out how to do it with my spectrum DX-18 on the Carson Loader Hydraulics, did it with both the Loader functions and the ripper works great, I have the premacon electronics, can’t remember what the name is though. If anyone has the spectrum radio, I would be more than happy to tak some pictures of the screens for you. Tried doing it on the RC4wd xl4200 excavator and could only get on or off settings for hydro, but I need to try it on the Dozer yet, will let you Know.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Mavv, Maybe someone with more experience with mixes will chime in. Please correct me if I’m wrong, setting up your pump to come on on-demand from 0% will cause the pumps ESC to overheat and seems to have a slight delay on the controls. What I have noticed in some videos and examples is to set up your pump to constantly run but at a slower percentage rate, then mix it with one or all of your control channels. I believe this reduces over heating on your pumps ESC. Also this setup seems to be more responsive.

The videos are great examples of what can be achieved by mixing. Would be great if they also shared the mixes and the values. Maybe Frank will chime in on how he accomplish this.
Ya ive seen that on youtube and its what I am trying to figure out to do. For now its pump on or off when I use the machine.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:53 PM
BANNED

Lil Giants has disabled reputation

Mixing is quite simple on any radio, the menu procedure is the same for all of them. The 1st ch entry is Master (valve), 2nd ch entry is Slave (pump), then + - values need to be in the right order so your pump always turns the correct direction. I set pump EPA initially to run at 30% & depending on what I'm doing, turn the mix or leave it off.

Joe
Old 01-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info, I think we are getting this figured out. I just tried this with my one and only mix on my Flysky i6s. I will share the values that I have used for others to try and see if they also have some success. 1st set EPA for my pump at 40% that is the max speed i want my pump to run, set master channel with (valve of choice), slave channel always(pump). neg. value -40% pos. value 40% and -50% offset.

With these values when the mix is off and my pump is on it runs at 40% (my max speed). When I turn on the mix it reduces the pump speed by 50%(offset) and the pump now runs at 20%. When I open the valve my pump speed is at 20% and as i continue to open the valve my pump speed continues to increase until i have reached full open and now my pump is at its max speed of 40%. I believe you would just repeat the process for every valve, as long as your radio has enough mixes available.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Benny thanks for the info on the at9. Looks like it will work for the differential steering and support all the mixes to run the pump at low speed.