RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 PM

Fury Fan is on a distinguished road
Default homebrewed flatbed #2, spread axle

My prior thread was about my early junk, this one is geared toward this section. The flatbed at the end of that thread wasn't terribly realistic/scaled, but it looked sorta cool, and I knew it was just a toe-dip into the pool.

Once I figure out exactly how I want to build these, and work out the kinks, I think I'll do one with CNC'd alum framerails.

(old thread - http://www.rctruckandconstruction.co...ad.php?t=13078)

Started out with a simple set of framerails made from 1/2-thick wood. Carved them out to emulate flanges like a real trailer, and gave it fishbelly too. Trailer will be 42" long.

Locations are marked for crossmembers and leafspring mounts.

Cut some crossmembers from extrusion, made the frame, and mounted the Xtraspeed suspension bits. Some of these aspects will need changed as this evolves, though....

Added a plywood top, alum extrusion to the edges and CNC'd a headerpanel and a lightchannel. The smaller screwheads were located with intent to paint them as marker lites. (I'm not versed in LEDs for these yet). Rough edges get cleaned up later on.

Made a hitchplate, has multiple holes so I could adjust the pin location if necessary. It also can be rotated front-rear, which gives even further adjustability. This will be hooked to an RC'd Bruder, and I didn't know exactly how all the measurements would work out. The framerails on this one clear the tires nicely (learned that on the last trailer!).

Last edited by Fury Fan; 02-21-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:30 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road
Default Re: homebrewed flatbed #2, spread axle

Off to a good start!

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 PM

Fury Fan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: homebrewed flatbed #2, spread axle

The landing legs have been a major hangup. Have run thru a bunch of ideas, and each one either doesn't look very good, is hard to build, or probably won't operate properly. (I'm thinking of manually operated, screwdriver operated, or elec motor).

So I bought a set of non-Tamiya legs off ebay just to make some progress - and hit another brick wall. They nearly touch the ground when they are retracted upward. So either they are off, or my trailer is, or both.

So, can I get some help on some measurements?
  1. What is the height to the bottom of a Tamiya trailer,
  2. the height of their legs when retracted,
  3. how much ground clearance do they give, and
  4. what is the height at the top surface of a 5th wheel on a Tamiya truck?

Thanks!