RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Highway Trucks and Trailers

Highway Trucks and Trailers On road trucks and trailers single and twin axle trucks.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 PM
Green Horn

thebat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My first build

thats awesome glad to hear you got the esc debackle figured out and i cant wait to see how the paint job coems otu and keep me posted on that decal maker kit ive seen thsoe at hobby lobby before and thought about getting oen to make some decals. thanks and keep up the good work.

Keep On Rollin.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:05 PM

GjtBob is on a distinguished road

So, here's an update on my Knight Hauler build. I have the Chassis, pretty much finished, and finally have the paint done the way I wanted. I was able to use a Parma Vinyl Paint Mask, "Splash" is the design I chose, and I think it came out really well, considering it's been over 26 years since I built ANY kind of model, and used spray cans. Here are a few photos of the painted cab, mocked up on the chassis. I'm going to let this dry for probably a week before I attempt to do any more work on her, as I don't want any fingerprints in the paint.

I've decided to go ahead and customize a Tamyia Flatbed, using a second Deck and boards I got from "SemiJoe" via eBay, and some 1 1/2"x3/4" Aluminum channel that I am going to cut to the correct length for a scaled down 48'x102" trailer. It should end up around 41 or 42 inches long when done. I've got LED's ready to go so I have 5 down each side and 9 across the back, all of the correct US DOT colors and locations. I'm going to paint the trailer frame, under deck and side rails to match the tractor, and am going to try to get the stripes to match. Let me know what you think so far. Thanks for looking.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Oh yeah, Zachary, I haven't tried the decal maker yet, not sure I'm going to on this one yet. If I do, it'll be for a possible decal for the back of the sleeper, maybe an ocean/ beach scene, haven't decided yet.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Green Horn

thebat is on a distinguished road

cool deal and that paint job turned out really well i like the colors and the pattern nice job cant wait to see her all finished up im planning my next build now and this has given me some ideas.

Keep On Rollin.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Truck looks great, nice graphics choice and colors!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the comments, they're greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Wannabe

up9018 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that looks really good. Nice work.

Chris
Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Thanks Chris, this was my second try with the Parma Paint Mask, the first time I got in a rush, and couldn't get it to lay down correctly, and the Transfer Paper left glue residue on the white. I found that the Alcohol Wipes I use when I check my blood sugar, worked great at removing the glue, and didn't damage the paint, ( I had let it cure for a few days prior to trying to mask). This time, I cut the mask in half and applied it much easier, though I did miss a small gap on the passenger side, you can see where there is some blue just below the lower exhaust stack mount, but I can fix that with some bottled paint and a brush in a few days. Also, the hood mask was a bit off center, but I'm ok with it for no. I'm going to let it all cure for a week or so, and will probably wet sand it, then shoot a clear coat to even out the ridges at the paint lines, plus I want to buff it up to a really tight shine.

I'm going to start my semi custom Flatbed Trailer build later this week, once all my Aluminum and my new Dremel tool, and accessories get here. I'm going to cut and shape the frame rails, so they're one solid length each, using Takiyas rails as guide for the ends, then I'll fasion the side rails the same way, so there's no visible joints on the sides. I'll custom cut, and mix the boards for the deck after I get all my lights mounted, and tested. Not sure of how to his the joints on the lower deck, but will probably use some sort of filler then sand/ grind it "smooth" on the underside to hide those joints. I'm planning to paint the frame, bottom of the deck and possibly the side rails to match the tractor, but might even take the time to either buff them to a mirror finish, or try to put some swirl circles on the bare aluminum like some custom 1:1 trailers I've seen in my travels. I'm having a great time doing this, so much so that I'm already trying to figure out how to get the wife to let me keep going, heck I offered to build her something, but se didn't bite. Have s great day all, Bob.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:33 AM

nenard is on a distinguished road

Looks really kool. Ive seen a few class-A motor homes with paint work some what like that. Did you cut the pattern yourself or are there pre cut patterns? Very nice either way.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 AM

Thanks, nenard, I used a precut Parma Paint Mask I got fro Tower Hobbies for like $4.95 or so, this one is called "Splash", they are actually designed to be used on the 1:10 clear lexan bodies, but they are more of a static cling than tape/ glue backed, so they'll work on virtuall anything I'd bet. I went this route, as I don't have an airbrush and I'm not great at getting ideas from my head to paper drawings, so this worked great for me.

