RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Tech section. > Truck Building Tech

Truck Building Tech Covers mechanical and electrical components for truck modeling

Old 03-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Cooper is on a distinguished road
Default Fifth wheel relocation for traction.

Hey guys, I have my day cab Aeromax that I'm using for a heavy hauler. Problem I'm running into is weight distribution. When the lowboy is loaded running on concrete the truck doesn't want to turn. I have the rear most axle locked for running on dirt. I want to keep it locked. I have read somewhere that some have moved the fifth wheel forward. That's what I want to do. I just don't know how far, 1/4" , center it over axles, or just forward of center? Battery is 5000mah under hood and front tires are filled with bb's. I do have a set of locking axles but really didn't want to use them on this if I can help it. That's why I was wondering about getting some weight farther forward. Lowboy is hauling 60+ # excavator. Truck suspension has been upgraded. High turn motor. That's stock tranny for now, upgrades in the works, or when she lets go .
Old 03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

bigford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fifth wheel relocation for traction.

I flipped my plate around to get the fifth over both axles

and over the first axle
Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

TRUCKMAKER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Hey guys, I have my day cab Aeromax that I'm using for a heavy hauler. Problem I'm running into is weight distribution. When the lowboy is loaded running on concrete the truck doesn't want to turn. I have the rear most axle locked for running on dirt. I want to keep it locked. I have read somewhere that some have moved the fifth wheel forward. That's what I want to do. I just don't know how far, 1/4" , center it over axles, or just forward of center? Battery is 5000mah under hood and front tires are filled with bb's. I do have a set of locking axles but really didn't want to use them on this if I can help it. That's why I was wondering about getting some weight farther forward. Lowboy is hauling 60+ # excavator. Truck suspension has been upgraded. High turn motor. That's stock tranny for now, upgrades in the works, or when she lets go .
I used to drive an old ford Louisville 1:1 with a wheel base a tad shorter than yours and it wouldn't turn to save itself. With out being able to slide it to its sweet spot I'd go with what bigford said, if you can get it that far with the trailer.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Green Horn

Dieselchopper is on a distinguished road

If you check out my aeromax rebuild thread I made a sliding 5th wheel. does make a difference. That said I had to change out the stock servo saver on the steering servo. As well I wore out a bushing servo on my steering very fast. use a good quality bearing servo.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Well I moved if forward to where the pin is just forward of center axels. Still doesn't want to turn going forward. But does good in reverse. It's the weight on the locked axle. So it looks like I'll wait till I get on something other than slick concrete and see. Or put the locker axles in it but didn't want to do that. Could unlock but then driving on dirt it would get stuck bobtailing. But in first gear it pulls well. Have it locked in first. Thanks guys, if and when I get around to messing with it more I'll revisit this
Old 03-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselchopper View Post
If you check out my aeromax rebuild thread I made a sliding 5th wheel. does make a difference. That said I had to change out the stock servo saver on the steering servo. As well I wore out a bushing servo on my steering very fast. use a good quality bearing servo.
Lol! That was the first thing that let go! The stock servo saver. I am just using a regular servo arm with high torque metal servo, bearing too. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Journeyman

Lmackattack is on a distinguished road

I flip the 5th wheel around on the plastic plate. Then bolt the plate back down to the frame.

A standard setting s 9" ahead of center on 1:1 trucks. But I find the rc trucks need more to get the weight up front.( gravity does not scale)

The turning problem you are having is that the locked axel is pushing the steer axle .i lock both my axles and have the same issue with my tractors as you do. I placed my battery over the trans to get as much weight up front.They turn much better in loose dirt. Also the stock tamiya springs are to soft and you end up riding on the axle stops when pulling a trailer with any weight on it. This compounds the push effect on the steer axle. I once added a little WD40 to the 5th wheel and it helped a little but can get messy.

It's a problem you live to deal with if you want a truck to get thru the dirt.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Big Dawg On The Bone

egronvold is on a distinguished road

If you move it forward, keep in mind that stock Tamiya trailers might not fit anymore. I moved mine forward on the SWB King Hauler, and then had to move the king pins on my trailers as well.

Construction site on Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

JAMMER is on a distinguished road

If you have a Twin Screw tractor and the fifth wheel is fixed here in NY you would have it 1 inch ahead of center of the trenion or between the drive axles center. Ed
Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

BRICKNICK is on a distinguished road

I'm sure its a foolish suggestion or you have already done this, but what about adding more weight to the tractor? I.e. metal fuel tanks, steps,stacks metal front Axel, wheelsetc....
Old 03-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Out of control

fhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud offhhhstix has much to be proud of

Add BB's to the front tires and if that is not enough addd BB's to the tanks and steps as well if you can. Add as much weight to the front of the truck as you can because it is getting light enough it wont turn so it wont hurt.

RIP FreddyGearDrive 2-12-59/12-19-11