RC Truck and Construction  

Go Back   RC Truck and Construction > RC Truck's Kings of the Road > Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks

Big Boys of the road 4x4/6x6/8x8/10x10 Trucks This forum is for those multiple axle trucks and other vehicles on and off road.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Capo 1:8 Jeep CD15823

WOW, nice piece of kit! You must be one of the first to have this. Last time I checked they were still taking pre-orders.

Have been hoping someone would get one and start a build thread.

Thank you for that! Keep the pics and info coming

Looks like it will be a great vehicle when finished.

Cheers and congratulations!

Stephan

Last edited by Rakthi; 05-23-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:28 AM
Big Dawg On The Bone

RCP57 is on a distinguished road

That's cool! Thanks for posting. I love the larger scale models.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:54 AM

Prop Shaft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
WOW, nice piece of kit! You must be one of the first to have this. Last time I checked they were still taking pre-orders.

Have been hoping someone would get one and start a build thread.

Thank you for that! Keep the pics and info coming

Looks like it will be a great vehicle when finished.

Cheers and congratulations!

Stephan
Thanks. They're pretty much readily available now, even *** is selling them. I bought mine from the same guy I bought my Tatra from. He gave me a better deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP57 View Post
That's cool! Thanks for posting. I love the larger scale models.
I've always tried to stick to true 1:10 scale myself. All though once in a while a model comes along that is so cool I throw that rule out the window!
Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 AM

Finally got the steering working properly. It was proving near impossible to get the steering arm centered at the same time the servo was centered. Plus there was alot of play in the cables my first attempt. Had to get clever and mount a spare link to the arm and chassis to hold it still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbL0vPB9X9M
Old 05-24-2015, 07:48 AM

I found it necessary to trim most of the rubber grommets off the servo wires. They are awful close to the horns and I was worried about them rubbing. I needed to get a sharper bend out of them. Also zip tied them to the servos to keep them clear.

Added a washer to the rear bumper mounts.

And got the servo bank all mounted up.

Front links assembled.

Mounted to axle.

Filled the shocks with oil. Don't forget the slime!

Decided to use some purple spacers here as there was over 2mm of slack.

And this is where the real problems started. After getting everything mounted up. I noticed the travel up front was being limited by something. Turned out the axle was hitting the pan-hard bar mount. The immediate fix was to extend the pan hard bar but then the axle was WAY off center. At least it looked it to me... Others might not have noticed but it was driving me nuts. Notice how much shock travel is left at full compression.

What I ended up doing was shimming the steering box/pan hard mount off the frame a bit to give it more clearance. And living with the axle being just a bit off center. It rubs now, but at least it has almost full travel now. Hoping after things break in it wont be an issue.

And heres where I'm at now with it. I spent a large portion of the day on this thing but the progress doesn't seem to show it. Its slow going being as meticulous as I am with something with so many parts....
Old 05-24-2015, 09:11 PM
Apprentice

Rakthi is on a distinguished road

Hi Prop, looks like their quest for realistic scale has infringed on the suspension. Seems like you found a solution though. On the pictures I can not make out if the axle is of centre. Did the oil for the shocks come with the model or is that an extra purchase? Looking forward to your next update. Must say the parts look meticulously machined.

If you are going to use the Jeep a lot you might have to trim the steering from time to time due to cable stretch. I guess they have provided the means for that.

Trimming the rubber of the servo wires ... neatly done! I would probably have nicked the wires themselves trying to do that.

Stephan

Last edited by Rakthi; 05-24-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakthi View Post
Hi Prop, looks like their quest for realistic scale has infringed on the suspension. Seems like you found a solution though. On the pictures I can not make out if the axle is of centre. Did the oil for the shocks come with the model or is that an extra purchase? Looking forward to your next update. Must say the parts look meticulously machined.

If you are going to use the Jeep a lot you might have to trim the steering from time to time due to cable stretch. I guess they have provided the means for that.

Trimming the rubber of the servo wires ... neatly done! I would probably have nicked the wires themselves trying to do that.

Stephan
Its hard to tell in the pic but the axle more to the right, and under compression it gets closer to being centered. No oil or grease is included. I threw in some 30wt. Yup there are adjusters for the cables. And the trimming the rubber wasnt bad trick is to use a nice sharp exacto and bend the grommet while making light cuts. If that makes any sense...