Last edited by GjtBob; 04-09-2015 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Old 05-23-2015, 01:32 AM

Well, things have come to a crawl on the trailer build. I had a heck of a time getting the custom rails cut and shaped properly using the Dremel, a Jigsaw and a hack saw, I wasn't steady enough to get my cuts accurate. I got my hands on a second set of stock rails, and cut the second set to length, then using a wet Tile Saw with a diamond blade, to rip them down to be the height of the rear notch to lower the bed height at the suspension, and am going to rip cut the King Pin end, to lower the deck at the front to look more realistic, as Tamiya Trailers simply sit too high above the tires, and just don't look right. I also bought a set of "Suzzies" to have coiled lines from the tractor to the trailer, and will mount some matching female banana receptacles, to replace the Tamiya plug. I'm going to rewire the landing gear, in order to have them work just via the toggle switch, and I'm not going to use the thick parts by the fifth wheel. I'm still going with a spread axle, with a toolbox mounted between each axle.i also got some straps from Ric, as well as some lenses for marker lights, and a rear bumper. I'll get some pics uploaded this weekend, but just wanted to show I was still moving, all be it very slowly.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 PM

trucknut86 is on a distinguished road

Hey ya'll I'm new to the rc truckin world. I just got the king hauler it is my 1st build I figured I drive them why not play with them. I have been watchin the rc truck shows on YouTube an that's where the bug got me so I got one. An was woundering how I can join the east coast mini truckers club I'm moving to south Carolina on the 30th of May an would like to come hang out an play around an meet new people here are some pics of my rig so far. Ok wail the craps do you post pics on here ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0022.jpg (157 Bytes, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0025.jpg (157 Bytes, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0026.jpg (157 Bytes, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0029.jpg (157 Bytes, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0030.jpg (157 Bytes, 114 views)
Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 PM

trucknut86 is on a distinguished road

Here is a nother pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0030.jpg (157 Bytes, 115 views)
Old 05-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

1985 kenworth is on a distinguished road

Coming along nicely for a first build...great job my friend
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the positive comments, they helped reinforce MY feeling that the build is turning out nicely. I was nervous when I first started building it, then got scared when I got to Paint, that was the one thing I didn't want to mess up on, as I didn't want to have to go and strip it to paint it again, but I feel I did pretty darn good. Now I am having a few issues with my Flatbed, since I'm bashing two kits together, PLUS adding some after market parts, I'm taking it extra slow, in order to get my measurements right for Axle Mounts, and just wanting it to look as clean as I CAN MAKE it, with the limited tools, and skills I currently have, but I KNOW I'll get it just the way I want it. Will it be a 100% accurate model of a 1:1? NO, but that's NOT what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to copy any single manufacturers trailer, rather, I'm trying to put features I like from SEVERAL companies equipment, into my "design", so far I'm getting the results I want, but I'm learning quickly, that this is not a quick process. I've got the frame rails cut and mounted to the modified Sub Floors, now I'm just getting my measurements right for the Side Rails, so they look correct to ME, I'm not building it to be in competition with anyone, I'm just learning to have fun, and to see what I'm capable of doing as a "newbie".

1985 kenworth, started a thread the other day, as HIS way of venting about an issue HE'S having/ had, with another builder, and that thread got me to realize a few things.

First, ANYONE can build WHATEVER they wish, (except copying ZEUS), which is a VERY REASONABLE request.

Second, NOBODY has the right to bash somebody else's build, be it on choice of item built, the style it is built in, the "accuracy" of it compared to a 1:1 example, color choices, or anything else. We ALL have different techniques we use, and some of us, like me, are just learning how it all fits together to be appealing to the eye, OUR OWN EYES, not critics.

and Thirdly, We ALL started into this hobby because it looked fun, and it is. We just need to remember that no matter what we do, someone will think his/her way is the "right" way, well guess what, there is no RIGHT way, only MY/ YOUR way, as its our individual build.

I got my axles from Ric yesterday, and am ready to move on to getting them assembled, and set where I want them on the frame. I'm not sure about lights now, as I had a problem with the GT Power kit I got for the Tractor, some of the lights quit, so I 'll have to look into that, but I'll probably still install the LED's I want, where I want them in the Trailer, just so they're in place and all I'll have to do is connect them.